Zero to Hero (?) - Diary of a Novice

suxdavide

• 1 month later...

my suggestion: After painting, gloss finish followed by oil paint washes, which are then easy to clean up with mineral spirits and a cloth/q-tip, than the far less flexible nuln old wash crap that so many folks flood their minis with. Then of course flat or satin coat, your choice.  Take a gander at Shnauzerfacedminis on youtube for some great advice, and of course, Painting Buddha there as well. They set pretty high, obtainable standards.

• 1 month later...

I've recently successfully passed an exam so I had a little (very little) time for the hobby. I went to Ikea and bought a shelf because of miniatures and not only. I also painted my first ravenwing, I'm not finished yet since I've yet to use oils and highlights but I thought it would have been worse :smile.:

As always here is the album with all the photos: http://imgur.com/a/V3EkS

and here a preview :smile.:

http://i.imgur.com/iTCHjmV.png

That's a pretty good start, well done! :smile.:

If I may make a few observations that I think will help you?

First up, some very simple working methods, which you may (or not) already do:

- Put some paint onto a palette (an old white ceramic plate is usually best in my experience), and add a little clean water to thin it. For base paints I'd add about equal water to paint, and for the layer paints maybe half water to paint. Close the pots as soon as you take paint from them, as this stops them drying out or getting too crusty.

- Rinse your brush, and dab it onto a lint-free cloth to remove excess water (the brush should still be damp afterwards though). Then draw paint from the palette a little at a time with your brush to paint the model.

- Once the first layer of paint is dry, do a second (or third) thin coat to get solid coverage. Building up two or three thin coats is *always* better than hoping to get coverage from one coat, regardless of how thick or good the paint is. The paint is also easier to clean up with a wet brush if you accidentally get it somewhere you shouldn't.

- Have two or three pots of water for rinsing your brushes in. I would suggest a dark colours, light colours, and a metallics. This stops you accidentally getting colours muddied or metallic flakes in regular paints.

Next up are a few suggestions on technique:

- Instead of starting with a white or black undercoat, consider starting with something more neutral. I find that a mid-light grey primer is easier to see, lets me paint bright or dark colours fairly easily, and any missed areas in tight spots are simply a neutral colour that doesn't stand out much.

- Highlighting can be quite difficult to do neatly, especially on the starter box models which often have soft details. You might therefore find it easier to start with a lighter colour, and then wash down two or three times to get the main colours and shading done; the lighter areas on the highest model parts will then be naturally highlighted for you.

- Light colours like ivory or white will need an intermediate colour first to reduce the number of coats you will need to get an even finish. So a mid-light grey before doing your layers of white, or a beige before doing your layers of ivory. Without these intermediate colours, it can take six or seven thin coats to get a smooth white or ivory!

- Metal paints often don't cover very well either. Consider using an intermediate colour first to help them. A tan or beige for gold, and a mid-grey for silver help them look more solid, which reduces the number of metal paint layers you will need. You can even mix a little of the metallic into the intermediate colour to help it further. So a grey and silver mix will probably only need a second pure silver coat to give you a nice solid finish for example.

- Don't forget that you can mix washes on your palette to get different colours too, just like paint. So if you need to add a little yellow/black/blue to a green wash in order to help get you the colour you want, that's fine. Stick to simple ratios and write them down so that you can remember them for next time.

- When you've finished your models, maybe gloss varnish them and then seal them with matte. This helps to protect them, but it also helps to "even out" your paintwork. The gloss varnish fills in and smooths over small imperfections in the model's surface, and then when you apply the matte afterwards you get a much smoother and softer-looking finish.

Anyway, these are just my observations. You seem to have reasonably good brush control already, and hopefully soon enough you will be getting neater and more even results. Also, you should always look for a way to let the paints work for you rather than the other way around - techniques like washing down rather than highlighting up for example - as these make your life much easier! :wink:

• 3 months later...

So after a while (a big while) I ended up not postponing the 30k anymore. Yesterday I went to a friend of mine's house and decided the scheme for the RG.
I yet have to decide which base to use, since I already have Martian-like terrain on 40k I'd go for something else but it has to create contrast with the miniature and the "GSW"'s roll for fabric makes no sense atm... Suggestions?
8Hu4klb.png
The scheme is quite easy and relies on drybrushing and sponge so I won't take too much time for unit and have an appealing (at least to me xD) appear.
:smile.:

@Major_Gilbear thx for the tips, I forgot to thank you but I followed, or tried to at least, your guidelines ^^

Edited by suxdavide

• 2 months later...

So it's been quite a while since my last post and I'd say I managed to accomplish more than I did in the last year (and even then I didn't do much).

To start with I built two tactical squad and painted one; I decided to name the first ever model Primus Editaeh and the sergeant Velka Orru, for the second squad the sergeant answers to Eitah Osai.

sY8BKjq.jpg

Thanks to a friend and member of the group I play with we decided to match a base texture based on sand and rocks, those are then undercoated with Celestra Grey and washed with Sepia, I kinda like the result ( the first tactical squad has the older one though since I didn’t plan anything in detail when I did that ).

jkWRopw.jpg?1

Since we’re talking bases I made the Dreadnought ones even if I’m not totally sure I’ll be using these for the Raven Guard: the list I have in mind relies on hard hitting and fragile units and those (Deredeo and Contemptor) don’t fit that much, I’ll see…

qEDB6h2.jpg

The main event of the latest months though relies on the first HQ for my 30k, this is either a Chaplain or general consul (probably the latest since I forgot the Crozius) to deploy in smaller games: Velka Orru. I’m happy with the result but the skin, on my first try it came out as a more “raven guardish” tone but the fear of ruining the model makes me unable to fix it :tongue.:

lUss8XY.jpg

I also tried to scratch build the praetor Artaasori Conirostris but I’m waiting on him since I’ll be deploying him with Jump Pack and I’d love to use a particular one (the winning idea is to use the JP from Astorath the Grim Blood Angel’s character and I’ll be using the body as a diabolist for my next legion). Kinda confused on the weapons too since I’d like to use the champion of the emperor’s sword (Black Templars) or a lance from the GK, I’ll be seeing that. (You’ll also find a photo with mk7 JP but that won’t be obviously used)

Yesterday I wanted to do something and cleaned and prepared the terminators cataphractii (kinda not the fluffiest choice but I had those and didn’t want to buy Tartaros) for primer.

q6uFGCC.jpg

In the end something had to be done for my productivity and oorganisation so lurking the forum the kanban flow has been discovered and I’m now trying to stick to these two workflow :smile.:

Again all the photos those are not directly showed in the post are here :smile.:

PS: I also fixed some Speeders and tried to unprimer some drop pod but failed at both: I’ll be trying again for the speeders and will primer the drop pod on a second layer.

PPS: We also made an event in Tuscany (Italy) for HH and this is our group :smile.:

jSkrqPq.jpg

Your stuff is brilliantly painted for someone so new to the hobby, a million times better than mine ever was. with the librarian I would do the following

1. A wash of reikland flesh over the skin and then reaply the skin colour you have used on the raised areas. itll give more definition to the face.

2. in all the recesses I would do a wash of Nuln Oil 

3. then i would do a wash of  Agrax Earth shade on the bone on his left shoulder pad, then reaply the bone colour you hae used on the raised areas 

Your stuff is brilliantly painted for someone so new to the hobby, a million times better than mine ever was. with the librarian I would do the following

1. A wash of reikland flesh over the skin and then reaply the skin colour you have used on the raised areas. itll give more definition to the face.

2. in all the recesses I would do a wash of Nuln Oil 

3. then i would do a wash of  Agrax Earth shade on the bone on his left shoulder pad, then reaply the bone colour you hae used on the raised areas 

Thank you! I'll be probably trying what you suggested this Thursday since the next things I need for HH are nowhere but in the warp and I'm quite bored of painting black :)

• 4 months later...

As always I say one thing and do the opposite: I've been struggling at finding motivation for both paint and build, at the same time I didn't post the (very few) updates I did sooooo...

Tonight I decided I had to build a few veterans for my Dark Angels and then I did it: 1 was already build with power maul + plasma pistol, the  others ended up being 4x combiplasma and one having a force sword too. I liked the idea of having a small force able to hit at a medium distance and good at fighting as well. They will be on a razorback with an HQ or apothecary most of the time.

I also made a recon squad for the 30k army so they also will be posted (as always) in the imgur album :smile.: These guys will be on a rhino (also built) with a multi melta looking for a tricky veihicle to hit and then die as valorous men :smile.:

A rapier has been cleaned and half assembled as well, poor boys the only mk3 in the army (probably but a support later on)

There is a happy family photo (30k) all together with the things I built and painted in this year (or whatever time it has been :ohmy.:)

So here is the album and attached is the recap of the things I did :smile.:

VMEWY09.jpg

Edited by suxdavide

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done much this week but by finishing the 4 tacticals I had left I finally have QG + 2 troops for starting playing :smile.:

I must say I'm happy with the result, this is what I'd like to see for a gaming level of miniatures (for my standard)

A recap pic is attached and HERE the full album

LaIMXTv.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been, as always, a very stressfull time because exams and other things so I didn't find as much time as I wanted, also I didn't feel that much into painting and ended up building/magnetizing quite enjoying it.

I built the praetor and magnetized a few units (assault squad sergeant) + contemptor, attached is a quick recap and HERE the full album :smile.:

ZyTAYps.jpg

Obviously the contemptor has yet to be glued and that was just to check on the pose. Also I ended up giving a shot at necromunda giving sense to the dark vengeance's chaos cults and really enjoyed the time. I will be posting the images asap :smile.:

Edited by suxdavide

• 2 months later...

As many times before here I am late recapping the latest months.

Unfortunately lately my dad got hit in an accident and I've been having a few moments to paint and build: here are the main things I accomplished these months

First of all I painted the support squad and the contemptor I built back in the days, finished a the two rhinos and managed to check-in at our group event playing a small team (500 points IIRC).

I also built and painted (latest additions) 5 dark furies, built 5 heavy support (missiles), 5 mor deythan (magnetizing a few combiweapons and looking for more) a Deredeo (magnetizing the torso as well).

Enough words being said here are some PICS and attached a recap image of all the accomplishements :smile.:

I0WMcv3.jpg

This time double photo since I'm really happy of how my contemptor came out :smile.:

fuGSD8B.jpg

Edited by suxdavide

• 3 weeks later...

The quest for 3k continues and since I'll be joining a 2k event in september I had to build a few pieces to get along my main army.

I finally built the dreadclaw (magnetizing the outer supports) and finished the 10 man assault squad, managed to get some time to search the missing rapier (that fu**er was hiding in the spartan's bag I don't even know why) and decided to change the praetor's look into something lighter (the sword I intended to use was the Emperor's Champion one but being made out of metal I was skeptical about the resin capability to hold such a weight) and ended up using the Korvydae's arms (a friend had those) with a blade in place of the maul :smile.:

So here the recap and HERE the pics of the full album (I also uploaded a few pictures I took before the match I had, there is my army)

pgOe1BP.jpg

As I wrote I had a match last sunday with a few friends (RG and DA vs NL and AL) and I had a lot of fun: tactically speaking I'm not sure about what happened, a few errors here and there (3 fire turns to get the multi melta on the rhino to make a superficial dmg to a vindicator that kept ignoring me and such) but I liked the Deredeo that much I ended up changing my idea of 3k army :tongue.:

HERE are some pictures from the game, make sure to check them out since the other people's armies are stunning (DA's mostly but AL and NL are gorgeous as well).

Check you soon with the updated painted version, wishing for a clean and dry day to primer them out :smile.:

Edited by suxdavide

• 2 months later...

I really can't stand continuity so here I am late again :P

During the latest months I've been quite struggling to find a few moments to dedicate to the hobby: I've played once KT without my miniatures, didn't proceed with the RG (but primered and painted Dreadclaw and rapiers) plus bought a few pieces for AT (reaver + 2 warhounds).

I managed to build and magnetise the reaver, didn't give the same attention to the warhound since I've first decided to pose it with a few ruins and then lost the will to do it once they arrived :P

The main update of the few months passed is a new project (a part of the AT) on my second legion in HH (I've a solid 2k of RG and all the pieces to reach 3k easily) basing the army on things I already owned plus a few additions:

Word Bearers.

Spartan (bought for the AL that I didn't ever started) + 2 Land Raiders (relics of my 2000s 40k years), a few cata termies (10), 10 gal vorbak (5 bought and 5 recycled from the DV's box), 10 veterans on a rhino and 2 quad mortars. This is the spine of the list that I' mwilling to finish for the next HH_Tuscany event :)

So enough words misspelled here is the usual recap photo and the album for further curiosity :)

06DklP9.jpg

• 3 months later...

Quick update of the latest months, I've been doing many jumps from one project to another and ended up finishing nothing :tongue.:

To recap a little:

- Started painting the reaver, bought a warlord and 2 warhounds, got for christmas 2 IK from my girl and stalled the whole AT -.-'

- Built around 2000ish points of WB (mostly 2 land raiders, 10 terminators, 10 veterans, 2 quad mortar, 2 qg and 8 gal vorbak) but painted only 4 terminators + 5 veterans, the chaplain and primed the praetor :tongue.:

- Got sh*t done finishing the RG's building process: I now have built everything and need to get this project finished ASAP (5 dark furies, 5 mor deythan, 5 assault marines, 1 Fire Raptor and 1 damocles rhino) BUT I almost did the whole praetor :tongue.:

OcU0jB8.jpg 

Here is the quick recap photo and then the whole album will be available here instead :smile.:

Quick preview on the praetor too :smile.:

NhULTMC.jpg

• 2 years later...

JW0AqZ4.jpg

8330POV.jpg

Long story short I thought I would have been able to keep pace with the hobby "thanks" to the COVID-19 pandemic, yet I end up impressing, negatively, myself every time.

This is everything I've managed to paint in the last 2 years and I feel a bit ashamed. Now it's time to rise back from the ashes :wink:

Edited by suxdavide

• 8 months later...

I did a thing (finally)

I had to switch to traitor hence I decided to meet the legio vulpa.

The latest days have been quite prolific paiting-wise and I managed to finish a small maniple, I'll try to post better pictures once I'll finish the warlord :tongue.:

VybDygp.jpg

hikm3MH.jpg

Edited by suxdavide