Master of Mankind - Review or Spoilers?

Scribe

Legion of the damned nod? All souls of imperial heroes linked to the emperor?

Intimidation? Even in death they still serve?

I think this book clarified his position with the primarchs, calls angron 12, what looks like he was going to strap magnus to that throne permanently, along with the thousand psykers in boxes (thousand sons?), says he gave them ullanor because reasons.

They aren't his sons, they're his tools because mankind is who he's doing it for. Much like the thunder warriors were his tools.

That just makes it another 40k thing tied to the Heresy. Which depending on your personal tastes is a good or bad. My reservation come from people suddenly writing Legion of the Damned Ferrus into the lore, and he's already got enough problems with being a Daemon of Slaanesh now.

His head is Horus cup holder.

Technically, the skull he was initially grown in in the material realm is. wink.png

That's not a great word for what's happening, though. Very easy to leap to conclusions with a word like that.

Would psychic/warp reflection of events/emotions bring a better/closer description of that event ?

I haven't read many Grey Knights lore extracts but is it possible that the Grey Knight template is derived from a Custodian template ? Theirs being a psyker version of it.

Considering how daemons can get no purchase in any form whatsoever over the Custodians; even one such as the echo in the book whose birth was sung by all four choirs of the immaterium, I kind of got the feeling that the Grey Knights were Malcador's variant of the Emperor's Custodes.

Right having read the majority of HH books, this is definitely up there. A-D-B has always been one of my favourite authors, not just BL novels, but just as a good writer that knows his audience.

Its kind of a odd book for a BL novel, in once you have read it you have that kind of feeling of just.. well that sucks, not in the way it was written but in the fact that everything is censored.gif.

it reminded me of how I felt after watching the last episode of season 1 of The Missing, when you see the Dad being led away in that Russian police car...

well done A-D-B, well done

I finished it today.  A good read overall.  I was interested in how the emperor refers to his Primarchs.  I've never thought he was a "nice" guy or particularly empathic, so the contsant referring to them by numbers etc was fine.

Maybe I've missed this being discussed as I read the thread on my ipod and missed a page or two, but was it meant to imply that th Emperor was going to use the Custodes to power the Golden Throne at some point?  

Kaeria had just watched a thousand people be locked into the device and then there's this line

"She refused to dwell on the fact that for each active coffin locked inside its cradle, another nine sockets remained empty"  A thousand were filled, for each one of that thousand there was another nine empty, that makes 10 thousand slots in total, which coincidentally is ewxactly what the Custodes were referred to as repeatedly...

I finished it today. A good read overall. I was interested in how the emperor refers to his Primarchs. I've never thought he was a "nice" guy or particularly empathic, so the contsant referring to them by numbers etc was fine.

Maybe I've missed this being discussed as I read the thread on my ipod and missed a page or two, but was it meant to imply that th Emperor was going to use the Custodes to power the Golden Throne at some point?

Kaeria had just watched a thousand people be locked into the device and then there's this line

"She refused to dwell on the fact that for each active coffin locked inside its cradle, another nine sockets remained empty" A thousand were filled, for each one of that thousand there was another nine empty, that makes 10 thousand slots in total, which coincidentally is ewxactly what the Custodes were referred to as repeatedly...

But does "he" refer to them as numbers etc?

Remember early on in the book, where it is implied when the emperor talks to anyone they hear how they prefer to hear things, so to a ad mech guy the primarchs are numbers, to a space marine however they are sons, to a custodian they are tools to help conquer.. Most of the emperors words in this are from a perspective of someone else

I finished it today. A good read overall. I was interested in how the emperor refers to his Primarchs. I've never thought he was a "nice" guy or particularly empathic, so the contsant referring to them by numbers etc was fine.

"She refused to dwell on the fact that for each active coffin locked inside its cradle, another nine sockets remained empty" A thousand were filled, for each one of that thousand there was another nine empty, that makes 10 thousand slots in total, which coincidentally is ewxactly what the Custodes were referred to as repeatedly...

But does "he" refer to them as numbers etc?

Remember early on in the book, where it is implied when the emperor talks to anyone they hear how they prefer to hear things, so to a ad mech guy the primarchs are numbers, to a space marine however they are sons, to a custodian they are tools to help conquer.. Most of the emperors words in this are from a perspective of someone else

Meh, multiple people hear him refer to the Primarchs by number only in different situations, and he goes out of his way at one point to state they are not his sons, just tools, so Im inclined to say, yes He does refer to them as such.

He does call the custodes the ten thousand, however if there were exactly that many at creation, we haven't seen any really new custodes made or it mentioned, they could have been made for the purpose of the machine, but why would you use that many really effective, high resource cost, custom built bodyguards?

That's a lot. Too many in fact. A thousand I can live with but to need 10k every day would be a logistical nightmare.

But one of the major pitfalls of the Imperium in the 41st millennium is its inability to deal with its logistical nightmare because of its vast size.

It was a 1000 die a day. 10,000 are strapped to the Astronomican. 

Yeppers. 1,000 of the Golden Throne's batteries wear out every day. Grim stuff. 

I'm just wondering...the astronomican existed prior to the events of this book, and before MoM it wasn't aided by feeding psykers into it. How did it stay ticking back then?

I'm just wondering...the astronomican existed prior to the events of this book, and before MoM it wasn't aided by feeding psykers into it. How did it stay ticking back then?

That's a difficult question to answer because it's not really related to the book or previous Heresy lore. The Golden Throne's function in the Heresy - and, indeed, in TMoM - isn't primarily to power the Astronomican, and that's not really why they start to plug psykers into it. Collected Visions and TMoM show what else it's for, obviously - and why at various junctures it needs alternate fuel sources (psykers in one instance, Malcador in another).

If you look at the timeline, it all adds up. We were careful about that.

It was a 1000 die a day. 10,000 are strapped to the Astronomican.

I was under the impression that the Astronomicon was still guided by The Emperor whilst He was out on the Crusade.

I have just thought, do you think the big E has a man drawer full of half charged, dead and fully charged souls... with no idea which is which (it also contains various mobile chargers, some matches, some string, sellotape and 3 flathead screwdrivers but no philips ones)

Archived