Reading Chaos

Darkbubba66

I consider myself a loyalist kind of guy, but just to scratch an itch I tried reading Chaos stuff. I feel guilty because I really like reading about the Chaos Space Marines. I enjoyed the deep character development the characters seem to have especially in the Night Lords Omnibus by ADB. For the first time I felt I knew why certain primarchs rebelled and in a way I sympathized with them. I felt bad for Kurze and in reading The First Heretic and Betrayer I began to understand Lorgar and Angron. I'll never like Lorgar or Fulgrim, but, as far as anyone can, I like Curze and Angron. I enjoyed Talos and Khârn and ADB is the man! Can anyone recommend more Chaos for me to read? I would really like to read more about the Night Lords and World Eaters. Thanks.

Everything from ADB. Do it.

I once was like you and now my soul is twisted by his work and I'm enjoying Chaos as well.

That being sad:

Night Lords trilogy - 40k

Talon of Horus - 40k

Betrayer - 30k

The First Heretic - 30k

And of course his short stories, etc.

As you'd said, he lets you emphasize with traitors and that's really well done.

I also have the Wors Bearers omnibus here but haven't had the time to start it as I got other pearls to read. Don't know how it is. :)

I consider myself a loyalist kind of guy, but just to scratch an itch I tried reading Chaos stuff. I feel guilty because I really like reading about the Chaos Space Marines. I enjoyed the deep character development the characters seem to have especially in the Night Lords Omnibus by ADB. For the first time I felt I knew why certain primarchs rebelled and in a way I sympathized with them. I felt bad for Kurze and in reading The First Heretic and Betrayer I began to understand Lorgar and Angron. I'll never like Lorgar or Fulgrim, but, as far as anyone can, I like Curze and Angron. I enjoyed Talos and Khârn and ADB is the man! Can anyone recommend more Chaos for me to read? I would really like to read more about the Night Lords and World Eaters. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses. I like both 30k and 40k. What do people think of the Word Bearers and Iron Warriors. What can I read that will give me a better picture of the World Eaters?

Read Khârn - Eater of Worlds! It was an awesome read about the era between 30k and 40k.

Indeed. Khârn story and further transformation was done splendidly.

ADB is kind of the go to dude for chaos characters with redeeming qualities. Most other authors do pure evil chaos or bombastic villain chaos.

That's why he wrote a 'Master of Mankind' with one big villain msn-wink.gif LOL laugh.png

If you read the Night Lord's trilogy I'd also recommend reading the "Lord of Night". Good for perspective.

I read it and it guided me into reading The Night Lords trilogy. It was pretty good. Did Spurrier write anything else after that?

I love ADB but really disliked Talon. It was incredibly over the top at moments and Abaddon has a massive personality transplant that has him mimicking the gregarious Huron Blackheart.

The most amazing parts of that book for me is completely non story related... ie passing through the Emperor's light was so cool.

For Chaos aside from the great stuff you've already read I think it's a great time to revisit the Thousand Sons stories. A very old gem that was my first favourite was Storm of Iron...a very rare read from that era that stands the test of time.

A lot of the stuff surrounding and including Betrayer is gold. Don't leave out the side stories, they're at times better than the full novels. ADB gave a passionate and charismatic appeal to the world eaters I don't think can be matched.

The stuff surrounding Calth is really good too but especially Know No Fear. Although it is based from the Ultramarines point of view this is the first real face to face, full on betrayal of brother versus brother and the opening moments are haunting as it truly signifies the beginning of the end.

The Ahriman trilogy! It's such a different take from other chaos marine stuff I've read and the Thousand Sons have such unique perspectives and issues that they're dealing with.

I really want to read the Ahriman Trilogy since I read A Thousand Sons. Magnus is one of my favorite primarchs and his story and that of his legion is truly tragic. Which book tells of Ahriman dooming his legion with the curse of the rubric?

The Ahriman trilogy! It's such a different take from other chaos marine stuff I've read and the Thousand Sons have such unique perspectives and issues that they're dealing with.

I really want to read the Ahriman Trilogy since I read A Thousand Sons. Magnus is one of my favorite primarchs and his story and that of his legion is truly tragic. Which book tells of Ahriman dooming his legion with the curse of the rubric?
Well... None of them. It's one of those things that is shown in flashback in bits and pieces, but you're never there for the actual rubric event.

The Siege of Castellax has, to me, the definitive Iron Warriors depiction. Utterly ruthless, efficient and brutal.

I think it needs to me mentioned that Storm of Iron, to me is the book that set me up collecting the Chaos army I have now, but Siege of Castellax is the second book that sold me on the Iron Warriors. Its also a good book as its a interesting one as it doesn't feature the Imperium.

The Siege of Castellax has, to me, the definitive Iron Warriors depiction. Utterly ruthless, efficient and brutal.

I think it needs to me mentioned that Storm of Iron, to me is the book that set me up collecting the Chaos army I have now, but Siege of Castellax is the second book that sold me on the Iron Warriors. Its also a good book as its a interesting one as it doesn't feature the Imperium.

Also strangely TBA has a very 'prolific' Iron Warriors.

Archived