Sons of the Forge

Izlude

Recently purchased the ebook but haven't read it yet. I really enjoyed Artefact and like how this ties the 40k stuff with the quest for Vulkan's goodies. Wanted to get the hardbook which looks nice but 60 is so expensive! Even 30 for the ebook made me think twice as it is the same as MoM hardcover! I am looking forward to reading this soon. The coverart is pretty cool though.

Sadly I am having to skip this for now as i mainly only buy the audio's... just hoping they get Saul Reichlin to do the voice work. For me he is synonymous with Kyme's writing style. Could you keep us posted with plot details (non spoiler if possible) as you progress through it? Oh and yeah, the cover art for this is awesome! Deathfire was (is) pretty intense too! Neil Roberts for the win! happy.png

Ha ha love the "hope is the road to disappointment." I use that on my wife all the time.

Man I was getting all psyched for it. Reading Artefact again before I start Sons of the Forge. I actually enjoyed Artefacts so here is "hoping."

I haven't bought it yet. I don't want spoilers but just want to know if it's worth getting now or in 6-9 months when paperback? thx

Also, and I'm so sorry to do this but I'm no forum expert: MODS or someone, I can't LIKE posts anymore. Tried logging out and in, but nope. Did I do something? ph34r.png

Only question...how many times do they say "vulkan lives!"? If it is less than 10 I will already be impressed

I count 12. Although only a couple of times as a battlecry of any kind, most often as a phrase of comfort or solidarity.

I haven't bought it yet. I don't want spoilers but just want to know if it's worth getting now or in 6-9 months when paperback? thx

Also, and I'm so sorry to do this but I'm no forum expert: MODS or someone, I can't LIKE posts anymore. Tried logging out and in, but nope. Did I do something? ph34r.png

I got done reading it this morning and have copied my feelings on it from the other Salamanders thread in here. In short answer, whether it's worth getting then will probably depend on your feelings on Kyme's other Salamanders works. If you hated them, I don't think this will sway you, but I do think it's a bit better in quality than those other works have been.

It was okay. Not great, but I'd say an improvement on Vulkan Lives and Deathfire.

On the negative side, Nick Kyme's prose still lacks something. It's just not that engaging. The story also feels like it could be a bit more focused. While the artefacts are always present and a part of the story, they feel like they fall into the background for a lot of it. Maybe on this point it was just a case of different expectations going into it.

But more positively, the characters here are definitely better than in Vulkan Lives or Deathfire. I felt Deathfire was a step up in that regard, and this one more so. These ones do actually feel like distinct characters, not the most complex or best developed, but still, I actually remember these ones, which is more than I can say for Vulkan Lives.

Unfortunately, it feels like he doesn't really do enough -with- these characters and their traits, they never really get opportunities to shine or develop, instead just going through the motions to move the story along. The middle section of the book in particular descends into the "outnumbered Salamanders fighting desperately" thing we've seen plenty of times already.

Overall I wasn't especially moved either way by Sons of the Forge: I didn't feel disappointed or annoyed by it, but nor did I ever really feel thrilled or particularly invested. I don't think it'll win anyone over, if you don't like Nick Kyme's Salamanders this won't change that, but I do also feel it's a step up in quality from the last two main offerings. Here's hoping Old Earth can continue that trend.

'Overall I wasn't especially moved either way by Sons of the Forge: I didn't feel disappointed or annoyed by it, but nor did I ever really feel thrilled or particularly invested. I don't think it'll win anyone over, if you don't like Nick Kyme's Salamanders this won't change that, but I do also feel it's a step up in quality from the last two main offerings. Here's hoping Old Earth can continue that trend.' -Tymell the problem of this novella which tries to be a novel is that it is pointless. It's dirty dozen mixed with siege, mixed with prison run, mixed with Indiana Jones adventure.

AS with 'Deathfire' where Kyme simply stole a scene from Avatar movie for the ending of a novel - here he totally used plagiat from a lot of books and movies.

To make it work - you should be a great author. Kyme is not.

Man 5 chapters in and already sort of bored. In the first couple of chapters when T'kell is mobilizing the salamanders I appreciate how he tries to make them different (the depressed chaplain, the blade master etc) but they still seem so...blah...

I started re-reading Pharos as I wait for MoM and I don't know if i can get via this one in one go. Like Deathfire I have to break it up in chunks...

Man 5 chapters in and already sort of bored. In the first couple of chapters when T'kell is mobilizing the salamanders I appreciate how he tries to make them different (the depressed chaplain, the blade master etc) but they still seem so...blah...

I started re-reading Pharos as I wait for MoM and I don't know if i can get via this one in one go. Like Deathfire I have to break it up in chunks...

Why do that to yourself at all, lol. It does not give anything to HH at all

I liked it.

My only gripe is it suffers from the same problem all of the Salamanders novels do, to many characters introduced in the first chapter with similar sounding names who also have similar sounding nicknames etc.

You get to the final chapter and you still have to flick to the front to work out who is who

I liked it.

My only gripe is it suffers from the same problem all of the Salamanders novels do, to many characters introduced in the first chapter with similar sounding names who also have similar sounding nicknames etc.

You get to the final chapter and you still have to flick to the front to work out who is who

Add to that horrible prose - and that is enough to ruin everything

Recently finished this and I must say I really enjoyed it. I simply could not put it down.

I am a fan of Nicks salamanders and his previous shattered legions work. I loved the shifts in story it did not go at all as I predicted which was surprising.

Particularly liked his Iron hands the Immortals and his portrayal of the sons of Horus. I would of liked to of seen more Regulus and the dark mechanicum I feel they are untapped villains.

Since I don't plan on ever reading this, at least not voluntarily. Would someone mind sharing a synopsis of the books events.

I have this nagging fear this is going to lead into "Old Earth"so I won't be able to afford to miss it.

I'm pretty sure it won't have much to do with Old Earth, since there aren't really any plot threads left hanging or anything.

As seen in Artefacts, before leaving for Isstvan V Vulkan tasks Forgefather T'kell with destroying all the weapons and other wonders he's created, to stop them falling into the wrong hands. After T'kell pleads to be allowed to spare some, Vulkan agrees that he can choose seven of the artefacts to keep intact, but also that he must take them to one of Vulkan's secret vaults, one called The Wrought, and lock them away there. T'kell gathers other Salamanders from the garrison on Prometheus and sets off in one of the artefacts, the forge-ship Chalice of Fire.

They reach the world in question (I don't recall it being named, just being in the Boron XIII system) but find a garrison of Sons of Horus there already, led by Dark Mech Adept Regulus, trying to gain access to the vault. They do battle, including T'kell being infected by Regulus via a kind of AI/Scrapcode, and shooting off part of his head to try to stop it, but before they can be overwhelmed they're aided by the arrival of a Shattered Legions force commanded by Iron Father Ulok, and including characters seen in the "Immortal Duty" short from "Meduson". Ulok has been trying to capture Regulus to try to find a weakness in Horus, something he can use to go after the Warmaster himself, and commands an army mostly of Revenants, Iron Hands resurrected with forbidden technology to be a powerful army of robotic warriors. The Wrought is now open and the Salamanders need to get somewhere else to store the artefacts. Ulok takes supplies from Vulkan's vault, and agrees to help the Salamanders complete their mission if they will help him capture Regulus.

Together they defeat the remaining Sons of Horus and capture Regulus, but Ulok kills him and reveals that he has learned about the artefacts from Regulus' data, and now abandons his previous plan in favour of taking the artefacts and using them against Horus. The Salamanders with him escape back to their own ship. T'kell, now recovered aboard Ulok's ship, works with others among Ulok's force who no longer want any part in the Iron Father's obsessive quest and forbidden methods, and together they sabotage the army of Revenants. The Chalice of Fire destroys Ulok's ship with T'kell on board, removing the threat but leaving their force badly depleted and still needing to hide away the artefacts.

The last chapter moves ahead, showing the Chalice of Fire now drifting through space, with the remaining Salamanders in stasis and only awakening when there is a threat on board to repel. It cuts forward again, now into more or less the present day of 40K, showing modern-day Salamanders discovering the ship and it's original guardians, now long dead, and remarking that they have found the Chalice of Fire and the Eye of Vulkan, and have "but seven more to find", referring to the lore of the artefacts Vulkan left behind.

Cheers Tymell, sounds like a fairly self contained story then.

More and more characters seem to be dying in the books which is also great too see. I've always felt the fatality rate in the series has been far to low so far.

The plot, like that of Vulkan Lives, Scorched Earth, Deathfire, actually sounds like it has the potential to be interesting, but I just can't engage with Nick's prose.

Since I don't plan on ever reading this, at least not voluntarily. Would someone mind sharing a synopsis of the books events.

I have this nagging fear this is going to lead into "Old Earth"so I won't be able to afford to miss it.

It is absolutely has nothing to do with Old Earth. It's only have roots for W40K Salamanders.

Everyone should decide for himself, tis true - to read or not to read it. Was really shocked by Pariah32 tastes ('I simply could not put it down...')

But then I saw - 'I am a fan of Nicks salamanders and his previous shattered legions work' and it's all became obvious. World is not such an insane place. It is simply broken and mad biggrin.png

Yeah bummed I spent 30 bucks on the ebook...the same as Mom!?! I almost was going to shell out 60 for the LE...glad I didn't. I sort of wish MoM got some cool LE treatment, I would have totally bought that one.

Archived