Starting up a 30k Ultramarines force. Local scene doesn't appear to be ultra competitive or WAAC, so I've just built a list of models I want to paint.

Roboute Guilliman
Primus Medicae in Cataphractii armour
10 Cyclone Fulmentarii with some power fists/axes/mauls/swords
10 Boarding Marines with Power Swords
10 Boarding Marines with Power Swords
2 Laser Destroyer Rapiers
2 Laser Destroyer Rapiers

Using MkIII Marines for the boarding guys. I realise I'm not really making best use of the UM rules but I think this'll look very cool on the table.

Posting mostly just to check its a legal force? Still new to Age of Darkness rules so just a little hesitant.

At the moment it's not legal, you can either use Guilliman as your lord of war choice, in which case you need to add a compulsory HQ choice (primus medicae can't be your compulsory HQ), or you could use the primarch's chosen rite of war, but you need to use legion terminators/veteran tactical squads as your compulsory troops (i.e. 2 squads)

TLDR; You need a compulsory HQ choice or 2 units from either legion terminators or veteran tactical marines.

Good luck!

At the moment it's not legal, you can either use Guilliman as your lord of war choice, in which case you need to add a compulsory HQ choice (primus medicae can't be your compulsory HQ), or you could use the primarch's chosen rite of war, but you need to use legion terminators/veteran tactical squads as your compulsory troops (i.e. 2 squads)

TLDR; You need a compulsory HQ choice or 2 units from either legion terminators or veteran tactical marines.

Good luck!

Thanks Varyn. I must have missed the box saying the Primus Medicae couldn't be a compulsory HQ choice. (Still can't see it in my book to be honest was there an update I'm missing?)

That being the case I may drop the Medicae and 2 rapiers for a Master of Signal (can he be compulsory HQ?) And a third troop choice so I can use the Logos ROW?

Good luck!

Thanks Varyn. I must have missed the box saying the Primus Medicae couldn't be a compulsory HQ choice. (Still can't see it in my book to be honest was there an update I'm missing?)

That being the case I may drop the Medicae and 2 rapiers for a Master of Signal (can he be compulsory HQ?) And a third troop choice so I can use the Logos ROW?

Got it now, my book is out of date. I see the Medicae (and master of signal) have the Legion Support Officer rule. Bah, now to try again.

If you want to make the list legal with minimal changes, then I'd just take a consul (chaplain is a good unit buffer) and maybe some suzerain to accompany guilliman, you could keep the primus medicae and join them all in a big unit, that's a pretty fluffy choice.

Archived