Dealing with a Primarch?

Vogon

How do you go about dealing with a Primarch in a game?

I recently had a game at 2000pts which featured Angron with 10 red butchers in the opposing force.

It's the first time playing 30K where I've actually had to face off against a Primarch (I run Alpha Legion) and I just didn't have an answer in a 2000 army.

Cheers

Vogon

Angron doesn't like getting shot, and he gets stranded without a transport.

I suspect that was why he was in the middle of a Bunch of Red Butchers.

Vindicators sounds a plan, I'll have to have a look into that.  

Cheers

Vogon

Yeah, Typhons and Vindicators are a good way to go to blow them up. If they are in a tough transport like a Spartan, Graviton weapons have haywire and enough of them can glance it to death, as well as keep the Red Butchers in difficult terrain (and I think they have cataphractii armour so can't run) which will slow them down while you blow them up with other things.

I don't have a Typhon or other super heavy, the local group has been slowly building 30K armies and this guy was just the first to put a Primarch down on the table top. I have my own version of Alpharius but I haven't fielded him yet.

The rest of the group aren't far behind with adding Primarchs but after this one game I was shocked how hard it was on the table top and was wondering what people did to deal with them.

It sounds like firepower is the way to go and not Mele?

Cheers

Vogon

In fairness, I recently fought an Angron squad with that annoying Surlak character giving him a 4+ FNP.

Templates didn't do much that time, and with correct spread of models it's not always easy.

Your deployment, unit positioning and early game firepower are important when dealing with a Primarch run in this manner. Deploy in a way that forces him to chose a table side, then get him stranded there if possible.

At 2000 points running 10 Red Butchers and Angron would leave him with very few units on the table.

That's a very expensive unit. The best way to beat this sort of list is to play to it's weakness- he has few supporting units and can only be in one place at one time. As Alpha legion you should have an easy time spreading out your army or ganging up on his much weaker supporting elements. As for the deathstar itself, either invest some points in getting rid of the transport or spend some points on a blocker unit or two to act as tarpits. Spend as little as possible to contain the deathstar and spend the rest on the other parts of your army where you already have a big advantage.

I don't have a Typhon or other super heavy, the local group has been slowly building 30K armies and this guy was just the first to put a Primarch down on the table top. I have my own version of Alpharius but I haven't fielded him yet.

The rest of the group aren't far behind with adding Primarchs but after this one game I was shocked how hard it was on the table top and was wondering what people did to deal with them.

It sounds like firepower is the way to go and not Mele?

Cheers

Vogon

If you don't want to invest in a super heavy, I highly recommend taking Contemptor Dreadnought talons or a Leviathan or two. They'll both have an invuln save (though obviously o e less than the other) but they strike at initiative with S10 AP2 attacks, which will obliterate 2 wounds terminators like crazy. That would be the high road option.

What legion are you playing? There might be answers within.

Edit: derp you said Alpharius. Take coils of the hydra which allows you to take a legion specific unit. Be an absolute troll and take Firedrakes for 2+/3++ with Thunder hammers, or take Ultramarine Suzerians. They've got I4 AP2 with double wounds on 6's, a 5++ in cc, and their breachers shields count as defensive grenades, so say goodbye to charge bonuses.

:devil:

To continue on from depthcharges point on contemptors, one with 2 fists and dual plasma blasters would make a right bloody mess of those butchers. Angron would potentially eat it right up. However the point is those red butchers are a splat on the pavement.

If you're lucky you could make all your atomantic saves, and angron could have duff rolls :p

What about other Primarchs?

Is it worth throwing one against another in Mele to hold them up? Obviously they should be able to at least hold their own against each other but I'm pretty sure that Alpharius will come off worst against most of them.

I'm not looking forward to facing Vulcan or The Gorgon

Cheers

Vogon

To answer a couple of questions.

Scenery varies depending where we are. In store we can litter the table with scenery but in homes then things get a bit more varied. Most of mine is hills forests and rocks than city scape.

On to army selection I have available (assembled and painted)

Alpharius (kitbashed but not yet fielded)

Autilon Skorr

Exodous

Preator Tribune

Forge Lord

2x10 man tac Squads

1x10 man Vet tac squad

5 man tac support with Volkite Calivers

5 man heavy with missile launchers

2 Contemptors both with assault canons

5 Lernaean Terminators (soon to be 10 once I finish painting)

3 Thallax

1 Sicaran Venator

In the wings assembled but unpainted Spartan and Sicaran

Thinking of my next purchase I am considering a Falchion so I can bring some Strength D to the table. I don't think there are any other Legion options for St D.

Cheers

Vogon

Archived