Returning to Guard after 15+ years

Thoridon

Thanks, I did think it was.

I might look at removing the assault cannon to use on a Marine vehicle as I need some there. Then I should have an old multilaser somewhere after putting heavy flamers on my newer Sentinels I can put on, or just add a heavy flamer here too and give it a Catachan feel to fit with the others.

• 2 years later...

It seems to have been a while since I posted here! Most of my painting focus has been on my Blood Angels but I have been working on my Guard still, including adding quite a few models to the collection.

Here are a couple of Hellhounds I (mostly) finished off this weekend for my Catachans: Burny and Toasty.

5wajg1N.jpg

I need to matte out the shininess of the number transfers on the side and I’m thinking if I add more weathering or leave it at this level.

And my Catachan infantry to go with them:

hsukysj.jpg

6 infantry squads all running flamers, a flamer special weapons squad, command squad with 3 flamers and a heavy flamer and a couple of non-flamer command squads (heavy bolter and snipers) as I’d used up all my flamers elsewhere...

My Catachans like their flamers.

The old metal Sly Marbo model is now a platoon commander wearing a power fist requisitioned from a suit of Terminator armour. Don’t ask me where he got it, but he sure likes punching things with it.

I just realised how bad that picture of my Catachans is, but it was a quick phone snap.

I added a little more to Straken's base and took a picture in better focus:

lFIpete.jpgWUwDWme.jpg

The shotgun looks a bit chalky in this which I hadn't seen in person. Guess I need to get a smoother finish there :smile.:

Edited by Thoridon

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been finishing them off but by bit over the past month. Just about done with them all now :)

Regimental Commanders up first:

3Rrn5Ek.jpg

The Major wields the legendary Sword of Lego, a relic he discovered after his Chainsword was shattered in half. Some say it snapped in combat against a greater daemon, others insist the officer fell off a shelf and landed on it. Only he really knows what happened to his last weapon.

The full detachment:

NPn9995.jpg

I don’t think I’ll be winning any awards for the angle of that photo but hey :p

With the 4 special weapons and extra heavy weapon teams I can mix the squad setups up a bit. The idea when they see play is to run 4 infantry squads, a heavy weapon squad, 2 command squads and the officers.

Next project on the list will either be my Cadians or Valhallans, though I do have a couple of Catachan Leman Russ and a Basilisk needing a repaint which should be done first to match my new scheme for those.

Then there’s a Vulture, Lightning Strike Fighter and a bunch of supporting characters (Priests, Commissars, Psykers etc.).

• 1 month later...

I haven’t started on the fliers yet as I wanted to get my Valhallan infantry painted up first. A little WIP of my new company commander next to the original attempt from ~20 years ago:

JsCYZov.jpg

I’ll be stripping the older copy and thinking of kit bashing him a bit to make him look different. No point having 2 identical officers! The new one came from the Platoon box I picked up from the recent Made to Order run which gave enough to bring my Valhallan numbers up nicely alongside the older batch.