Command Squads in 30k

Ishagu

So, I had a look at the book and I'm wondering what people think of Command Squads.

They seem to be a point efficient Bodyguard unit, and aren't bulky which means they can accompany other characters in Land Raiders as opposed to taking Spartans or other pricier Transports.

How are they best equipped? I think a squad of 5 all with Power Fists for 180 points can be pretty great. Of course they don't have an invul so they can die to ap2 in shooting, and will likely be mutually destroyed alongside other combat units they assault...

Just wondering if people think they're worth considering...

What lack of Invulns? They have Combat Shields or TDA.

Size is the main downside to them. At 5 strong with maxed unit size means that they can just die to weight of dice.

I mean I love them, and really wish Black Shields could take them talk about a customizable  unit. I mean these 5 guys can take just about every piece of gear in the game, combat shields melta bombs, on bikes with power fist everywhere 2+ armor, 4 + Jink, 5++/6++ invul, and If I had that with black shields theyd all be T6 S10 power fist too! I can see why I cant take them.

Add an Apoth, Reaver lord, and Chaplain, and an extra centurion man that would be awesome.

I  run them in my Ravenwing List  as a bodyguard for my Praetor 

4 Guys  1 Banner Bearer 

3 Power Fists  2 Power Swords

Combat Shields Across the Board

Since its ravenwing they have to take Jetbikes like my Praetor  
Acid Heavy Bolters  ( Poison 2+ roll for ap every time you fire)  are major motivators for this 

Though  its like a 400 point squad so , its pricy and a juicy target for stuff like typhons XD  

I find the Jetbike upgrade too expensive as they already have 2+ saves.

And combat shields cost points too but I guess they are probably mandatory.

I guess for Ultras I'll be sticking to Suzerains, though a squad of 5 is a bit pricey in my eyes.

I think they are sexy. I am still figuring out the best loadout.

Combat shields are a must, effectively making them Tartaros terminators in melee.

For weapons, fists are a bit expensive, but one on the banner bearer is not a terrible idea since he has two wounds.

I actually really like Flint's suggestion of charnabal sabers, especially if you have some kind of combat bonus (in my case either extra attack as Sons of Horus or preferred enemy as Alpha Legion). +1 initiative and rending is pretty good for challenges.

Then the fact that they are a sweeping unit for a combat character, I'm kind of tempted to put power swords in there to clean up typical power armor squads.

I may mix it up with 1x fist, 2x swords and 2x sabers. I've yet to build mine, just a few proxy games.

I run them in my Ravenwing List as a bodyguard for my Praetor

4 Guys 1 Banner Bearer

3 Power Fists 2 Power Swords

Combat Shields Across the Board

Since its ravenwing they have to take Jetbikes like my Praetor

Acid Heavy Bolters ( Poison 2+ roll for ap every time you fire) are major motivators for this

Though its like a 400 point squad so , its pricy and a juicy target for stuff like typhons XD

Don't forget to give them a few combi-stasis launchers msn-wink.gif

I think the greatest thing about them is that Primarchs can take Terminator Command Squads, regardless of the armour they wear. They are such good value compared to regular Command Squads:

5 Space Marine Chosen: Standard Bearer (power weapon; combat shield); 4 Space Marine Chosen; 4 × power weapon; 4 × combat shield 180

5 Chosen Terminators: Terminator Standard Bearer (combi-bolter; power weapon); 4 Chosen Terminators; Terminator armour (Tartaros); 4 × combi-bolter; 4 × power weapon 180

At a baseline level, they're both the same price. While you gain the Bulky special rule, lose access to bikes/jetbikes/jump packs, and lose an attack for having 2 weapons (unless you take lightning claws), you do get:

- combi-bolters instead of bolters,

- a 5++ vs. ranged attacks,

- the Relentless special rule,

- access to cheap volkite chargers,

- access to combi-weapons & heavy weapons,

- the ability to upgrade to Cataphractii for a 4++,

- access to a Land Raider Phobos as a Dedicated Transport.

- access to Legion specific Terminator wargear (Dragonscale storm shields, Iliastus assault cannons, teleport transponders, etc).

Now, let's look at them compared to Legion Terminators:

5 Terminators: Terminator Sergeant (combi-bolter; power weapon); 4 Terminators; Terminator armour (Tartaros); 4 × combi-bolter; 4 × power weapon 175

5 Chosen Terminators: Terminator Standard Bearer (combi-bolter; power weapon); 4 Chosen Terminators; Terminator armour (Tartaros); 4 × combi-bolter; 4 × power weapon 180

They are 5 points more, you lose Implacable Advance, you're limited to 5 models, and you can't take a Spartan or Dreadclaw, but you gain:

- a Legion Standard granting a 6" Fearless bubble,

- an extra wound on the Standard Bearer,

- WS5 across the board,

- the Chosen Warriors special rule.

If you can work within the parameters of the restrictions (and often you will), then they are brilliant.

I was thinking of running a command squad for night lords, but going with jump packs and an apothecary (go with Praetor). Problem is cost, then again they are better than running 5 raptors (in terms of bodyguard unit). Both have WS5, but raptors only have additional attacks on the charge and the ability to get more guys and special weapons. While the command squad has bolters (for some range), fearless bubble, artificer armour, more base attacks, arty armour and a guy with 2 wounds. Command squad is 30 points more than raptors if all are equip with power weapons (5 guys each).

Terminator Command Squads compare very favorably to regular terminator squads, but I still like the cheaper artificer squad if only for letting you get a cheap apothecary and add a Primarch and still fit in a dreadclaw.

The cost is particularly a factor if you're not running Primarch's Chosen, since their cost comes out of your LoW allowance.

I've tooled my command squad for looks more than anything but have had great fun with praetor in tartaros with 4 man tartaros squad all with chain fists riding in a dreadclaw. They rather enjoy eating Spartans which I regularly face 1-3 per game depending on points.

Looking to start a aa equipped squad soon but prob going more points efficient and optimal for that. Like many have said I really like the idea if jetbikes but cost and points just don't add up for me Co paired to other options.

Again, go cheap and run them on foot with a cheap legion apothecary and a Primarch.  An affordable Primarch death star! Even if you just spend them in challenges so your Primarch can rack up the kill count on regular mooks to win overall combat, should be worth it.  Barebones shields and sabers is 155 points.

Archived