1500pt Deathwatch vs Grey Knights

Nyx of the Night

So I played a decently quick game yesterday against a local.

My list was:

1500 pts BSSF

Watch Commander 130

Chaplain w/ Tome of Ectoclades, Melta Bombs

Strategium Command Team 430

Artemis

Aquila Kill Team

Sergeant w/ Combat Shield, Shotgun/Boltgun

Veteran w/ Shotgun/Boltgun x2

Veteran w/ Frag Cannon x2

Terminator w/ Hvy Flamer/ Power Fist/Meltagun

Terminator w/ Assault Cannon/Power Fist

Aquila Kill Team 335

Sergeant w/ Combat Shield, Shotgun/Boltgun

Veteran w/ Shotgun/Boltgun x2

Veteran w/ Frag Cannon x2

Librarian ML2 w/ Beacon Angelis, Combat Shield

Razorback w/ Dozer Blade

Aquila Kill Team 345

Sergeant w/ Stalker boltgun

Veteran w/ Stalker boltgun x3

Veteran w/ Missile Launcher

Librarian ML2 w/ Dominus Aegis

Razorback w/ TL Lascannon, Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

Armor 260

Land Raider Crusader w/ Multi-melta

His list was a Grand Master with Paladins and an Apothecary, a unit of Terminators with a Librarian, a unit of Interceptors with the flamer thing and a Razorback, a venerable Dreadnought, and a basic Land Raider.

We each deployed around the center of our side, Artemis and co. joined the chaplain in the Land Raider, the other Frag kill team deployed in their transport, and the Stalker team found a building to set up in, leaving their Razorback to be elsewhere for support.  His paladins and Grand Master where in his Land Raider, and the rest was deployed next to it, with the Termies in reserve.

I rolled on Telepathy, and got Shrouding on one libby, with all the rest being crap.  Artemis was the warlord.  I had first turn, and I started up the field, taking a bunch of shots but doing no damage.  He pushed forward, also did no damage.  I moved some more, took a couple points off the Land Raider and the Razorback, still doing crap for damage.  He charged my Razorback kill team with the dreadnought, doing 2 damage, he got a crew shaken on my raider.  I assaulted his Raider with Artemis and co. out of mine, and the termies powerfisted their way through it, revealing the paladins.  I popped out of my razorback with the other frag team, and they one shot the dreadnought.  My missile launcher finally got the enemy razorback to 1.

His paladins charged into Artemis and co., taking them all out except for Artemis.  I expected this, but I hoped to do more than 2 wounds.  One of which was via Artemis and his stasis bomb, the chaplain's reroll of course was needed.  His termies finally come in, and his other squad pops out to try and flame my other frag squad, killing one guy.  My turn, I killed the Interceptor squad with my stalker squad, and my Land Raider and Frag squad kill his termies completely.  Artemis manages to survive with one wound somehow, keeping him from charging anything else with his Paladins on his turn.  He proceeds to kill Artemis and consolidate, but my Frags, stalker squad, las Razorback, and Land Raider kill them all but the grand master.  He then conceeds, having a single wound Grand Master and a single wound Razorback.

Congrats on the victory! How do feel you would have done against a NDK (Nemesis dreadknight) or two with your list? To me it seems he wasn't using a very potent list. I play grey knights also and never leave Titan without my NDK! How did the BSSF work for you? I've heard people have had mixed results with it!

Oh yeah, he definitely wasn't playing an optimised list, he was just playing some stuff for fun, since neither of us get to play a lot.  And this being only my second game of Deathwatch, I haven't played with my stuff a lot either, lol.

A NDK would definitely be tougher than the dreadnought, but I have no idea how well my list would have stacked up.  Next time I want him to play one, if not two.

The BSSF letting me pick mission tactics again was the only reason I took it, since I obviously didn't deep strike anything.  Unfortunately, I forgot my tactics rule entirely until the turns I was shooting at the termies and the paladins, so, mixed results, haha.

Good job. Sounds like a fun game. I think you guys had a pretty fun and even matchup with those lists.

Truthfully if you wanted him to play you tougher he would have to change almost his entire list. I think this was a good matchup for fun list wise and all that matters is you both had fun.

Archived