Quick question about Zardu Layak, re. Psychic Disciplines

WBGMatt

Hi folks,

After my last game (which was the first for my Word Bearers), it was pointed out that I may have used Zardu Layak incorrectly.

Can someone confirm which Psychic disciplines he has access to?

I believe his rules state he can pick from Pyromancy or Malefic Daemonolgy (I don't have the book to hand, so forgive me if I've not got the wording right).

Does that mean he only has access to those two disciplines?

Or (which is the way I played it), does that mean he can select his powers from those two disciplines but may roll for random powers from the others?

It's entirely probable that I've misinterpreted the rule here, but some clarification/outside opinions would be lovely!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Hi,

It's the first option I'm afraid:

He can ONLY take powers from Pyromancy and Malefic Daemonology (however he does not have to roll for these, he can pick the ones he wants).

I would assume this also means however, that if he picked all his powers from Malefic, he would still gain the primaris through psychic focus.

I would definitely run him with Malefic Daemonology though as he is a Daemon so won't peril as often.

There are some good powers in there, so not having to roll will guarantee you get the good ones!

Thanks Apostle, I had a feeling that may be the case!

That's a shame but, as you say, there are certainly some nice little treats in there.

Now need to get some daemons painted up to really bring some joy to the rest of my gaming group!

Ta muchly,

Matt

• 2 months later...

What do you consider his optimal psychic setup?

Cursed Earth and Sacrifice, along with Summoning due to Psychic Focus and Force from his staff.  That way you can get your 4++ Gal Vorbak, and have the option of summoning Demonic Heralds for 1WC if you want by sacrificing an Inducted Levy Auxiliary or something - turning a 2pt model into a 75pt Herald is fun and hilariously enough, if you're using Tainted Flesh provenance, that Cultist has a 6+ FNP to resist dying as the Herald is summoned lol.  You've also got the option to use Summoning as needed (and if you have the Warp Charge available...)

If you don't want to do any summoning, then I'd probably go with Cursed Earth and Sunburst (9" S4 AP5 Nova that does 2d6 hits) or maybe Molten Beam for a 12" Melta Beam.

Archived