2000 Pts Sons of Horus

N3rdhead

So Guys, can u help me improve my List? I played one game with a similar list against Taghmata and got completely destroyed. I have a couple of other models, but yet unpainted and some money to buy new stuff biggrin.png So dont hesitate to say what i should REALLY buy smile.png

thx 4 help

heres the list, its some points short for suggestions:

+++ Sons of Horus 2000 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v43) (1792pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v204) (1792pts) ++

+ HQ (262pts) +

····Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour]
······Consul [Master of Signal]

····Legion Praetor (157pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Combi-Weapon]

+ Elites (525pts) +

····Apothecarion Detachment (110pts)
······Legion Apothecary
········Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Chainsword/Combat Blade]
······Legion Apothecary
········Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

····Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (415pts)
······Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Extra Armour, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]
······Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Extra Armour, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

+ Troops (725pts) +

····Legion Tactical Squad (145pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
······Additional Wargear [bolters]
······Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour]
········Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Meltagun]

····Legion Tactical Squad (135pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
······Additional Wargear [bolters]
······Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolter]

····Legion Terminator Squad (230pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Terminators, Pair of Lightning Claws, 2x Power Fist]
······Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness]

····Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (215pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]
······Additional Wargear [2x Meltagun]
······Legion Veteran Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol]
········Power Weapon [Power Sword]

+ Fast Attack (185pts) +

····Legion Seeker Squad (185pts) [2x Combi-weapon, 4x Legion Seeker Space Marines]
······Legion Strike Leader [Artificer Armour]

+ Heavy Support (95pts) +

····Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (95pts)
······Legion Predator Tank [Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Predator Cannon]

+ Legion +

····Legiones Astartes [ XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor]

····Rite of War [Pride of the Legion]

+ Force Organization +

····Force Organization
······Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

Created with BattleScribe

Hey N3rdhead, tough break with the loss. Your list has a fair few issue with it though, sorry to say. Am I right in guessing you've started with a Betrayal at Calth set?

Firstly, you have no need to run "Pride of the Legion", as you already have 2 Tactical Squads covering your Compulsory Troops. All it does is penalises you, because if the Vets and Terminators die you give up 2 VPs, and you have to have more Legiones Astartes units than non-LA units.

I would strongly recommend you get some vehicles:

- a Land Raider Phobos could work for the Terminators. You could make them a 4-man Terminator Command Squad, as they're great value, and then they'll fit in the LR with the Praetor.

- Rhinos with dozer blades & multi-meltas are a better investment for 10-man Tactical Squads than Apothecaries (which are good for 15+ models).

- 1 Predator isn't going to do a lot, so I'd grab 1 more. Might want to make their sponsons lascannons so the list has more anti-Tank.

- a Dreadclaw (see below).

Your lone Master of Signal is not going to do anything of note. Sons already get +1BS within 12" with most weapons, so it's cognis-signum is best used on a Heavy Support Squad.

Similarly, the 5-man Seeker Squad is going to die fast. They need a delivery system and more men (and maybe more combi-weapons). Might be better saving them for bigger games.

Sons of Horus Veterans are very strong, especially with meltaguns/combi-meltas and "Machine Killers". They're best delivery system is a Dreadclaw - they will arrive Turn 1, jump out, and slag a tank easily.

I would make both Contemptors into Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnoughts - they really punch above their 180 points. Would require 2 Elite slots though.

Finally, giving Sergeants artificer armour is a great option, as they can stand up front (in a heroic manner) and tank wounds for the squad.

Here's a quick list I threw together, using the models you have listed already:

HQ

Praetor in Terminator armour: Terminator armour (Cataphractii); combi-melta; chainfist; digital lasers 172

4 Chosen Terminators: Terminator Standard Bearer (combi-bolter; chainfist); 3 Chosen Terminators; Terminator armour (Cataphractii); combi-bolter; 2 × power fist; pair of lightning claws; heavy flamer 195

Land Raider Phobos: dozer blade; armoured ceramite 250

TROOPS

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; legion vexilla 150

Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; legion vexilla 150

Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

ELITES

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons; extra armour 185

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons; extra armour 185

10 Veteran Space Marines: Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist); Machine Killers; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 2 × combi-meltas; legion vexilla; 2 × meltagun 245

FAST ATTACK

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod xxx

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Strike Squadron

Predator: 2 sponson-mounted lascannon; dozer blade 120

Predator: 2 sponson-mounted lascannon; dozer blade 120

1,997 points

You'd only need 2 Rhinos, a Predator & a Land Raider (you could even get plastic GW ones) and a Dreadclaw from FW. Hope this helps man! :)

So what do u guys think about that?  This is with models i already have. Inititally they were planned for starting my Space Wolves 30k Army, but ill have to wait for the book anyway... so i could still paint them green :D I also got a Leviathan with Cyclonic Melta Lance and Siege Claw.

Sons of Horus Competitive (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v43) (2000pts)
The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v204) (2000pts)
  • HQ (605pts)
    • Ezekyle Abaddon (500pts)

Combi-bolter with only Banestrike Bolter shells

• Justaerin Terminator Squad

5x Justaerin Terminators, Multi-melta

• Legion Centurion (105pts)

Artificer Armour

• Consul

Master of Signal

• Elites (650pts)
    • Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (425pts)
      • Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

• Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Extra Armour, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (225pts)

9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen

• Additional Wargear

2x Meltagun

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol

• Power Weapon

Power Sword

• Troops (280pts)
    • Legion Tactical Squad (145pts)

9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

• Additional Wargear

Bolters

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour

• Combi-weapon

Combi-weapon: Meltagun

• Legion Tactical Squad (135pts)

9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

• Additional Wargear

Bolters

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Bolter

• Heavy Support (465pts)
    • Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (120pts)
      • Legion Predator Tank

Armoured Ceramite, Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Predator Cannon

• Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (225pts)

Accelerator Autocannon, Armoured Ceramite, Lascannon Sponsons, Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter

• Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (120pts)

Extra Armour, Scorpius Multi-Launcher

• Legion
    • Legiones Astartes

XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor

• Force Organization
    • Force Organization
      • Battles in the Age of Darkness

Age of Darkness Primary Detachment

Hi there

With the list you have just written, I would recommend using Pride of the legion so you get veterans as troops

I have a few other suggestions:

- drop the armoured ceramite and heavy bolter from the sicaran; they're not necessary

- drop the plasma pistol from the vet sergeant (plasma pistols are too expensive)

- drop the master of signals, he doesn't have good synergy with your list

- Take the power sword on abaddon, you don't need the combi bolter

- If you want to take the leviathan, I'd probably drop the predator

- The leviathan dreadnought would be a great addition to your list, but you need a drop pod to get the most out of it

- I'd drop the multimelta from the justaerin and give them all combi melta/plasma

- drop the fist/kheres contemptor and take the dual kheres as a mortis contemptor, this will give you a bit more anti air

- the 2x 10 man tacticals aren't going to do much in your list, the pride of the legion RoW fits well in my opinion, so you could move your marksmen vets from elites to troops section, and then swap the 2 tactical squads for a second veteran squad

This would give you a list like this:

HQ

Abaddon 

5 Justaerin, 5 combi plasma(or melta) 1 chainfist, 2 power fist

Elites

Mortis contemptor, 2x kheres assault cannons

Troops

10 marksmen veterans, 2 melta guns, 3 combi melta, artificer armour

10 marksmen veterans, 2 melta guns, 3 combi melta, artificer armour (can be plasma guns and combi plasma if you prefer)

Heavy support

Leviathan dreadnought, melta lance, armoured ceramite, phosphex discharger, drop pod

sicaran battle tank, lascannon sponsons

whirlwind scorpius, extra armour

This leaves you with about 20-40 points left (haven't worked it out exactly). You can drop the dreadnought down and cause havoc straight away, plus 2 squads of outflanking vets and Abaddon deep striking in with 5 combi weapons which can be brutal.

Those are my suggestions!

Good luck :)

I didn't realise I'd left the rite of war as pride of the legion, I'm used to running The Long March.

In which case I'd suggest splitting one of the veteran squads into 5, there should be sufficient points left over.

Pride of the legion

HQ

Abaddon 

5 Justaerin, 5 combi plasma(or melta) 1 chainfist, 2 power fist

Elites

Mortis contemptor, 2x kheres assault cannons

Troops

10 marksmen veterans, 2 melta guns, 3 combi melta, artificer armour

5 marksmen veterans, 1 melta gun, 2 combi melta, artificer armour (can be plasma guns and combi plasma if you prefer)

5 marksmen veterans, 1 melta gun, 2 combi melta, artificer armour (can be plasma guns and combi plasma if you prefer)

Heavy support

Leviathan dreadnought, melta lance, armoured ceramite, phosphex discharger, drop pod

sicaran battle tank, lascannon sponsons

whirlwind scorpius, extra armour

Or you could swap the scorpius for Maloghurst and take The Long March (Maloghurst makes veterans troops)

Archived