Raven Guard - shadows of the hive

brother tycho

Fellow hobbyists. A space marine is nothing without his bolter, as a project is nothing without a theme. This hobby log’s theme is urban, cityfight, cities of death, and the Raven Guard space marines that would cash in their leave entitlements in preference of another day at work in the hive. So all those a bit inspired by those themes I wish to canvass your thoughts and perhaps return some small sustenance in the form of my hobby offerings.

I’ve been interested in urban terrain since picking up a copy of Cityfight supplement back in 2001, so armed several polystyrene buildings were commissioned, and used in score of battles. Recently however I had the urge to revisit them.. well I say revisit.. more enhance, well I say enhance.. demolish.. ahh more.. drive a cognitive front-end loader through the place evicting the commission residents on the fly. This brings us to the terrain element of this project’s log, at this stage still bare mdf but suitably claustrophobic

med_gallery_80881_12687_170277.jpg

SHOW ME THE MARINES DAMMIT – right. The companion force - a fledgling Raven Guard army. At this stage half an assault squad which I humbly submit forthwith. This unit was my first crack at painting black, and aimed along the lines of the clean games workshop style with some subtle weathering. Bolter barrels tweaked with plastic rod to suggest a suppressor and a small bit of extra height added with a few mm of greenstuff at the waist (just to scale them up a bit).

gallery_80881_12687_46975.jpg

gallery_80881_12687_196798.jpg

If I were responsible, I should probably round off the squad next. So on that, what would you change on the next batch of marines? How would people tweak things to convey stealth? MK6 helmets? Is a lightning claw really the ultimate CC weapon of stealth, or the humble combat blade..

Cheers

I've been looking for some normal looking blades, mostly power swords from various units to use as close-combat weapons. The use of silenced bolt pistols is great until they activate the rip-roaring chainsword. tongue.png

Lightning claws are also a good call.

Great start to what looks like it could be something special. Very intelligent use of the Scout bits on the assault marines (although putting a silencer on a guy with a rocket strapped to his back is a little counterintuitive, but that's not your fault teehee.gif ). I love the OSL, too. Really keen to see how you develop this!

Archived