Alternative Kataphrons

Arvendragon

That sounds awesome, CommodusXIII.  Maybe with a blend of the upcoming Karadron minis/bits?

Interesting ideas. The harpoon guns could stand in for Torsion cannons. Instead of ripping things to bits you make a giant shishkebab instead. :)

• 2 years later...

Hi all

Sorry for resurrecting a topic so old, but I need to know ... are those MAGNIFICENT spider legs for the Kataphron availabe somewhere?

I've stumbled into this topic only yesterday, while looking for some converison ideas, and I have to say that they are truly amazing ... the idea of a swarm of kataphron moving around with their bigger brother Onager is amazing, and too good to let it by.

Also they share the rule of be able to avance only by D3 and does not suffer the penalty for moving and shooting ...

P.S: I've tried a search on this forum and on the net ... but no joy ...

Ambots would fit for size, but they lack a big gun.

I've seen this done locally, typically by gluing spare bits to a shoulder.  It's a cool idea but a very expensive conversion, to say the least!

I'm thinking the way to stretch the cost of Ambots as Kataphron is to buy 3 boxes of Ambots for six total, in two squads of 3 and two boxes of Kataphons for 6 total. Then use the Kataphron bodies as other models in your army. In 40k the options would be more limited, but for 30k I am considering making myrmidon's with them on tank treads, as if they've converted themselves into living tanks. However that does fly in the face of my 'everything walks' intention, so they might end up being discount Auxilia Quad-Mortars. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Ambots do have grav/melta guns built in, don't they? It's not quite a torsion cannon - and you probably wouldn't want to use the torsion cannon anyway (single shot on low BS) - but it's a credible count-as.

:cuss, though - actual rules for the Ambot would do the trick.

A box of 2 bots is £25 I think. So six ambots costs the same as six kataphrons. I just bit the bullet and bought the kataphrons -sigh-

It's not so bad; the Adeptus Mechanicus kits are so full of extras you can always get both options out of the same kit with a few extras. These are my Destroyer(the one on the left), made with the extra bits from the Breacher with torsion cannon (on the right).

n57ikMt.jpg

More pictures:

Hidden Content

RsTDKLy.jpg

aQTWANb.jpg

5xam23F.jpg

The whole family:

qC2jJcg.jpg

They were made with leftover kataphron destroyer bits, space marine tank turrets, an sm shoulder pad with the mechanicus symbol on it, part of the old imperial dozer blade base, clipper lighter central columns, marine rags, heavy bolter ammo, purestrain genestealer scything talons (blue becaue they were leftover from Lost Patrol), milliput dice cubes, paperclips, wire, milliput, an inline switch button, 60mm round bases, half an auspex and marine knives.

• 7 months later...

Cool idea. If you don't mind, post up pics when you get it, especially if you're using it for conversion.

Will do, I have to mod the weapon at least. If this works I'm going to order many more once I get the funds together.