Flesh Tearers WIP Army

wiqid

I always whiff on picking up an airbrush. I look at all the tools, read recommendations, watch 'how-to' videos, and then back out. If I knew someone who knew how to use one properly to teach and show me in person I'd be all over it. There is a lot of cool things I see when people airbrush their armies that I really like that I know I can't do with a brush.

And when it would come to vehicles I bet its a godsend!

Is this chameleon sounds more and more interesting as you describe it. I wonder what your army's background will be and their aesthetics that they use it on their armor. My knowledge is limited on the whole of the Tamiya Brand but the paints and clear paint washes have been super good.

I was on that same boat. Always having second thoughts till last year where I took the plunge. Ironically I had the airbrush sitting on the shelf for months before I mustered the courage to give it a go. Old habits n hold hobbyists are hard to break  :)

It makes life so much easier with basing and creating transitions. Just speeds up everything in general, especially tanks n what not. 

Of course there are still finicky things to get the hang of, like thinning paint, pressure, trigger control etc. But learning is part of the fun.

So basically, I would say take the chance. You can get china make ones to start of with that are decent before investing in one of the other branded ones. But even the cheap ones will make life so much easier with painting large batches. 

As for my custom chapter. They are going to be a lost chapter with some links to alpha legion or deathguard. Either being a successor chapter of these or descendants of a lost primarch. They are going to be called the "Sons of Kraken". Think of a chapter that has lived in the depths of the sea on some remote planetary system to stay off the radar . To fit their character and and background story, I'm thinking of giving them aesthetic by wielding tridents, whips and with re-breathers, and moss covered and rusty armour.

Have other ideas but no point getting carried away! I still have Salamanders to start lol. Even have a Primaris army and deathguard as well. Plastic crack is deadly.

One day I will take the plunge. I do love seeing how airbrush users pump out quality armies quick!

You customer chapter sounds awesome so I look forward to that greatly. I could easily see it being Alpha Legion with secret bases and all that. I wonder if the new sea elves from AoS will have some goodies for you to use.

• 3 months later...

Hey folks.

Just a quick update on the progress made as I edge closer to finally painting up my first army. Been lots of toiling through the late nights painting intermittently where I can get the time and motivation over the last 3 years. Will have to do a group shot of the Army when I finish. Just need to paint up a Stormraven, Baal Pred and maybe some space hulk terms if I can be bothered lol.

Well here are the latest additions. Wish my painting had more consistency. But I am guessing I aren't the only one that takes a while to get the rhythm of painting back after a break. Always takes a while to catch back up to the skill level I ended with.

If there are any CnC, let me know as always. Thanks for looking !

gallery_95220_12661_227694.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_97098.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_62734.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_58982.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_157658.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_12509.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_160985.jpg

Everything looks fantastic! Is the last fella a Flesh Tearer Sang Guard? I love the black and red wings with the golden armor I also love how you did the blue on black highlight in his shoulder pad too. Looking at him again I am digging the red armor trimmed with gold. That looks perfect.

@Hushrong

Thanks for the positive feedback. That guy is supposed to be a conversion of Dante. Don't like some of the existing old sculpts so built my own. I wasn't too sure initially about whether the colour scheme would go when trying to make them a bit more darker in tone to match my Flesh Tearer theme. Decided to go with blue toned highlights for some black to balance the warm colours. In hindsight maybe I should have opted for base green for power weapons to add more variation. My elementary attempt at trying to use more colour theory :)

@Pearson73

Thanks mate. Glad you think it looks alright. It took a lot of tweaking on the Sanguinary Priest, especially with it being white which is a pain to paint. Didn't help that was my first mini after a break. Happy in the end at how they turned out.

I still need to work on my power weapons. I need to practice simulating lightning better. Doesn't look as organic or as crisp as I'd hope.

This is a better shot of Dante

gallery_95220_12661_88720.jpg

I think he came out looking Ace! I also didn’t realize you used that recent plastic chaplain for the BA as the body until that recent shot you showed there. It makes the red ‘exposed muscle’ on the armor even more bad ass.

Oh Baals...I really want some Sang Guard now!

@hushrong 

Lol don't you have enough projects already! I saw you added an Iron Hands army to your WIP collection. Great looking conversions mate.

I'm just as bad to be honest. Have 3 armies queued up after this one, on top of other random minis from GW and quite a few AVP minis as well. Yet I am tempted to pickup rogue trader and black fortress. Some sweet looking sculpts......must resists

Here are the last characters for my Flesh Tearer army. That more or less wraps up the troops for the army, since I think I will forgo the Space Hulk terms for now. Now to finish the last two vehicles and contemplate whether I want to field them in battle for the first time. Provided I can figure out how to transport them, or what I need to invest in for my army logistics lel.

So here are the last of the mighty leaders of the Flesh Tearers!

The Sanguinor, Exemplar of the Host conversion

gallery_95220_12661_43889.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_204700.jpg

Chapter Master, Gabriel Seth

gallery_95220_12661_42332.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_122681.jpg

First Chapter Master, Nassir Amit

gallery_95220_12661_125065.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_138053.jpg

Chief Librarian, Mephiston - Lord of Death (Conversion)

gallery_95220_12661_17461.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_33605.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_78919.jpg

@Bjorn

Thanks mate. I was debating on having a go at NMM for Sang, but chickened out lel and used the excuse that it wouldn't fit with the rest of the gold in the army. Perhaps next time.

As for Amit, yea I kit bashed his chainfists. Looks a bit scrappy and I was thinking of linking ammo belts to what would have been the cartridge on his back. But it was hard to make it work without it looking overly clunky or messy.

Was basing the look of this look...

gallery_95220_12661_33714.jpg

@hushrong 

Lol don't you have enough projects already! I saw you added an Iron Hands army to your WIP collection. Great looking conversions mate.

I'm just as bad to be honest. Have 3 armies queued up after this one, on top of other random minis from GW and quite a few AVP minis as well. Yet I am tempted to pickup rogue trader and black fortress. Some sweet looking sculpts......must resists

Yeah...but I love those Sanguinary Guard. If only there was a kill team I could make of them...

And I know that I will pick up Blackstone Fortress. I know I have enough stuff already but I want all those minis and I want to beat the game to open up that secret packet.

The latest batch of minis is also great. Everything looks fantastic and I seriously love your blue on black like mephiston’s cape. I also love the use of the stormcast wings on Sanguinor. I really want some Sanguinary Guard led by that guy real bad now haha.

@hushrong

What secret pack is this that can be unlocked? You mean there is even more excuses to give myself to get more minis than I can possibly ever paint? Tell me more.

I think blue grey highlights work well in contrast to red. Since it helps balance things out. Also why I generally go for purple gemstones and blue eye lenses for my FT army. But that is more a matter of preference where I feel it fits better with my darker shades of red. 

I too love the Sanguinary sculpts. They are probably one of the cooler squads alongside the death company. Bags of character. Careful, you might end up with a new army again ;)

@Augustus

Thanks mate. Just filed down the scribe to give it a smooth surface and glued on right to the foot of the mini. Nothing fancy hehe.  Wish I managed the glowing rune effect better though. Always love that kind of effect painted well on Space Wolves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks.

Just a quick update. So close to finishing this Army on my target for the year end. Managed to finish up the Baal Pred and making good progress on the Stormraven. Will have to go back to both models later when I figure out if and how I want to weather them. Always concerned about messing up weathering and ruining an otherwise decent paintjob! I want to try grime streaks on the Stormraven. Always a bit hesitant and apprehensive when its my first go at trying new techniques.

Well I hope you can provide feedback n critique. Thanks for looking and have a good weekend :)

gallery_95220_12661_58972.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_6885.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_152436.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_100097.jpg

Thanks mate. Just needs the weathering touches to ruin all the crisp and clean colours and highlights. In the midst of experimenting with weathering on my Stormraven but am still apprehensive towards the whole ruining the paint job :unsure.: Working with oil paints and pigments is new to me, so I wonder whether I should have chosen a more expendable and less well painted guinea pig.

I also just realised that I glued the tail wing on backwards. Oh well.... Although I have still got a lot more of the model to weather, here are some of the shots of my novel attempts at weathering and heat effects. CnC n tips would be appreciated as always,

Thanks for looking :happy.:

gallery_95220_12661_125165.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_58706.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_213983.jpg

Hey, great to see you settling in so well with the airbrush! Lovely red! Deep and vibrant.

I lovw the way your characters look properly Fleash-Tearer-style-ANGRY!
Sanguinor conversion is fantastic,

Still I have to ask: no pauldrons? Green liquid inside the chalice?? 
I understand that green adds some nice colour, but still it feels strange. Like he carries some Necromunda mutagen :wink:

The Baal definitely needs some weathering. Not much though, there's already a lot going on on it in terms of colors, shades etc. A little mud dried mud the tracks, a chipped paint on the edges here and there.
I'd say that Stormraven needs even less. It's underside is gorgeous!

Hey folks. Thanks for all the great feedback and encouraging words!

I am glad that you guys think the Stormraven is coming along well. Good to know that my weathering attempts (least the ones pictured) are ok and not too heavy handed. I have to remind myself that less is more. That's one of the good things of weathering with oil colours. I can go back later and clean up any excess. I think I am done for now with the weathering n will post some pics when I finish up edge highlighting the red n black.

@Majkhel

I take your points on Sanguinor lol  :blush.:. I was kinda stuck with what colour to paint the liquid once I painted the chalice red in theme with the rest of the army. Not sure why I decided on green in the end but painting late at night didnt help! Ork blood, Mutagen, Mountain Dew, who knows?!?! Will have to repaint that when I get round to it :wink:

As for his pauldrons, I didnt really have a choice as after gluing the arms to retain the classic Sanguinor pose, I realised I couldnt put pauldrons on, They didn't sit too well at all and got in the way of the jump pack. If only my greenstuff sculpting skills were as decent as some of the people here 

@Midnight Runner

Thanks mate. I was checking out your Flesh eaters and the great tutorial on simulating glowing effects. Helpful tips and great looking army n conversions mate. Might have to go through em to steal some ideas! By the way, whats your formula for that skin tone in your avatar. Looks great and was thinking of that kind of tone for my next army.

Thanks again for looking and the support! 

Archived