Yes, I also have some of them

Rod.H

This is probably my most recent Imperial faction, and no doubt picked the wrong way to start it by getting the Kill Team Cassius but at the time the battleforce & SC boxes weren't  even on the horizon.
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/A_Rod_H/minis/minatures%20005_zpsrizsl65k.jpg
So I started with KTC, added another KT and the Corvis. Then picked up the captains, watch master and another KT box. The missile launcher's from a SM Devastator box I forgot I had.

I'll probably use the 2nd box to do another lot of shotgun vets and if I can dig up some usable SM bodies from my parts boxes, bulk them up with the rest of the DW weapons.

However, I can't find a clear answer to what Blackshields are allowed to take. All I've found is that they can't take the two-handed thunderhammer and nothing that contradicts me from being able to put a Stalker bolter on a Blackshield.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/A_Rod_H/minis/minatures%20006_zpse1jcotbn.jpg
If there is, then I'll remove that pauldron & replace it with a Dark Angels one. 

'Mumbles' Not that the black shield was an optimal pick to begin with....

I started much like you did but my modeling progress has been so slow that i've only gotten about six DW models built, I wish GW would have started with the get started box or the watchblade taskforce before single unit repacks.

Then, I'll probably not use that one as a true Blackshield. For some reason a dual powersword Blackshield doesn't appeal to me.

How about a reason him being more expensive than a captain or ML2 librarian? tongue.png

Yeah, just use the pad for flavour, black shield is only worth it in one or two niche builds...

Personally I feel that seeing as youre paying points to have the Special Issue Ammunition getting rid of it is a waist of points so I have a black shield with a Power Fist and another with a thunderhammer. Sure they might not have as many attacks as would be potentially possible but 5 WS 5 power fist attacks will still mess people up.

Pretty much any build that pushes DW into melee is probably bad, as the risk/reward nature of it is definitely to their detriment.  With that in mind Blackshields really are something of a points sink.  That being said, if you're just building for fun I see no reason not to use one, but I'd definitely give him some kind of melee upgrade if you do so.  The Power Axe is a nice cheap pick assuming you're willing to use the Watch Sergeant to soak challenges for him.

I'm somewhat building for fun and thinking at the same time on what niche can they cover when used as allies for say Sisters or if I play a game of Killteam.
So, I assembled another five DW vets, used up all the shotguns, stalkers and bodies. I also discovered an unused sprue of tac marines, which may or may not get the unused bolters, infernus & frag cannon.
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/A_Rod_H/minis/minatures%20002_zpsptjp6e1p.jpg
Inquisitor Greyfax is just there for a scale aid.

Painting, that'd probably go quicker if I'd a can of black spray paint/primer but I've got that covered with Vallejo black brush on primer. I've actually got DW upgrade sprues from each of the watch captain's box/blister. I may use assault marines instead as I've found some unused bodies. Don't know where their jump pack are though.

Archived