The Last Hunt by RobMac

b1soul

Looking at the loyalist primarchs

1. Guilliman (revived)

2. Khan (missing)

3. Corax (missing)

4. Vulkan (missing)

5. Russ (missing)

6. Lion (kept in stasis in The Rock, only the Emperor and the Watchers in the Dark know of this...possibly no longer canon?)

7. Dorn (old "skeleton in amber" fluff no longer canon...no idea what is current canon)

8. Sangunius (dead...perhaps fragment of soul or some sorta soul-echo survives as Sanguinor)

9. Ferrus (dead, decapitated, perhaps soul related to the Legion of the Damned somehow?)

If I were GW, I might throw in Khan, Corax, and Vulkan to spice up the setting. Perhaps have RG track down one or more of them. It would make sense for RG to have a secret side-project to locate any loyalist primarchs possibly still alive. I would save the likes of Russ and the Lion for when the company really needs a sales boost. Not sure about Dorn. Perhaps his fate could justify a BL series?

Let me add this while I am thinking about it.  We all know that sales is king (as it should be) for GW.  Red Tithe and this book made me want to go out and buy a whole new army. Once we get some decent White Scars/Raven Guard (for Carcharadons) upgrade sprues and some sweet Primaris grav bikes, it is on.  Show this to your bosses RobMac.  That 16 dollars I paid for the book looks more like 200-300 once I get those things.

For a writer I am sure that writing well is the primary concern, and that is covered! Now lets be practical and get the powers to be backing more of these novels!

Really glad you enjoyed the book! In terms of helping out us writers, there's three steps you can take. First is the most obvious, buy the book. As you say, sales are (normally) king. Step two is write a review, preferably on places like Goodreads. That can be as simple as assigning it a number out of five stars, you don't actually need to write anything about the piece itself. 

Step three is possibly the most helpful of all. Email Black Library (contact@blacklibrary.com), tell them you loved the book, and if applicable add stuff like "it's inspired me to collect the army" or "the Carcharodon Astra totally deserve their own codex supplement..." stuff like that... 

If the interest is there, the fruits will follow! Regardless, it's great hearing that The Last Hunt has inspired you!

Ok, you got me! Dammit!

I'll buy that freakin' e-book and read it right after finishing World Engine and even before rereading Scars and PoH!

Look what you made me do...

Rob, you're the first one, who "forced" me to purchase your digital stuff. If you want more of my money, go and take care that your Scars and Charcharodons get some omnibus as well! And stop doing so great stuff....at least for a while...I really got a lot else to read through...seriously....take a nap...or do some vacation...or whatever you authors do...you know...usual stuff...now, go!

Just kiddin'.

Never stop, ok? :wink:

Edited by Kelborn

Yup, that's a great review...the call of the Khagan eh? Has me intrigued.

If the subplot involves the Eldar...could that be setting up the WS to find their primarch in the Webway?

The Last Hunt is...An interesting novel; one which plays to the strengths of its writer and also makes good use of the New Normal post-Gathering Storm. It is a novel that exemplifies the contrary nature of the White Scars in what must be one of the best 40k renditions of the Chapter thus far.

The Last Hunt sets itself amidst the chaos of 8th; with Cadia broken and rumours of a Primarch's return abroad, as well as Baal reeling from tyranid attack. These aren't simply background observations but serve instead to ground the narrative. The White Scars face one of the many bastard splinters of Leviathan after the opening of the Great Rift, in this case classified as Hive Fleet Cicatrix. They also find themselves aware of the "call of the Khagan", as their Stormseers seek word of him on the winds, and the brotherhoods feel the call at their hearts. With one primarch awakened, might others return?

This pull seeks to derail them from their duty; relieving the honour-world of Darkand from the hive fleet. The introduction indicates, however, that this will not be an easy task. An atmospheric opening introduces the looming threat of one of my favourite returning concepts to canon; Genestealer Cultists. With their return to codex being one of the highlights of 7th, the Cults have been a joy to read in their appearances thusfar, and this is no different. They add a creeping human veneer to the tyranid menace, and lace the narrative with the promise of betrayal.

In addition to this is a B plot involving the Eldar, which ties together most interestingly by the end. I'm not a fan of the particular trope invoked at the novel's end, but the execution truly makes it pay off. It makes me hopeful that we return to these characters in the future; something that feels likely, or else this could have been a Space Marine Conquests novel. Suffice to say, by the end, the novel feels as though it has earned its title; though perhaps not as we might have assumed.

The action throughout is handled with a flowing frenetic grace that truly honours the Chapter; MacNiven makes each engagement feel dynamic and vital. The tyranid bioforms are rendered in a sickening riot of prose, which drives home the bio-horror of their weaponry, often with cringe-inducing terminology. Orifice-cannons and brainsacs aplenty here.

All in all this is a glorious leap in the right direction for the new normal of the setting. While early in the new narrative, it stands alongside Dark Imperium and Watchers of the Throne in steadying the direction of the setting. Robbie MacNiven continues to define himself as the go-to for outliers and savage forces, while also being able to capture the culture, philosophy and grandeur that lies underneath. This is, in no small part, due to his apt use of native terms and ideas- just as with the Carcharadons.

Also worth noting is the use of quotes to break up the chapters of the book, all of which have an immediate or broader source and all of which are significant, thought provoking and memorable. The use of the countdown to the height of Furnace Season and the Xenos Invasion are also a useful and tension-managing tool; which pays off towards the end of the novel.

I would highly recommend this novel to fans of the White Scars and anyone wanting to have an enjoyable and bloody romp through the early days of the new setting.

- Marc Collins (5 out of 5)

• 3 weeks later...

So I started this today and let me tell you, I'm glad that I quit World Engine in favor of this one.

Although I just finished the first chapter, it hooked me right away. Way more then half of World Engine. Rob really knows how to make one curious.

This seemingly cult is something I'd not anticipated (or maybe I just forgot about them) but it seems to add a lot to the overall story.

Apparently this is not like Warriors of Ultramar. It's different and I can't wait to get back home. :P

So I started this today and let me tell you, I'm glad that I quit World Engine in favor of this one.

Although I just finished the first chapter, it hooked me right away. Way more then half of World Engine. Rob really knows how to make one curious.

This seemingly cult is something I'd not anticipated (or maybe I just forgot about them) but it seems to add a lot to the overall story.

Apparently this is not like Warriors of Ultramar. It's different and I can't wait to get back home. :tongue.:

Glad you're enjoying it. I was heavily inspired by Warriors of Ultramar but I'm glad it's seen to be treading new ground, I guess :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it a lot!

I'm a huge fan of Wraight's Heresy-era White Scars, and this book managed to capture a lot of what made his characterization unique while still making it clear that we're looking at a chapter set in M41, with all the history behind it that would have changed it from its legion days.  It felt right.  

I didn't think the allusions to their appreciation for speed were overbearing, and that speed was well utilized.  It's always risky to say something like, "No other fighting force in the Imperium of Man venerated speed more highly than the White Scars, nor put it to deadlier effect," but I could accept it here.  There was, sorry to say, another comparative sentence (not about speed) that bothered me later in the book, where Feng is seeing things and we get, "Such thoughts would have broken the will of lesser warriors."  That's the sort of phrase more common in codexes where I tend to think that, dunno, that may be going too far.  Similar story with, "Such a simple order would have meant nothing to the officers of the Imperial Navy..."  But that's just a pet peeve of mine.

There wasn't too much of that overly heroic and flowery prose 40k is famous for, and the battles in space and on land were great reads.  What I liked best was getting a convincing account of how a mere 100 marines could achieve as much as they did - without the Tyranids feeling like mindless cannon fodder.  That was great. 

Even the plot device used later in the book came off well.  I'm usually not a fan of that sort of thing, but having an effect on the characters themselves (Feng, mostly) and not just the plot made it feel worthwhile.

I'm definitely looking forward to more! Edited by carlisimo

I liked it a lot!

I'm a huge fan of Wraight's Heresy-era White Scars, and this book managed to capture a lot of what made his characterization unique while still making it clear that we're looking at a chapter set in M41, with all the history behind it that would have changed it from its legion days.  It felt right.  

I didn't think the allusions to their appreciation for speed were overbearing, and that speed was well utilized.  It's always risky to say something like, "No other fighting force in the Imperium of Man venerated speed more highly than the White Scars, nor put it to deadlier effect," but I could accept it here.  There was, sorry to say, another comparative sentence (not about speed) that bothered me later in the book, where Feng is seeing things and we get, "Such thoughts would have broken the will of lesser warriors."  That's the sort of phrase more common in codexes where I tend to think that, dunno, that may be going too far.  Similar story with, "Such a simple order would have meant nothing to the officers of the Imperial Navy..."  But that's just a pet peeve of mine.

There wasn't too much of that overly heroic and flowery prose 40k is famous for, and the battles in space and on land were great reads.  What I liked best was getting a convincing account of how a mere 100 marines could achieve as much as they did - without the Tyranids feeling like mindless cannon fodder.  That was great.  Even the plot device used later in the book came off well.  I'm usually not a fan of that sort of thing, but having an effect on the characters themselves (Feng, mostly) and not just the plot made it feel worthwhile.

I'm definitely looking forward to more!

Comparison's to Wraight's work is the highest praise this can get in my opinion. Glad you liked it. 

If Robmac is lurking, I'm curious:

Is there any particular branding this falls under? Series? Stand alone? Maybe a Space Marine Conquests that was ready too early? 

It stands as its own White Scars series, standalone at the moment but if the desire is there I'd like to do sequels. 

Edited by RobMac

Just finished it and I can only agree with what Carlisimo said!

I'm not an expert in terms of prose, etc. BUT whoever likes Chris' work on the White Scars and Rob's Carcharodons will definitely not be disappointed with this one.

The Tyranids were well and frightening written. While Warriors of Ultramar covered them to be like an endless tide with gigantic monsters, did they felt more menacing, individually in the Last Hunt. We got certain leader creatures which got some spotlight like Tyrants, a Mawloc and a Harpy with which our main characters have to deal with.

I simply loved the Scars characters, especially Feng & Hagai + Timchet. For me, Feng is the main character as he goes through the toughest situations and really had a development during the story. Although Joghaten and Chi'sin are supposed to be the main characters, I feel like Rob especially loved to write about Feng, due to Fengs past, his struggles and a way of showing us another form of a White Scars brother, a haunted, plagued, somehow death seeking one. Hagai + Timchet (crew of a Land Speeder) reminded me of Statler and Waldorf and I loved it!

Adding caligraphy as one of their form of arts was a nice little addition. Overall do we have several, beautiful details which were taken from Chris work, somewhat changed or added by Rob and transferred to the newest Dark Imperium White Scars.

The plot itself was gripping, especially when you've reached the middle of the book. Since then, I was nearly forced to put it aside due to real-life duties.

And we got a lot of stuff happening in here (BEWARE OF SOME MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!)

Tyranids + a genestealer cult (Though I was a bit confused as I've understood it that Harren was killed during the ceremony but it seems like he was infested or something like this?)

Eldar + Dark Eldar

Time travel shenanigans (Though this was well done, it was a bit predictable but nonetheless well written, especially as this is responsible for the major character development for some protagonists.)

AND

One (nearly) entire brotherhood within the webway, searching for the Khagan! :ohmy.:

I wish that this novel will be as successful as the Red Tithe was. Rob just deserves it. He needs to have a chance to continue his stories, which by far, were enjoyable, well written and overall amazing!

And

the webway plot just HAVE to be continued! I mean, I assume that, if Rob writes a second one, we will be following the Fourth Brotherhood within the webway, searching for the Khagan. This would be a perfect example of "how to write a story about bringing a Primarch back" instead of the Gathering Storm issue we had this year.

IMHO, GW should react on the rising popularity of the Scars. Their 30K arc is among the best of what the HH has to offer, if not THE best story arc in the entire setting. Now we got a really decent story, which portrays them well within the newest Setting. C'mon, GW. Give them some attention! :wink:

Edited by Kelborn

I'm not an expert in terms of prose, etc. BUT whoever likes Chris' work on the White Scars and Rob's Carcharodons will definitely not be disappointed with this one.

The Tyranids were well and frightening written. While Warriors of Ultramar covered them to be like an endless tide with gigantic monsters, did they felt more menacing, individually in the Last Hunt. We got certain leader creatures which got some spotlight like Tyrants, a Mawloc and a Harpy with which our main characters have to deal with.

I simply loved the Scars characters, especially Feng & Hagai + Timchet. For me, Feng is the main character as he goes through the toughest situations and really had a development during the story. Although Joghaten and Chi'sin are supposed to be the main characters, I feel like Rob especially loved to write about Feng, due to Fengs past, his struggles and a way of showing us another form of a White Scars brother, a haunted, plagued, somehow death seeking one. Hagai + Timchet (crew of a Land Speeder) reminded me of Statler and Waldorf and I loved it!

Adding caligraphy as one of their form of arts was a nice little addition. Overall do we have several, beautiful details which were taken from Chris work, somewhat changed or added by Rob and transferred to the newest Dark Imperium White Scars.

The plot itself was gripping, especially when you've reached the middle of the book. Since then, I was nearly forced to put it aside due to real-life duties.

Tyranids + a genestealer cult (Though I was a bit confused as I've understood it that Harren was killed during the ceremony but it seems like he was infested or something like this?)

Eldar + Dark Eldar

Time travel shenanigans (Though this was well done, it was a bit predictable but nonetheless well written, especially as this is responsible for the major character development for some protagonists.)

AND

One (nearly) entire brotherhood within the webway, searching for the Khagan! :ohmy.:

I wish that this novel will be as successful as the Red Tithe was. Rob just deserves it. He needs to have a chance to continue his stories, which by far, were enjoyable, well written and overall amazing!

And

the webway plot just HAVE to be continued! I mean, I assume that, if Rob writes a second one, we will be following the Fourth Brotherhood within the webway, searching for the Khagan. This would be a perfect example of "how to write a story about bringing a Primarch back" instead of the Gathering Storm issue we had this year.

IMHO, GW should react on the rising popularity of the Scars. Their 30K arc is among the best of what the HH has to offer, if not THE best story arc in the entire setting. Now we got a really decent story, which portrays them well within the newest Setting. C'mon, GW. Give them some attention! :wink:

I'm doing my best to encourage GW/FW! Got a bunch of White Scar MkII heads and shoulder pads.  Aaaannnd then there was nothing else to buy.  Give me the Keshig!

And some Primaris bikes to convert. 

Eldar + Dark Eldar

AND

And

Glad you liked it! I have to say Joghaten was my favourite to write but Timchet and Hagai are close seconds. Feng was interesting... strange to say but it was quite a melancholic experience bringing him to life (no pun intended), more so than anything I've written previously. 

It's been nearly a year now since I wrote this novel and since then it's been eclipsed in my memory by Carcharodon and Primaris work, but you folks are making me feel like I should be thinking about pitching White Scars #2 to the editors at some point :wink:

Edited by RobMac

Thanks for sharing, Rob!

Don't feel forced to continue their story. But, imho, it has a lot of potential. Especially in terms of the Khagan's rediscovery.

AND:

Timchet chatting and arguing with a spectral Hagai, within the webway, could be hilarious!

"Watch out. Upper right."

"Shut up. I saw that."

"Then where did that scratch came from?"

"What scrat- ARGH!"

"Told ya."

• 2 weeks later...

Also. The word ululating was used like ... loads, lol

Four times apparently :biggrin.:

Smarty pants! Maybe it was just a unique word that I noticed.

It wasn’t as bad as some other book I read from the new setting. That one had the word “enfilading” in it loads of times. I can’t remember which one that was though!