Which Warlord Trait?

Normal Norman

I am new to AM/IG in 7th and I am wondering which Warlord trait table people roll on.

It seems to me that if your Warlord is a tank commander then it is sensible to use the codex ones as the first three are the really good ones. Otherwise if you are using a CCS or Lord Com then unless your army is built around giving orders then is it is a bit of risk to take the codex ones despite old grudges or grand strategist.

The majority of the strategic traits are good as they were in 6th and I assume that very few people take command or personal traits with Guard especially as ones HQ tends to sit in a transport and can't project an aura. Thinking about it the command traits may not be bad for a Tank Commander but are no doubt overshadowed by the AM codex ones.

I haven't tried the tactical traits but some of them seem really good, rerolling the dice for victory points feels like a game winner to me.

For Guard one of the less direct ones is best as you're not going to be fighting much. Strategic is my favourite, Tactical is good for Maelstrom but I find a bit too random along with the nature of how the objectives work. I prefer a more reliable improvement that can help my army more directly :)

Yeh Im with WF

Depends what your playing

Strategic and tactical are good if you want to try and leverage reserves and cover or get a leg up on maelstrom.

The strategic one can be particularly random and ineffective at times.

The guard one is good if you want to maximise the use of your CCS/HQ. Unless I play maelstrom in future I'll probably use the guard traits as they're a bit more useful across the board. Compared to a few of the useless strategic ones you can be lumped with.

I play 5 different armies (Astra militarum, Blood angels, Chaos space marines, Khorne Daemonkin and Orks). A little golden rule I've come up with across all armies is "When in doubt, pick strategic". You're very unlikely to get a trait that is useless and depending on the game some of them can turn your army from strong to frightening.

If you have a mechanic that allows you to pick your warlord trait (I think Creed does, and the SA Lord Marshal does, or if your group has a house rule like mine, and lets you pick your trait) I'd say strategic, and Master of Ambush. 

If you don't have any of that, I'd still say strategic is the best table to roll on.

I find the Tactical table's worth depends on many variables - lists, opponent and the nature of the game/missions. Sometimes objectives are going to be an uphill battle so you've got to make the decision on if you'll gamble and take the roll in hopes that you can use it to level the playing field some. Otherwise ceding it to shore yourself up elsewhere to try and steal an advantage somewhere else can work. Against armies more mobile than me and who will be closing the gap I've not managed to get much from it confused.gif

As mentioned the Guard's Warlord table isn't too bad so is always worth a roll if you're unsure smile.png Especially if you're running a CAD (as most are I expect) and you have a re-roll thumbsup.gif

As mentioned the Guard's Warlord table isn't too bad so is always worth a roll if you're unsure smile.png Especially if you're running a CAD (as most are I expect) and you have a re-roll thumbsup.gif

Is it? I looked it over and it seems like the first two are pretty dead, the third a one-shot, and I'm just not sure about 4, 5, and 6.

Is that just because I'm a marine player and not used to 25%+ casualties and orders?

EDIT: I just re-read 6. I can't imagine that I want my NCOs and officers issuing challenges, rerolls or no...

Are you looking at the Guard's Warlord traits table? It's on pages 27/104 of the codex and has some nice bonuses for Guard armies:

1. Outflanking an be very good depending on what you send and provide some excellent mobility (albeit sneakily). Don't forget all the "Tactical Genius" and "Creeeeeeeed" jokes you can shake a stick at msn-wink.gif
  2. Preferred enemy is good reason to always make sure your CCS is making use of some BS4 even if only a bit. Pask has it for no small reasons.
  3. Keep your Warlord near your troops and it's golden for keeping troops in the fight, especially if you run lots of cheap units skulking about annoying your opponent as I do biggrin.png
  4. Relentless is situational depending on your CCS load out, though someone like a Lord Commissar attaching to a unit to make use of it would be fun - my least favourite due to how specific it is to build.
  5. I really like this one, helps keep your commander a bit further from danger while still issuing orders to the line units.
  6. Another good one for orders, as you usually have someone who can receive an order - when in doubt issue FRFSRF! tongue.png

I think it's pretty standard for a traits table in that a few will vary in worth depending on your build but for most Guard builds there's useful rolls to be had which is why I consider it a good default to fall back to.

Is it? I looked it over and it seems like the first two are pretty dead, the third a one-shot, and I'm just not sure about 4, 5, and 6.

Is that just because I'm a marine player and not used to 25%+ casualties and orders?

EDIT: I just re-read 6. I can't imagine that I want my NCOs and officers issuing challenges, rerolls or no...

Are you looking at the warlord traits for the Cadian battlegroup specifically?

Archived