Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Thank you for the thoughtful input. Many of the pitfall delineated by you had crossed my mind and over the week or two I dealt with each as I strove to duplicate the FW artists efforts. They are truly of an order of magnitude or more beyond my own feeble abilities. Suffice it to say I stand on the shoulders of giants. 

It Worked!

nPBdZAjl.jpg

JRhAy7Pl.jpg

f4s5dUbl.jpg

Gorgeous. Watching you work really does give me the itch to start something biiig, but for now I'll just live vicariously through your project/s and make many mental notes for future consideration. Thanks as always for documenting the process.

Finished!

Two weeks in the making but the coils are finally moulded. All the dire predictions were circumvented 

6F25N1Cl.jpg

and judging by the on screen scale my estimate of 1/8 inch (3,2 MM ) coil rods was pretty accurate afterall. 

k03OmcZl.jpg

The biggest problem is I overestimated the size of the gun. The onscreen gun is 18 inches (46 CM ) overall

QF2zA9jl.jpg

Whereas my coils could work on a gun upward of 20 inches but I made the coil extra long to allow for selvage. BTW Nature does that on the DNA molecule and is the reason we age.

sA7NpvVl.jpg

Suffice it to say I am pleased with the outcome. :D

Dear Blackadder, do you have instagram? It would be easier to follow your progress if you do. The Emperor Protects.

You're wrong. Also pretty obnoxious posting that on this forum. 

THIS IS BOLTER&CHAINSWORD *insert 300 gif* 

Excellent progress, Blackadder!

Dear Blackadder, do you have instagram? It would be easier to follow your progress if you do. The Emperor Protects.

THIS IS BOLTER&CHAINSWORD! 

giphy.gif

Fixed that for you. :smile.:

And yes, outstanding work as usual Blackadder!

Cheers,

GM

Its a legitimate question,if you are not following a lot of great artists on instagram that are not on forums you are missing out. My opinion of what is easier for me to use is my own and can not be wrong. BnC is great forum but its not end all be all of the internet. I think you are the one who is being obnoxious by acting the way you do and you are not showing the good side of this great community by being elitist. However, this is not the place to discuss this and I wont be derailing the thread any further than you did. If you want to argue with me please PM me you "opinion".

Edited by Stormxlr

I post on about 10 different forums where I have complete building logs, plus Facebook and Deviantart where I post updates and try to respond to questions as they come up. This keeps me rather busy enough plus Instagram seems to be a smartphone app.

I do not have a Smartphone but I'll see what I can do.

I've been following the progress in this thread even before I registered on the B&C.

Except for that one GW open day diorama, It's the biggest and most ambitious project I know of.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

I post on about 10 different forums where I have complete building logs, plus Facebook and Deviantart where I post updates and try to respond to questions as they come up. This keeps me rather busy enough plus Instagram seems to be a smartphone app.

Could you share a link to your Deviant art with us?

Its a legitimate question,if you are not following a lot of great artists on instagram that are not on forums you are missing out. My opinion of what is easier for me to use is my own and can not be wrong. BnC is great forum but its not end all be all of the internet. I think you are the one who is being obnoxious by acting the way you do and you are not showing the good side of this great community by being elitist. However, this is not the place to discuss this and I wont be derailing the thread any further than you did. If you want to argue with me please PM me you "opinion".

I chose not to PM you, sorry. I understand your requests for other media. I thought about it and I shouldn't have said 'obnoxious' but 'a bit on the nose' and perhaps I should have put a ;) in my comment. At the same time, perhaps you should have wrote 'it would be easier for me to follow your progress [on instagram]. The way you wrote it, you generalized for everyone and so a bit like this forum wasn't good enough. There's a lot of people putting time, effort, and money in this forum, so that wouldn't have been fair and I decided to write what I wrote. In hindsight, I should have been clearer about my tongue in cheeckiness. :tu:

Could you share a link to your Deviant art with us?

I can't see why not unless it is contrary to B&C rules:

https://www.deviantart.com/blackadderz

After all anyone stumbling about on DA can view my artwork so why not my B&C patrons.

Let me know what you think. 

Warning: Some mature content.

Edited by Blackadder

Step 2

I'd like to take credit for foresight when I manufactured these coils but it was pure luck that I made them oversized. As it is I made the depth about a half inch too long but it did give me a smoother curve to the coil segments when glued and clamped where they would have been too hard to glue successfully had they been manufactured to a precise size.

(I think that statement makes sense)

NLriT3cl.jpg

In the image above we see the foreground segments cut down albeit crudely to the proper depth and the back ground segments still to be cut.

The image below shows both top and bottom segments cut down and ready to be sanded.

7qrUAAfl.jpg

SunFury Channel Details:

The Channels between the coils are first on the agenda today now that I need to replicate the detail.

I reassembled the Imperator to check if the 'SunFury' (Doesn't that sound like an old Plymouth with a roof hatch?) Blaster is of the proper size befitting a weapon of this calibre compared to a Titan of this stature. and it seems like it's a Goldilocks fit. I'll have to whip up a temporary hanger to take a picture.

Meanwhile there are some linear coils in the 12 and 6 o'clock position on the coils that I have to address first 

Sj602ZOl.jpg

An old spool of 0.062 60/40 resin solder supplied the coils and the core is 1/8th inch rod

BFM2FEml.jpg

They nestled in quite well so now onto the 9 and 3 o'clock channel detail.

jbGqnzBl.jpg

Naked Frenzy:

When I get in one of these "Everything's Coming Up Roses" moods I lose track of I'm supposed to be documenting the work process.

yJ9c5yel.jpg

The image above shows the naked channel with the beginnings of the detail and both of the channel filling detail basic runners completed.

tIBCwd7l.jpg

And this next shot with the basic runner in place.

Well it's not all that big of a deal but it does show how I plan to work around replicating the umpteen castings that constitutes the equivalent FW masterpiece.

Ha! He said, "Naked."

A Week's Worth Of Labor:

At this rate I'm wondering if my estimate of another year in the making is a trifle optimistic.

Having spent nearly 3 years on my Knight conversion the fact you could get this done in less than a decade (considering the level of detail you go to) leaves me very jealous and two years would seem like a solid goal.

Such brilliant work and the plasma gun if coming along brilliantly I'm sure it'll soon fall into place as the areas of detail finish and be finished before you know it ready to move onto the other arm.