[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Vor 275 Points you get over 100 warp cultists. Do the math. :tongue.:

Over 100 Cultists and hours of extra unneeded time to a game.

Also: Custodes Terminators with Firepikes say hello.

600 points gets you 300 dudes. Even at 2000 points you can bring a crap-load of other stuff (tanks, fliers, etc.)

I'd say that's a pretty decent counter to Custodes. Especially considering all those culists can be zealot.

600 points gets you 300 dudes. Even at 2000 points you can bring a crap-load of other stuff (tanks, fliers, etc.)

I'd say that's a pretty decent counter to Custodes. Especially considering all those culists can be zealot.

Except custodes are t5 and if using shields -1 to hit. I mean I guess you might not kill anything but you will tarpit them all game.

But then you can just send 1 Av13 dread at them (preferably with the sword & shield) and perma tarpit them. Sure, you're using a 250pt dread to do it but hey, its immune to any S3 Rending the cultists can pump out unless it gets immobilized and will have a maximum of 8 Attacks on the charge (Rampage + Charge - average of 6/7 total for the D3) and 5-6 afterwards. Even on average dice, that dread is going to be stuck in until the end of the game most likely but, thankfully, the Levies are fearless and can't break from combat so the squad in question is no longer a threat to your other Custodians.

All assuming the good-to-perfect scenario of you getting a Galatus into combat with a Levy Squad.

Still, 6 50 man squads of Levies means you've maxed out your troops slots.

And, since they're rather cheaply available to Talons players, SoS Seeker Cadres with Flamers or Grenade Launchers (firing Frag) in an Acquisitor to get into position is another tool in the arsenal to deal with any massed infantry.

I'd probably take a squad of these anyways since I want to play mixed Custodes and SoS and having massed S6 Ap4 Shooting (with Krak Grenades) on top of the Acquisitors decently-ok guns, means theyre still useful against other armies despite being fragile T3 3+ save models.

Except custodes are t5 and if using shields -1 to hit. I mean I guess you might not kill anything but you will tarpit them all game.

Fearless & Rending are the go-to's when running Levies of any kind. Basically: roll 6s to do anything.

If anyone thinks waiting around for 300 cultists to do anything is fun in any way....sure?

I'd probably do it once for :cusss and giggles but otherwise? I'd rather repurpose those minutes/hour(s)

If you hide medusas, you shoot and have full scatter, so there is still decent chance that it will go off the mark. And he can still jink, so it's not that easy to kill it. Same with vindicators,except you will be probably hitting front flare shield. And maybe you won't be able to hide all of your medusas and vindicators...

grav rapiers are 1 shot, and he can jink, so 3 of them will do maybe 1-2 hp of single transport.

Lance levi is nice if you wanna drop pod him, and has to kill 3 transports to earn his points back, will he? His lance is ignored for lance rule since transports have ceramite, and there is also jink, os it's not like you have guarantee to kill it. If you don't drop pod him, good luck with him.

Lightning also has worse chance to kill this transport than spartan, since you are bs4 instead of 5, and he jinks and simply ignores half of your hits, you also have to kill almost 2 transports to earn your point back.

They are not unkilable, thing is, you have to pour so much fire power to even kill one, that's what's the problem. Because with jink,flare shield, good armors,ceramite they more survivable than a lot of stuff, and yet cost quite little for all that.

Nuncio Voxes???

A battery of rapiers also forces 3 instances of dangerous terrain which adds up to a 51% chance to immobilize those transports. Thats fantastic.

Melta lance doesn't have lance. it also doesn't need the melta rule at str 9 vs AV 12 or 11.

Lightning on average disables a transport.

I think the big thing you're missing is that an immobilized/dead transport isn't just the points of the transport, its that the unit inside now has to footslog for the rest of the game, which can take them out of the fight. You, in effect, get the points for the unit and the transport.

Their transports are skimmers, so only take terrain tests when starting/finishing in terrain (so will have to do a test if hit and then move) Edited by Syrex

I'm disappointed with these custodes, CCW dreads and demolishers are their bane

You'd think, but with invulns and a larger coherency range they mitigate a surprising amount of damage from blasts.

Plus there's Tankibune...But he's the type of cheese I want to see die.

As for CCW dreads, with the amount of lascannon shots we get with stuff, and just the caladius, they won't get close. And if they do, our dreads will tear them a new one.

I think he was being sarcastic lol.

I don't think so.

Are you though? Sarcasm doesn't translate into text well. :P

If your armies only weakness are the already very powerful tools that work against pretty much everything else you are pretty good. Plus we have awesome ways to mitigate those two threats anyways like str10ap1 powerfist. And deepstrike and outflanking machine killers

The Sword and Board troops will do well enough against most dreads.

-1 to hit, 5++ re-rollable and S5 Rending attacks... You can even pen Contemptors in combat with some luck.

But a melta bomb works better.

And a Solarite power gauntlet works even better than that. :)

The Achillus Dreadnought is an absolute beast. Its Dreadspear is not even optional - take it every time people! Whether you get one D hit for each 6 rolled or all D hits is neither here nor there - it's still going to wreck face.

What I'm trying to decide is if upgrading the fist weapons is worth it:

- the stock Lastrum storm bolters are actually pretty good. 2 shots each @ S5 AP4 with Heliothermic detonation. They don't synergise with the Dreadspear's Corvae las-pulser, but they are free.

- the TL Adrathic destructors are probably the best option. 2 shots each @ S6 AP2 with Instant Death, Armourbane & Get's Hot (which is mitigated by the Twin-linked rule). Only issue is the 15-point price tag.

- the Galatus has a TL Infernus incinerator for dealing with Infantry (and Rampage), so I'm not convinced it belongs on the Achillus. Helps them with crowd control, I suppose.

So do you think the Achillus is worth 270 points with a Dreadspear & 2 TL Adrathic destructors?

The Achillus would be able to get 2 Single Incinerators since it has 2 Lastrums to replace iirc. 2 Templates are likely to deal more damage than a single Twin-Linked one.

Yeah, it does. That's a fair point too - it might be better at crowd control than the Galatus!

- Achillus will have 2 S6 AP4 Templates, followed by D3 lascannon shots, and then 7 Dreadspear attacks.

- Galatus will have 1 S6 AP4 Template with Shred, followed by 6-9 warblade attacks.

Hmmm... they'd be the same price too.

If you hide medusas, you shoot and have full scatter, so there is still decent chance that it will go off the mark. And he can still jink, so it's not that easy to kill it. Same with vindicators,except you will be probably hitting front flare shield. And maybe you won't be able to hide all of your medusas and vindicators...

grav rapiers are 1 shot, and he can jink, so 3 of them will do maybe 1-2 hp of single transport.

Lance levi is nice if you wanna drop pod him, and has to kill 3 transports to earn his points back, will he? His lance is ignored for lance rule since transports have ceramite, and there is also jink, os it's not like you have guarantee to kill it. If you don't drop pod him, good luck with him.

Lightning also has worse chance to kill this transport than spartan, since you are bs4 instead of 5, and he jinks and simply ignores half of your hits, you also have to kill almost 2 transports to earn your point back.

They are not unkilable, thing is, you have to pour so much fire power to even kill one, that's what's the problem. Because with jink,flare shield, good armors,ceramite they more survivable than a lot of stuff, and yet cost quite little for all that.

Nuncio Voxes???

A battery of rapiers also forces 3 instances of dangerous terrain which adds up to a 51% chance to immobilize those transports. Thats fantastic.

Melta lance doesn't have lance. it also doesn't need the melta rule at str 9 vs AV 12 or 11.

I think the big thing you're missing is that an immobilized/dead transport isn't just the points of the transport, its that the unit inside now has to footslog for the rest of the game, which can take them out of the fight. You, in effect, get the points for the unit and the transport.

Their transports are skimmers, so only take terrain tests when starting/finishing in terrain (so will have to do a test if hit and then move)

Right, so when you shoot 3 large blasts at them, they're going to be in it; if they don't move then they're not any closer to you...

Nuncio Voxes???

Their transports are skimmers, so only take terrain tests when starting/finishing in terrain (so will have to do a test if hit and then move)

Right, so when you shoot 3 large blasts at them, they're going to be in it; if they don't move then they're not any closer to you...

Right, meaning they take one test. A 16% chance of immobilization (Not 51% as you previously stated). 

No, each blast is its own instance of terrain, same with phosphex. And as per the rules, while you only take one per turn per scenery piece, you can take multiple tests from multiple new instances of it

it depends how the blasts lie I suppose.

any that overlap, to me, would be one large piece of DT. But solo ones are just that.

A skimmer only has to take a dangerous terrain test if it begins or ends it move in difficult terrain, and due to the wording of the rule it does not matter how many such pieces it is in contact with, it is only one test maximum at each end of the move. Meaning 3 grav templates still only cause a single test as long as it moves away from them completely.

Actually had a real throw down today at 2750 points!

My list:

Valdor

3 man hetearon squad 2 fists, one paragon 3 shields

3 man hetaeron squad 2 fist one paragon blade and shield

3 man sentinel 1 vex and fist

3 man sentinel 1 vex and fist

3 man guard with melta bombs

3 man guard with melta bomb

3 man guard 

Heavy dread

Heavy dread

1 caladius

1X3 Pallas 

He had something like a 5 man squad of  emperors children termies with a tribune, Fulgrim in a kitted spartan, 1 20 man tac squad 1 10 man tac squad a vetran squad, a palentine blade squad with Ediolon and jump packs and a kheres dread, and a 10 man kakophonie squad.

Game play was war of lies dawn of war deployment. 

He won roll off but knew with Valdor as my warlord I had an ok chance to steal so he had me deploy first.

I set up caladius dead center, the dreads on left flank and pallas spread around and everybody on the board at once since I didn't want to be coming in and standing around with Fulgrim on the board lobbing heads off. 

Turn one sees the caladius blow away a few of the kakophione, every pallas fail to even glance the dread and that was about it.

His turn he pushes forward, with enough bolters and kheres and las cannons in range to drop one of the Hetaerons from Valdors squad, and put a wound on valdor from the kakophonie. 

He keeps his spartan surprisingly far back. 

Turn 2: 

Pallas manage a pen on the dread from side armor, a sentinal squad is able to make a Long charge into ediolons squad and after the blades swing, it's Eidolan and one blade standing, and the fist swings bringing them both to paste, though Eidolan manages a wound on my fist as well, I consolidate as far around a LOS blocking terrain as I can as that contemptor of his is too close.

The dreads are nearly to their targets now, the kakophonie and the 20 man tac squad who are holding an objective. The rest is me positioning to attempt to force Fulgrim and crew to get into a tarpit of bodies to slow him down. Shooting forces the kakophonie to ground, the Caladius is reaping heavy tools with machine spirit on them and the 20 man tac squad.

His turn: Kakophonie kill one of their numbers with gets hot. The contemptor brings low the vexila carring sentinel and denies himself line of sight to the remaining squad.

The Spartan plays coy yet again choosing to pivot and pot shot the closest dread, and proceeds to blow it sky high and takes another wound off a random guardian. 

Turn 3:

The final heavy dread won't be denied carnage, he closes to within 2 inches of the kakophonie who can only stare into death.

I bring valdor around to take pot shots at the 20 man tac squad with the full support of 2 other guardian squads close by.

The pallas glance but the contemptor dread saves. Not highly impressed by this str8 gun. 

The sentinel squad that lost the vexila make a great move through cover roll and are staring down the enemy veteran squad.  

Caladius shooting again drops swaths of the 20 man squad.

The Custodian dread is disgusting. Rolling an additional 3 attacks for rampage sees all 6 of the remaining Kakophonie slaughtered to a man. 

The Sentinel squad makes into combat with the veterans taking wounds on overwatch, slicing through 3 of the enemy but drawing combat regardless due to the fulgrim and terminator bonus.

His Turn: Fulgrim hits the field running, The spartan pivots and plows towards Valdor and his squad. He opts to multi-charge since it would deny one of my guardian squads the ap2 charge. 

Things got ridiculous. Between a disgusting number of saves made by the Hetaerons and Valdor (albeit still bringing him to 2 wounds) Fulgrims charge sees only one full custode hetaeron dead (The one that accepted the challenge from Fulgrim), menwhile Valdor carves a disgusting chunk of the terminators to bits. Hole-E-carps. Valdor is a monster against non-primarchs. The paragon blade Hetaeron finishes the terminators and only Fulgrim and the Tribune remain. Meanwhile the 2nd squad he charged has their blades bounce uselessly off the Tribune. 

Being able to accept challenges with any custode is full stupid. In the proceeding turns Fulgrim coninues to wipe away squads of sentinels while Valdor stabs him in the glorious locks. I would simply charge in the next squad of guardians, accept the challenge from the squad that no longer had ap2, and let Fulgrim rip through them while I slowly bled the beast.

In the end Fulgrim murdered no less than 7 custodes solo, and brought valdor and a Hetaeron to a single wound each. If he had hit me earlier in a location I couldn't have easily channeled bodies into, Fulgrim might have been able to solo my army. He just purges our small 3 man units. 

Meanwhile though the rest of the board looks grim for the EC. The custodes dread (after failing to murder the land raider but taking two hullpoints off it) slaughters the remainders of the 20 man tac squad (again JEEBUS H SO MANY ATTACKS). The EC contemptor makes it's way into the CC hetaerons, and whiffs EVERYTHING. Landing one hit and no wounds. Well the 8 attacks at str10ap1 come back hard and the dread blows sky high.

The same Hetaeron squad that murdered the contemptor takes down the land raider with disgusting ease. 10 str10 ap1 hits with master crafted fists...well it hurt. 

Fulgrim FINALLY falls to a paragon blade Hetaeron. (BTW it is not till about 10 minutes after the game that my opponent remembers fulgrim has child of terra...which would have MOST CERTAINLY made a difference several times). 

He calls it with the fall of fulgrim. I still have 1 heavy dread, every pallas and caladius, 1 sentinel squads, 1 full hetaeron squad, Valdor and the lone Hetaeron with paragon blade, and 2 guardian squads He had only 4 of his veterans and a chaplain remaining. 

All in all an overwhelming victory for custodes HOWEVER, if I had  not made some magical saves with valdor and the hetaeron squad, Fulgrims instant death would have chewed through me. He is a fearsome opponent. He also held fulgrim back a turn too long, he had a huge hole in my army to plop fulgrim to just start wiping squads left and right, and should have done so turn 2. I think he was extremely worried about the golden dreads Which is fair since he can only glance them on 6s.  Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/3asMU