EC 3rd CE Beauty of Boom

okonomiyakimarine

Looking at starting a 3rd Company Elite force for the 1500-2000 pts range.

After a lot of back and forth (Destroyers? Tanks?), some thinking about the pros and cons of specific unit compositions and much help from the discussions in the EC tactica thread, I composed a list that I could imagine to collect, build and paint towards. After tinkering with the possibilities within 1500, 1750 and 2000 pts I got the feeling that the following direction allows at least some optional compositions in the given point range.

Without further ado, here is the idea:

Eidolon with 15 Assault Marines as the big blob to hack through anything that still stands after the shooting of 3 Graviton Rapier Batteries  (AT/demobilizing/creating difficult terrain) and 2 full Kakophoni squads (MEQ) with later 2 Javelins shooting at more vehicles. Deredeo as supporting from the back. 3 Apothecaries in the three units to make sure everyone stays healthy and properly drugged.

I decided against any transports to have all units shooting from the get go. The idea with the Graviton Rapier Batteries is maximize on my shooting range, melee mobility/initiative, while taking away the mobility from the opponent and slow opposing forces movement. Obviously this list prefers to start the game to create the tactical advantage with the Gravitons.

For 1500 it would be Eidolon with 10 Assault Marines, 2 full Kakophoni, 2 Javelins, 2 Grav Rapier, 2 walking Apothecaries.

For 1750 it would be like 2000 but no Deredeo and no Augury Scanner for the Kakophonie Apothecaries

Looking forward to your feedback on the general direction and opinions on the units and load outs chosen.

Cheers.

BattleScribe-created list here:

+++ EC - Martellus Europa 2000 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v42) (2000pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v202) (2000pts) ++

+ HQ (205pts) +

········Lord Commander Eidolon (205pts) [Jump Pack]

+ Elites (410pts) +

········Apothecarion Detachment (185pts)
············Legion Apothecary
················Additional Wargear [Augury Scanner, Chainsword/Combat Blade, Jump Pack]
················Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Chainsword/Combat Blade]
················Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

········Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (225pts)
············Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]

+ Troops (995pts) +

········Legion Assault Squad (445pts) [14x Legion Assault Space Marines, Sonic Shriekers]
············Additional Wargear [Combat Shields, Melta Bombs]
················Power Weapon [Power Sword]
············Legion Assault Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Phoenix Spear]

········The Kakophani of the Emperor's Children (275pts) [9x Chora]
············Orchestrator [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]

········The Kakophani of the Emperor's Children (275pts) [9x Chora]
············Orchestrator [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]

+ Fast Attack (150pts) +

········Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron (150pts)
············Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles, Multi-melta]
············Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles, Multi-melta]

+ Heavy Support (240pts) +

········Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (240pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Armoured Ceramite]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [   III: Emperor's Children, Traitor]

········Rite of War [3rd Company Elite]

+ Force Organization +

········Force Organization
············Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

Created with BattleScribe

Edit: low pts game variants

One way of going through army list checking is to test it's redundancy. Good way to do that is to imagine losing one component and how it affects the rumbling of war engine.

How would the list perform if there wouldn't be any Grav Rapiers for example?

Solid list. I'd remove the AC from the Deredeo as it won't need it (Meltaguns still hurt from side/rear, and if they're deep striking behind you then you're dead with AC or not). If your group uses the FAQ, don't bother spending all those points on Meltabombs. These are points that you'll get more out of elsewhere.

thanks for your comments so far!

One way of going through army list checking is to test it's redundancy. Good way to do that is to imagine losing one component and how it affects the rumbling of war engine.

How would the list perform if there wouldn't be any Grav Rapiers for example?

i am afraid you need to elaborate on this. i'd say one could find arguments for redundancy as well as against redundancy. If there is a unit that does the same as another it is common sense to rather have a different unit in the list. If there is a unit that looses you the game if it is taken out without doing anything than you better have redundancy with another or more of the same. Do you want to hint to a unit being not needed in this list, like the Rapiers? The only AT would potentially outflank turn two and i need to de-mech everything earlier than that to maximize on Kakophoni range. Also dangerous terrain is fun.

Also: The list would obviously perform poorly if any unit would be taken out, because this is perfect EC tactics :P

Solid list. I'd remove the AC from the Deredeo as it won't need it (Meltaguns still hurt from side/rear, and if they're deep striking behind you then you're dead with AC or not). If your group uses the FAQ, don't bother spending all those points on Meltabombs. These are points that you'll get more out of elsewhere.

i see your point on the meltabombs and especially the argument against AC, but what would you suggest to include instead?

thanks

So you found out yourself what I was trying to hint - Your list is a perfectly tuned musical instrument which would go awry if you would try to look for redundancy from it.

You have a list which needs all the parts to function and thus you must know how to use it in different situations and what is the most important you know that for yourself and don't try to convince otherwise which is an exemplary action of a general.

If you wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion yourself I would have tried to point out it then but there is no need for that now.

• 2 weeks later...

In case somebody ever looks for this list and wonders where this is going:

Thanks again for your suggestion and the hint on the MBs according to the FAQ. Took the points from AC and squad-wide MBs and added a third Javelin with Las (but without HKMs) as well as MBs and PP for the Assault Sergeant instead.

So you found out yourself what I was trying to hint - Your list is a perfectly tuned musical instrument which would go awry if you would try to look for redundancy from it.

You have a list which needs all the parts to function and thus you must know how to use it in different situations and what is the most important you know that for yourself and don't try to convince otherwise which is an exemplary action of a general.

If you wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion yourself I would have tried to point out it then but there is no need for that now.

A perfect comment for how i try to reflect what the III is striving for.

Next: Some holiday shopping. 

Archived