8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

The heavy flamers are 17 each. And you are right, the Hurricane IC is pretty appealing now that you don't lose an attack for not having two CCW's only the re-rolls of 1's. 

Also doing that you don't lose the better of the two weapons. 

Speaking of I think that the chainfist is actually better than the hammer. You lose a damage but don't have to take the -1 to hit. Thoughts?

I can see myself using lots of Apothacaries and Techmarines! Nice to see that we can take Whirlwinds again, mine needs some considerable dusting off...

Can they be taken standalone? I have a command squad but it's kitted out as the Grimaldus team in Helsreach and never actually used them.

Sorry for the silly questions but I'm not able to find those elusive scans, just bits here and there.

Edit: Talking about Apothecaries.

Yes, command squads as they were are no longer a thing. You can take company veterans but the champion and apothecary are now separate individual characters with extra wounds.  However certain squads like honor guard and I think company vets can tank wounds for characters

4+ roll Frag assault launchers cause d3 mortal wounds in cc.EVEN OUR TANK IS A GOD AT CC.

venerable dreadnoughts have ws bs 2 BUT they ignore damage on a 6

ironclads rerolls 1's to hit when dual wielding ccw.

Whoa this is sort of meta, but your third picture in your signature, with the blue background, is my painting. I didn't expect to see it in this context but I'm honored.

Been a long time since I've posted but I think the Crusader Squad just became even better when compared to other SM troops options.

With the free Sword Brother upgrade you can take a Grav Cannon, Plasma Gun, and Combi-Plasma in a 5-man squad. That's a pretty awesome unit for the points. Take three to fill out your troop needs for detachment requirements and then whichever elite or fast attack units you prefer for close combat. With the small price differences and lack of bonuses for troops, the only reason not to use the elites is if you want CC squads of 10+.

Just tried to put together a list, and holy crap the new point values pile up fast. Speaking of, I couldn't find point values for Cenobytes.

Ironclad point increase in particular is brutal, especially with the Pod transport option removed. :(

I've got the current troublesome mindset of "I spent a hundred hours painting these Pods and god dammit I'm gonna use them!" Which ends up sacrificing my long held adoration for Tide. My priorities are all jumbled! wacko.png

Are Vindis better this time around? Specifically, 7th edition cover rules were crippling.

Just tried to put together a list, and holy crap the new point values pile up fast. Speaking of, I couldn't find point values for Cenobytes.

Ironclad point increase in particular is brutal, especially with the Pod transport option removed. sad.png

I've got the current troublesome mindset of "I spent a hundred hours painting these Pods and god dammit I'm gonna use them!" Which ends up sacrificing my long held adoration for Tide. My priorities are all jumbled! wacko.png

Are Vindis better this time around? Specifically, 7th edition cover rules were crippling.

For that reason I believe that 2500 may become the new point level among people. Though that is just wild speculation at this point.

I do think that the beloved vindicator is much better considering it can no longer have its gun fall off or be stun locked into oblivion. Considering that the AP of the demolisher cannon isn't completely ignored once someone is in cover, I consider it a large improvement.

So I was really excited to bring out my three land raiders but I'm not sure if it might just be better to go black tide at the moment. Thoughts?

Yesterday i had my first match. It was awsome.

I played with

1 EC

1 Chaplain in Terminatorarm.

7 Assault-Terminators ( in LRC)

14 Crusaders with 2 powerfists ( in LRC)

10 Crusaders with 1 powerfist in Rhino

10 tactical Marines in Rhino

8 Assaultsauad with powerfist and 2 plasmapistol

against

1 Chaosgeneral in Terminatorarm.

1 Belakor

1 Deamonprince

10 Terminators

2 Cultists

10 Chaos Spase Marines

2x 6 Havocs with (dont know the name - S7 Ap-1 heavy2 weapon

1x 5 Havocs with Lasercanon

1 Hellbrute ( is that the right name for the dragon who fly)

It was a massacre and he was nearly wiped out. One Crusadersquad killed the deamonprince and the 10 C:SpaceM.

My EC survived^^ - after he killed the Chaoslord.

without Chaptertactics... if we get some, we will rule the battlefieldmsn-wink.gif

It was like 40k should be. But honestly, we did a lot of mistakes in the game^^

Ironclad point increase in particular is brutal, especially with the Pod transport option removed. sad.png

My local red shirt, with the index in hand, told me dreads can take pods. Is this something specific to ironclads ?

So unless I'm reading the entry wrong, a TH has the same cost as a fist, so why take a fist? Although I dunno if an SB counts as a character, which would raise the price a touch.

Not everyone has access to TH? the SB isn't a character because he's part of the squad. Characters will have that keyword in their entry

Guys, looking at the FW Index contents, how many of you will be getting a Chaplain Dreadnought? Seems pretty BT themed to me!

I'm hoping he's a character like the BA Libby Dreads or Bjorn, so he can't be targeted whilst he makes his advance :-)

So unless I'm reading the entry wrong, a TH has the same cost as a fist, so why take a fist? Although I dunno if an SB counts as a character, which would raise the price a touch.

Not everyone has access to TH? the SB isn't a character because he's part of the squad. Characters will have that keyword in their entry

While true, everyone who has to Sergent Wargear save for the Vanguard Vet Sarge can take a Thunder Hammer, so it can go in most squads. To be honest it's better on a Sarge equiv than a Power Fist is on an initiate just because of the difference in attack stats. Unless you expect Grimaldus'es bubble of extra attacks to generate more power fist throws, the hidden power weapon option just isn't good as giving that Initiate a Heavy Weapon like a Multi-Melta or Heavy Bolter.

While true, everyone who has to Sergent Wargear save for the Vanguard Vet Sarge can take a Thunder Hammer, so it can go in most squads. To be honest it's better on a Sarge equiv than a Power Fist is on an initiate just because of the difference in attack stats. Unless you expect Grimaldus'es bubble of extra attacks to generate more power fist throws, the hidden power weapon option just isn't good as giving that Initiate a Heavy Weapon like a Multi-Melta or Heavy Bolter.

Would you still be able to Assault after firing the Heavy Bolter or the Multimelta?

If it's only a few points in, then an extra AP-3 surely wouldn't hurt...

I just checked both Heavy Weapons and the Charge rules and there is nothing that keeps heavies from charging.

So yeah, you can shoot heavies and charge. Only charge restrictions are for advancing or falling back (unless your bespoked otherwise).

Ok got to see the leakage...but no special rules nor unit rules like transports or vehicles.

-The detachments have dedicated transports in them and i don't see limitations anywhere, in the unit stats doesn't say anymore what it can and can't take as DT, so  what makes a DT?

-If the LRC have to take up a HS slot I just take a Spearhead Detachment and that's sorted right?

-Stuff it's expensive but take the LRC, It's now durable and the weapons are that much better, didn't really care for the Hurricane Bolter before but now seems  decent. So it's maybe worth the points if i can save on shooty stuff to go around it?

-I don't get the excitement about the Rhino, I still need to disembark before it moves which means charge on turn 2, while the LRC can make it on turn 1. And most  of my victories were because of in your face charge turn one.

-We get two attacks with the chainsword but no longer the extra one for two CC weapons nor for the charge right?

Archived