Catching up on HH.

That Guy Matt

Hey, looking for a little advice from the big HH readers out there. So far I have read Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy In Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fulgrim, Deliverance Lost and I am most of the way through The First Heretic.

I already own Unremembered Empire, Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns and I'm really interested in Master of Mankind.

I want to read these but I'm sure I'm missing some story so my question is, what do I need to read to fill the gaps?

As far as I know, the only piece really required before Master of Mankind is A Thousand Sons, as it explains why The Big E is in the situation that he's in.

However, if you want some flavor for the factions involved, you could read:

For The Emperor- The Last Church

For the Custodes- Blood Games

For the Sisters of Silence- The Voice

All conveniently bound in the Tales of Heresy anthology.

For A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, you're good to go as-is, I'd say. The Unremembered Empire is the one that will give you headaches without the rest, since it continues many, many plotlines.

Know No Fear, Betrayer & Mark of Calth lead into the Ultramarines side of TUE, but it also continues on from the Dark Angels vs Night Lords plotline that's been in Age of Darkness via Savage Weapons, The Primarchs via The Lion, Prince of Crows from Shadows of Treachery, though Vulkan Lives also factors into the book. The Crimson Fist from Shadows of Treachery and The Iron Within from Age of Darkness also continue on here. And then there's the Aeonid Thiel plotline with Censure that could be read for it.

Fear to Tread, I think, isn't necessary since Sanguinius has about 3 pages in the book.

The Master of Mankind deals with stuff hinted at in Deliverance Lost, which you've read, but also The Outcast Dead, which features the Emperor directly and was, if I remember correctly, the first story to feature the Crusader Host. It also tackles the fallout from A Thousand Sons.

For A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, you're good to go as-is, I'd say. The Unremembered Empire is the one that will give you headaches without the rest, since it continues many, many plotlines.

Know No Fear, Betrayer & Mark of Calth lead into the Ultramarines side of TUE, but it also continues on from the Dark Angels vs Night Lords plotline that's been in Age of Darkness via Savage Weapons, The Primarchs via The Lion, Prince of Crows from Shadows of Treachery, though Vulkan Lives also factors into the book. The Crimson Fist from Shadows of Treachery and The Iron Within from Age of Darkness also continue on here. And then there's the Aeonid Thiel plotline with Censure that could be read for it.

Fear to Tread, I think, isn't necessary since Sanguinius has about 3 pages in the book.

The Master of Mankind deals with stuff hinted at in Deliverance Lost, which you've read, but also The Outcast Dead, which features the Emperor directly and was, if I remember correctly, the first story to feature the Crusader Host. It also tackles the fallout from A Thousand Sons.

This is great. Thank you. So is Battle for the Abyss not necessary for TUE?

I wouldn't say Battle for the Abyss is required reading for anything. The Abyss is referenced in Betrayer shortly and it is hinted at in the later Ultramarines books, but the plot is more or less self-contained. The book hit before BL really decided to create full story arcs for the series going forward.

I wouldn't call it as bad as most others here, but as far as imporance to the series is concerned, you can skip it.

Back in June while referencing my itunes library i got carried away on a Where to go next post and listed a pretty comprehensive list of the more mainstream story arcs from across the heresy... this by no means covered everything but certainly gives a nice road map of what to read through in what order, hopefully it's of some help smile.png

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/323557-where-to-go-next/?p=4432113

Archived