Astra Militarium Start

Fiore dei Liberi

Hi !

New to the Forum and thanks for validating my account !

As the Topic name implies i want to start an AM Army and hoping for your Council and Advice smile.png

I played around with some options on my Battlescribe Armyplaner and my prime question is cause it determines my next steps are the Rules for Tallarn Desert Raiders official or just optional ? Are FW Rules allowed on Tournaments ?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Welcome to the B&C and barracks Fiore biggrin.png Are you new to the hobby as well? Tournaments are subject to their own rules so it entirely depends on the tournament in question. Most people are fine with FW but older rules are sometimes less favoured especially with the tighter ship most tourneys like to run. When in doubt have a plan to run with the normal codex thumbsup.gif

Would you be looking at Tallarn models, or a DIY regiment using their rules? Sadly the Made to Order event has ended for Guard, so some of the Tallarn kits that were long gone have vanished once more :( Have you thought about what style of army you'd like to build or can we infer as much from your mention of the Tallarn? Last but not least any thoughts on a colour scheme for your Guard?

Like WF said these days most tournaments are ok with FW, although you will always have to check.

The biggest issue will probably be the age of the rules given FW doesnt necessarily keep up with the main 40k rule set.

Casually you will probably be fine against most codex (especially given guard isn't a particular powerhouse). However just check with the tournament organised. I find the smaller store / club events tend to have more restrictions on FW than larger events.

Welcome to the Guard son. I assume you already have your flak, weapon and bedding. There are plenty of folks here to answer your questions, but remember not to cross the commissariat, their fingers can be a bit...twitchy...

are the Rules for Tallarn Desert Raiders official or just optional ?

Everything from Forgeworld is official. Everything from Forgeworld is also optional. If you intend to run Tallarn desert raiders, you will most definitely want to use those rules (I find them to be outstanding), mostly because the Codex: Astra Militarum doesn't differentiate the different regiments (which is a shame). 

Thanks for the fast answers and the warm welcome smile.png I played 40 k the last time when i was 12 years old so 20 years ago biggrin.png I guess it was 2nd edition at that time.

I try to make a rouge trader style PMC army and according to the warhammer 40 k lore they take there Soldiers from various planets. So i try to add some Kroot models and various uniforms and color patterns. Over the last months i bought many bitz and kits for conversions and tried and i am still triying to get a better painter and not make them look as if iam still 12 years old tongue.png. So i am very happy to see that these rules and doctrines are offical.

If you intend to run Tallarn desert raiders, you will most definitely want to use those rules (I find them to be outstanding), mostly because the Codex: Astra Militarum doesn't differentiate the different regiments (which is a shame).

I played Blood Angels 20 Years ago so i am new to Guard and must say that for my type of army i want to create having the freedom to buy 1 Squad with Tallarn Doctrine the other one with Greandier Doctrine and add elysian or krieg vehicles for example adds a lot of flexibility as if the they are bound to one codex or am i mistaken ?? according to battlescribe i am not.

I can't read "PMC" without doing it in Snake's voice :P Don't forget to post up pictures of your models, unless they're xenos ones ;)

The Tallarn FW rules are an addition to the Guard codex, but the Elysians and Krieg bits are from their own codex. A bit like how you can't use unique Blood Angels units as part of a Dark Angels army. Not directly at least, as we have the allies system now :)

I can't read "PMC" without doing it in Snake's voice tongue.png

Hehe first that was in my mind but then i reconsidered it and decided a more 40 k like theme laugh.png.

WarriorFish, on 29 Oct 2016 - 9:12 PM, said: The Tallarn FW rules are an addition to the Guard codex, but the Elysians and Krieg bits are from their own codex.

So if i just take the Tallarn doctrine for my Vets i am good and do not need to make an allied detachment ?

thanks btw

Don't forget to post up pictures of your models, unless they're xenos ones msn-wink.gif

Thanks for your interest i will look to it when i have my first models finished and hopefully they are not offending your eyes biggrin.png

My understanding of the Tallarn upgrade is that it's done on a squad by squad basis, so yes you'd be able to buy it for a Vet squad smile.png

Excellent my Plan for an parallel imperium is about to begin hahahahah tongue.png

Archived