[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Hellex, do you think a Caladius would have worked better than several Pallas?

Aye, I just read the bat rep too.

To me, the rules for the Pallas are just underwhelming. I actually think the Legion Javelin is downright better, providing a lot more shoots at the expense of a fair bit of survivability for a similar cost.

Unless you are aiming to KO Rhinos, a single S8 AP1 shot is quite underwhelming for 85 points, even with Exoshock.

The Adrathic version is, however quite interesting. S6 AP2 Armourbane is (at least in my mind) statistically better than the single blaze cannon shot. Average roll is 13 and while you aren't aiming to explode, you'll strip HP much better.

My thoughts were along the same lines. I was thinking less vehicles but a Caladius with the heavy blaze cannon might be the way to go.

Less dakka but higher chance to kill? Needs testing I suppose.

End of the day, unless you're shooting at AV10 (imo, even 11 is pushing it) the results are going to be varied with the blaze canon. AV10 means a 2+ then a 2+ is at least some sort of HP damage. If you fluff it then... Well you have a 2HP vehicle. In a squadron, outflanking could be good. But in that case I'd rather the Adrathic as you get more shots that are more useful again any kind of target.

Ultimate artillery killers, really.

I think that EC player could possibly have run a more efficient list, and I don't mean that in a WAAC way, but it sounded like stomping someone who just got the BoP box set plus a character. I think I will reserve judgement for how high tier the golden bananas are until they face metacized lists.

After doing some comparisons, I'm of the opinion that Hetaeron probably won't get access to paragon spears, unless they get a points bump up to 20 ppm. That's the same price a sheild-captain pays for it, and he pays the same amount as hetaeron for other wargear (gauntlets/talons, pithite/adrathic).

If that's the case, would sentinels with sentinel swords/praesidium shields be suitable counts-as for paragon blades? Or should I swap for a more suitable blade?

At this point we may as well wait until Adepticon or the summer to really get to see custodes against actual lists. I have some theories myself but I won't be able to play against them for sometime. 

Some of the options might seem a little otp, but eliminating their scoring units as soon as possible, while keeping your own alive is probably going to be the best option. 

Haven't read through every post (sorry) but remind me :

When would you take a Hetaeron Guard over a regular Custodian or Sentinel? Obviously one is more expensive and has better stats but apart from filling the FoC slots, is math or some other reason to support taking one over the other?

Thanks!

For the ability to dish out obscene amount of ap1 or 2 hits. They are our most reliable terminator and armor killers.

Taking them in 3 to 5 man groups with 31st least one shield and paragon blade for ending challenges asap and two with only fists for you know 10 str10 ap1 mastercrafted powerfist hits.

Wiped a Spartan and a contemptor with a 3 man squad of them yesterday.

Haven't read through every post (sorry) but remind me :

When would you take a Hetaeron Guard over a regular Custodian or Sentinel? Obviously one is more expensive and has better stats but apart from filling the FoC slots, is math or some other reason to support taking one over the other?

Thanks!

Hetaerons are more efficient on a wounds/cost ratio. Regular Custodes are 27.5 points per wound, Hetaeron are 23.3 and gain an extra attack as well. Their weapon options are also better, a mix of Paragon Spears/Blades and Solerite Gauntlets is a dangerous unit even if your only running 3.

Any thoughts on the glaive as a counter to custodes? I realize they have the larger coherency but AP2 deflagrate could be pretty scary. Also gives you ignores cover haywire for all the flare-shielded skimmers.

I mean....most low are painful. I would be more worried about a knight pophyrion than a glaive.

What about Terminators vs Sagittar for a shooty unit?

The Saggitar are SO SO COOL. Coolest models IMO.

...But a Heavy Bolter? Really? They needed AP3 to be relevant. But, you bring them for the death laser, which is awesome.

The way to use them is similar to the Pallas, pop them in a transport and outflank to crush the side of an enemy.

The TDA however basically get similar shooting though, with twin-linked death rays (no more gets hot!) on top of survivability and melee prowess. Plus the option for flamers, which are better than the heavy bolter component...

Are you guys doing anything modeling wise to differentiate between Hetaeron and your basic guard squads?

I was thinking maybe adding cloaks to anything included as Hetaeron.

Also, this army is really tough to decide on elites choices