Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Sorry if this has been covered, but will the 16 page background book be part of the general release later? I want the books from the LE, but not all the additional bling.

Unlikely. There've been numerous such background pieces and short stories included with past LE. I don't think any of them have ever been released.

Mine arrived today.  It's gorgeous, as expected.

Wait what? Where on Earth are you that you got it basically four days early? :lol:

Why is that spear using an elder psyweapon?

Because using a stormcast trident might have been too on the nose?

More than likely :lol: I mean, I'm going to be using parts from the Dark Elf Dreadspears, as I have all 10 of those left over.

And tomorrow we're getting the how to paint. Now, who wants to bet it'll basically be the exact same as Rathamanti's colour-scheme? :laugh.:

I don’t think so, what with the heretical Army Painter paint :biggrin.:

'Tis why I said "basically". Obviously they'll replace the Army Painter with the GW Equivalent (Caledor Sky). The real question is what the primer will be.

Mine arrived today. It's gorgeous, as expected.

Wait what? Where on Earth are you that you got it basically four days early? :lol:

Why is that spear using an elder psyweapon?

Because using a stormcast trident might have been too on the nose?
More than likely :lol: I mean, I'm going to be using parts from the Dark Elf Dreadspears, as I have all 10 of those left over.

And tomorrow we're getting the how to paint. Now, who wants to bet it'll basically be the exact same as Rathamanti's colour-scheme? :laugh.:

I don’t think so, what with the heretical Army Painter paint :biggrin.:
'Tis why I said "basically". Obviously they'll replace the Army Painter with the GW Equivalent (Caledor Sky). The real question is what the primer will be.

That would be cool; a confirmation that I at least got one good idea in life! Or maybe rather, confirmation that I am such a slave of the machine, that even the “creative” side of my hobby follows a GW system...

Sorry if this has been covered, but will the 16 page background book be part of the general release later? I want the books from the LE, but not all the additional bling.

I would be more than a little annoyed if it was. I’m not much of a gamer anymore so the transfers will likely end up on eBay. The extra book is the only thing allowing me to justify my weakness in buying the thing.

Got mine this morning. Much nicer than I thought. I had a sinking feeling after I ordered it that it would be a disappointment. In fact I’m delighted I did.

The blank book in the warmaster was so disappointing. The background bookbin this really is a fantastic little thing. Even the design of the box is better than the warmaster. This one will sit nicely on a shelf beside others. Lovely!

That would be cool; a confirmation that I at least got one good idea in life! Or maybe rather, confirmation that I am such a slave of the machine, that even the “creative” side of my hobby follows a GW system...

Turns out they went with mech grey -> hoeth blue -> recess drakenhof nightshade -> fenrisian grey. It looks much worse than yours.

Edited by FirstSonofHorus

Yeah. I'd rather go with your method Rathamanti. Even if I don't get the Army Painter spray (though the owner of my FLGS can get it, idk when it'll come in), I'll probably go your method, just with Grey/Black Primer and replacing the army painter Crystal Blue with it's GW equivalent, Caledor Sky.

Because the one GW did doesn't look as good.

Collected the LE book today. Very impressed with the set. The Index Astartes booklet has several pages of over-layed cleared talcs that flip back to show the different layers of MK X armour. The purity seal bookmark is a little gem.

Really enjoyed the book. At first I was worried that ADB's use of a mortal PoV character might be played out but I was wrong. The helots (like thrall a or serfs) of the Mentor Legion feel like intelligence analysts or drone operators supporting the front line rather than dumbstruck vassals that need saving every five minutes. Amongst the background of new Primaris heroes and villains from the Great Rift, the mortals are portrayed in a way that frames the new Dark Imperium without reducing regular humans to redundancy.

The other side of the veil does seem bleak, maybe like the Britain of the Blitz. It feels cut off. It feels different from the Imperium of 999 M41. The Spears feel like different Space Marines. Not in a 'my special chapter' way but they seem like they have grown up and apart from the usual 2D mindless portrayals of loyalist chapters. This is nicely contrasted against the straight man of the Mentor Legion but even Amadeus comes off as a more interesting character than your regular 'lawful stupid' Codex Compliant Chum.

The book nicely swept up the advent of Primaris Spears without getting botton-holed by it. There was never a point where new units or toys were shoe-horned in just to showcase new models. Just the right touch of deftness even with...

The Calgarian Rites. Very nicely played.

I thought I was clever by pinging early that...

The Pure's original identity.

But quickly had the rug pulled out from under me by...

The assassin!

Really good read. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing ADB return to the Heresy or Khayon, I'd happily read another few books in this setting.

Edited by Forward Assist

So.... for those who have gotten the book (grumble, grumble, hasn't showed up yet for me), was there anything mentioned about the Knight House of Raukama? Specifically their colours?

It could come from Bellona. Nothing in the novel contradicts that possibility. It's more likely to be from Raukama, the Knight World in Elara's Veil. I've not mentioned their colours in the book yet. It could also be in the Spears' colours if you want, reflecting them campaigning at the Spears' side a lot. Nothing will directly contradict that. It's worth mentioning that any Knights may also have the symbol of the Exodus Armada on them, if you want.

If not: Paging A D-B, potential assistance in their colour-scheme? :wink:

Asking because I'm looking into ideas for support for a small Primaris force of Emperor's Spears, and big stompy robots are always fun :lol:

I've been steadily reading through my LE, only just gotten into part 2 of it and the closest thing is that the Admec of Bellona have a black and red scheme. No mention of Raukama as of yet though.

On another note though the book has been great so far. The wee bits of information that come up really enrich the setting and the characters have been well done too. My personal favourite is Bréac and I've already started working on a conversion for him.

Was it already mentioned when the normal version would be released?

This seems to become a very good source for Primaris & old Marines interactions, integration, etc. :D

Really hyped for it.

Uh, this is going to be a long wait...

If someone could spoil / pm some details on the Mentors and the Pure modeling wise, I'd be happy man. I still have some Primaris and undivided CSM lying around and would love to killteam them up in this...

And since I am in sleep deprivation induced hype anyway...there seems to be quite a few people building Spears already....

That is sure to be growing once the regular edition drops...

maybe we could set up something like the Painting Turf War in the Necromunda subforum for people painting forces from the Veil?

Was it already mentioned when the normal version would be released?

This seems to become a very good source for Primaris & old Marines interactions, integration, etc. :biggrin.:

Really hyped for it.

6 months after this edition.

Welp, that kinda killed my hype. Still getting it, but 6 months is way too long.

Ran

I'm away from my copy but the Mentor Legion officer detaches himself from the Spears at one point to co-ordinate IG forces. His helots (serfs) provide intelligence to both him and the IG by pushing out servo-skulls from a Damocles rhino. The Chapter's quality of wargear seems to be if not streets ahead of others is at least better understood and used to provide this advantage.

I'm not sure out much of the Mentor Legion's culture can be extrapolated from just one character. He's quite cold and restrained.

I'm away from my copy but the Mentor Legion officer detaches himself from the Spears at one point to co-ordinate IG forces. His helots (serfs) provide intelligence to both him and the IG by pushing out servo-skulls from a Damocles rhino. The Chapter's quality of wargear seems to be if not streets ahead of others is at least better understood and used to provide this advantage.

I'm not sure out much of the Mentor Legion's culture can be extrapolated from just one character. He's quite cold and restrained.

I think this would just be a case of them actually using tactics (not having read it). It's like his night lords, too. You actually see them using their thermal visions and such.

What you described is how they should almost always be described lol.

Having read through the book now, I've got to say it's been an absolute joy to read, going through all the twists and turns. ADB has given the Emperors Spears a great Culture and filled them with interesting quirks.

I won't spoil the story, it really is something you need to read through yourself. Forward Assist is fight in what he says and as for the Culture of the chapter you don't see a great deal if at all. Amadeus (forgive me if I spelt that wrong) is a very by-the-books kind of person and any personal questions are brushed away though they barely come up as well. Going off of this, the chapter seems very based on the Codex Astartes. Hopefully that is some help for any Mentor players out there.

Still waiting on mine.... Anyone else in the United States order it? Have you gotten any other notifications regarding it? I've only gotten the "order placed & payment processed" and "order is fully shipped", but haven't gotten any notifications about it being sent to a shipping company yet.