Really.... more Salamanders....

The Red Thirst

so awesome just = winning every fight? bit of a yawn really.

i think we could do with more primarch beat downs and humblings esp for guys like angron. apparently he got slapped around a bit in his gladiator days and was in danger of dying during his rebellion. let's see that

Night of the Wolf wasn't a humbling? In fact, Night of the Wolf wasn't THE humbling?

No, I don't care that Angron beat Russ in a fight, this is one of the rare things where ill say a character(Specifically Lorgar) is completely right. No other Legion but his would of allowed their Primarch to be put in that position.

We talking about the same World Eaters, aren't we?

Was there much detail given re Old Earth? I have a real attachment to Vulkan, and do enjoy Kyme's Salamanders. I am really hoping that Vulkan has his moment of glory to shine before The Master of Mankind and butcher some traitor / demon filth along the way!

There are only two major Iron Hands story lines that jump to my mind, Meduson and the crew of the Sisypheum which is more a mix than just Iron Hands. Kyme's Novella length story Feat of Iron was a great tale focusing on Ferrus and many of his captains, including the now infamous Meduson. Quite looking forward to this!

Was there much detail given re Old Earth? I have a real attachment to Vulkan, and do enjoy Kyme's Salamanders. I am really hoping that Vulkan has his moment of glory to shine before The Master of Mankind and butcher some traitor / demon filth along the way!

Not much detail other than what Caladan posted, but it seems that this is the big one for the Salamanders, and Vulkan in particular.

He also said it was the last Vulkan book in HH.

Well, I just finished Sons of the Forge myself (had to make way for Master of Mankind biggrin.png ), and it was okay. Not great, but I'd say an improvement on Vulkan Lives and Deathfire.

On the negative side, Nick Kyme's prose still lacks something. It's just not that engaging. The story also feels like it could be a bit more focused. While the artefacts are always present and a part of the story, they feel like they fall into the background for a lot of it. Maybe on this point it was just a case of different expectations going into it.

But more positively, the characters here are definitely better than in Vulkan Lives or Deathfire. I felt Deathfire was a step up in that regard, and this one more so. These ones do actually feel like distinct characters, not the most complex or best developed, but still, I actually remember these ones, which is more than I can say for Vulkan Lives.

Unfortunately, it feels like he doesn't really do enough -with- these characters and their traits, they never really get opportunities to shine or develop, instead just going through the motions to move the story along. The middle section of the book in particular descends into the "outnumbered Salamanders fighting desperately" thing we've seen plenty of times already.

Overall I wasn't especially moved either way by Sons of the Forge: I didn't feel disappointed or annoyed by it, but nor did I ever really feel thrilled or particularly invested. I don't think it'll win anyone over, if you don't like Nick Kyme's Salamanders this won't change that, but I do also feel it's a step up in quality from the last two main offerings. Here's hoping Old Earth can continue that trend.

Well, I just finished Sons of the Forge myself (had to make way for Master of Mankind biggrin.png ), and it was okay. Not great, but I'd say an improvement on Vulkan Lives and Deathfire.

On the negative side, Nick Kyme's prose still lacks something. It's just not that engaging. The story also feels like it could be a bit more focused. While the artefacts are always present and a part of the story, they feel like they fall into the background for a lot of it. Maybe on this point it was just a case of different expectations going into it.

But more positively, the characters here are definitely better than in Vulkan Lives or Deathfire. I felt Deathfire was a step up in that regard, and this one more so. These ones do actually feel like distinct characters, not the most complex or best developed, but still, I actually remember these ones, which is more than I can say for Vulkan Lives.

Unfortunately, it feels like he doesn't really do enough -with- these characters and their traits, they never really get opportunities to shine or develop, instead just going through the motions to move the story along. The middle section of the book in particular descends into the "outnumbered Salamanders fighting desperately" thing we've seen plenty of times already.

Overall I wasn't especially moved either way by Sons of the Forge: I didn't feel disappointed or annoyed by it, but nor did I ever really feel thrilled or particularly invested. I don't think it'll win anyone over, if you don't like Nick Kyme's Salamanders this won't change that, but I do also feel it's a step up in quality from the last two main offerings. Here's hoping Old Earth can continue that trend.

Kyme simply does not evolve as an author. His writing style absolutely hasn't changed since his FIRST novel. It is lacking depth and totally uninspiring. After several books You do hope as a reader that he will improve. And what do you get? Vulkan lives. Ok, one more chance - Deathfire. Ok - the last chance, he will do it right this time. Erggggg.... nope - still the same crap.

That seems to contradict Tymell's feelings on the matter. He said every further novel has been an improvement over the last, and I'd say that Deathfire was better than Vulkan Lives as well. If Sons of the Forge continues that trend, even if it does not play a big role as far as the wider Heresy is concerned, it looks like clearly, Kyme has been improving. Nevermind his short works for the Horus Heresy tend to be pretty good.

That seems to contradict Tymell's feelings on the matter. He said every further novel has been an improvement over the last, and I'd say that Deathfire was better than Vulkan Lives as well. If Sons of the Forge continues that trend, even if it does not play a big role as far as the wider Heresy is concerned, it looks like clearly, Kyme has been improving. Nevermind his short works for the Horus Heresy tend to be pretty good.

You can't call deathf.... an improvement. Hundreds page of emo kids suffering - argggg furious.gif

Archived