Coils and Rapiers

civsmitty

Question: does the limitation of Coils of the Hydra for infantry having to be in dedicated transport count for Rapier batteries? I mean, I know that the crew is infantry but my brain keeps giving the niggling "but....it's artillery" doubt.

Someone confirm my suspicions are correct, if you could?

That link is not helpful at all, since a completely different question is being asked.

Rapiers are not an infantry squad, and only infantry squads must be transported/deep struck/infiltrated.

Granted, "squad" is not really a game-defined term, so it could be that they meant to say units, which would also mean any Independent Characters would have to meet requirements, but as it stands characters are exempt. Rapiers would be excempt in either case, because again the unit is artillery type.

That link is not helpful at all, since a completely different question is being asked.

Rapiers are not an infantry squad, and only infantry squads must be transported/deep struck/infiltrated.

Granted, "squad" is not really a game-defined term, so it could be that they meant to say units, which would also mean any Independent Characters would have to meet requirements, but as it stands characters are exempt. Rapiers would be excempt in either case, because again the unit is artillery type.

Heres the thing:

A Rapier Battery team is an Artillery unit made up of:

• The Gun
  • Cremen

The Crewmen are Infantry with the Legiones Astartes Rule and thus benefit from any bonuses conferred by said rule such as Mutable Tactics: Infiltrate from the Alpha Legion.

The Infiltrate rule states that only a single model in the squad needs the rule for the  whole squad to benefit. Crewmen can infiltrate and are in a squad with the gun = Infiltrating Rapiers.

Deepstrike Requires ALL models in the squad to have the rule to do so so no go. But, then you run Orbital Assault and you can shove them into pods anyways.

Hence why I linked you to that previous topic since it answers part of your question.

But otherwise, unless you're playing OA, Artillery cannot be shoved into a transport and as per above, you answered your own question.

... because again the unit is artillery type.

Answered your own question there. Unit type is Artillery.

You mean I answered the OP's question, accurately. biggrin.png

Heres the thing:

A Rapier Battery team is an Artillery unit made up of:

• The Gun
  • Cremen

The Crewmen are Infantry with the Legiones Astartes Rule and thus benefit from any bonuses conferred by said rule such as Mutable Tactics: Infiltrate from the Alpha Legion.

The Infiltrate rule states that only a single model in the squad needs the rule for the whole squad to benefit. Crewmen can infiltrate and are in a squad with the gun = Infiltrating Rapiers.

Deepstrike Requires ALL models in the squad to have the rule to do so so no go. But, then you run Orbital Assault and you can shove them into pods anyways.

Hence why I linked you to that previous topic since it answers part of your question.

But otherwise, unless you're playing OA, Artillery cannot be shoved into a transport and as per above, you answered your own question.

Again a lot of unnecessary words, the question was whether rapier teams count as "an infantry squad", and they do not. You seem to be conflating the question with whether they would still be able to infiltrate, which of course they will, but that was never the question. And again, I was answering the OP's question, not my own. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived