Are the Legio Custodus based on the Swiss Guard?

I always wondered where the Custodian Guard are based on seeing as GW likes to base there armies on something from the past. After i heard this song i was wondering if lore wise they take alot from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhg2zvalXc

All the ingredients are in it:

-Small number

-Highly trained

-Protecting some holy person

-Fancy armour

-Halberds

Side by side comparison (for those who have no clue what iam reffering to)

a6f8dd575e8e60a8709261cc2be93d82.jpg

legio-custodes-artwork-1.jpg?w=450&h=310

What are others thoughts? Or am i the only one who though about this?

Edited by Spacefrisian

No.

Adeptus Custodes are based on the Praetorian Guard of the Roman Emperors but since they don't have the Praetorian Guard's tendency to back-stab their boss they are basically just a counterpart  to any royal body guard of which there have been thousands throughout history (many of which also tended to backstab their boss and seize control of the succession).

None of those things you listed are unique to the Swiss Guard and the defining trait of the Swiss Guard (eg, that they're Swiss mercenaries) has no comparison with the Adeptus Custodes who are in no way mercenaries.

Custodes are probably most like the Persian Ten Thousand 'Immortals' of King Xerxes since they had spears (not Halberds) and similar numbers but actually take most of their traits from the Old Guard of Napoleon (aka 'the grognards') who had rifles with bayonets (like everyone did back then but that's true of Swiss Guard Halberds), were all super tall and were allowed to criticise Napoleon but also fiercely loyal (unlike most royal bodyguards who are less than reliable).

Edited by Closet Skeleton

The original Custodes wore only trousers, boots, a cloak and an Eldar style helmet, and carried literally a laspistol with a 5' stick in place of a stock:

If they had any real-world inspiration originally it would have been 80s scifi and fantasy and/or poor ventilation in the artists studio. 

Their modern look is nothing more than logical evolution of said concept:
1. Leather trousers and bare chests is stupid in a universe of power armour, give them power armour. Obviously with lots of bling because this is 40k and they're badasses. 
2. The gun-staff is a bit moronic, why don't we give them the old Nemesis Force Halbard which they Grey Knights don't use any more. 
3. Lets give them some more weapon options because just one is boring.
4. Lets give them a bit of a classical look (cingulum) because that's what we do with 40k now. 

Well there is also that song i put up, where 189 Swiss guard stood against a great mixed force that wasnt happy with the pope. They hold the line while 42 other of there ranks and the Pope made there escape.

The only similarity I see there is that they both did their job of defending their ward instead of running away.. which applies to countless competent guard formations in the history of the world. The Emperor had the Blood Angels and Imperial Fists to hold what was left of the Palace, the Custodes went with him to kill Horus - not exactly an 'escape'. 

I love the song, (Sabaton is my favorite band)

But I must agree with the others. I will go a step further and say I don't think that custodes are based on any real world force.

I am not trying to throw out your idea though, there are other factions that are heavily influenced by real world armies, the Catachans for example are US troops in Vietnam... but not the REAL Vietnam, the 80's action movie variant.

It does look like there is a visual influence there!  It's really interesting to dig into the real-world historical influences on the design of 40k.  I've been reading up on Russian history recently (a fairly large blind spot for myself in the past) and I never realized how much Russia under the Tzars was a fairly strong influence on the shape of the Imperium.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least no one can deny that the Dark Angel Ravenwing are based on the WInged Hussars from Poland, unless someone else knows of a cavalry unit with wings on them (yeah that Sabaton album also has a song on those)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkrQQly6xU

But i bet most already knew that.

Edited by Spacefrisian