Astra Militarum List Question

Lorde_Malus

I need C&C on an all comers list for my local shop. I have ran this list and decided to cut upgrades as they seldom work out or just don't fit into the units specific task.

HQ:

Pasknisher, camo, HB all around. Battletank, camo, hull HB.

CCS, carapace, 2 melt w/ chimera

Troops:

Inf Plt

PCS, vox

4 squads w/ vox

3x Vets, carapace, 3x melta, chimera

Heavy:

Vanquisher, camo, hull lascannon

Wyvern plain

Wyvern plain.

So I used to run camo netting on everything. Didn't seem to work at all as my chimera's w/ melta were charging forward often in the open, and if some is determined to take out the wyvern, well they die easy so. I cut those points and my question is this. I have about 225p to work with. If I cut the vox's I have 250p. What do you guys think about HWT vs Sentinels. I have autocannon HWT. I have a primaris psyker as well. I was thinking something like this.

Take away vox's and add

Primaris psyker lvl 2

Auto HWT

Armored sentinel auto cannon

Add +1 melt to CCS

Or

Take away vox's and add

PCS making 2 platoons

X2 Auto HWT

X2 scout sentinels base

Please let me know which you think functions better. I believe I have enough AT, I need more Anti infantry.

I prefer to go lighter on upgrades too, more units is always a good plan so long as they are effective. For example flamers are cheap but do a lot for infantry squads. HWTs have sadly been left behind somewhat by the game so I'd go for Sentinels. Scout ones in particular can stalk in by Outflank and cause mischief, I like autocannons to this end. Cheap enough and a couple of shots at good strength at range means you can reach quite a bit on their side and rear armour :)

Although advantage of the armoured ones now with the grenade clarification. Is that you can counter charge any DS units trying to kill your tanks and they're stuck against an AV12 walker. They're going to be really lucky to take that thing out in 2 rounds of combat when they only have potentially a single grenade needing 6s to glance.

what kind of games are you playing, Eternal or Maelstrom?

The Vanquisher is inefficent points at BS3. A Vindicare would probably give you better results.

I would recommend getting Autocannons into the Infantry Squads, they can do both anti-inf and anti-vehicle that way. Barebones lasgun guys arent going to get much done. Only time I would recommend HWT would be with an Aegis for go to ground/get back in the fight orders, but there is so much ignores cover S6+ in the game now that autokill them.

Lately I tend to include 1-2 single Autocannon Scout Sentinels, theyre cheap and can outflank to objectives or linebreaker, maybe pop a tank if theyre lucky. Even a barebones one with HFlamer can sometimes ambush an unsuspecting flanker unit.

Youre really heavily invested in Melta weapons with the Vets (tank heavy meta?), plasma in the CCS might be a good ahift for some anti-TEQ. Keeps your CCS out of harms way a bit more too.

Sound advice has already been given. What I will suggest is looking into a different partner for pask. I really like battle cannons, though they tend to stick in the back lines providing cover fire for the advancing troops. If he's with pask he(she) will be moving up, as the Gatling gun is 24" range. If you want pie plates maybe bring a demolisher? Or any other tank that's more of an assault tank.

My meta is deep striking everything, the melt provides a nice response to 2+, and all the buildings and lords of war I come across. I agree on the vanquisher, tends to o ly score 1 hit a round, that was what I would be casting prescience on. Maybe I could grab an executioner to partner with pask. I like the thought of buying a turn by assaulting with the sentinels. As for flamers, guard die. Normally before I ever get into flamer threat range, I tend to run them cheap and overwhelm my opponent with units to target. I think I may run the sentinels and scratch the HWT, and as for the vanquisher, I may go vandetta eventually. I hate turn two entry though. Guards strength is usually the first two turns.

Archived