Tarantula Tactica

WindstormSCR

An often underappreciated entry in the legion arsenal, I've had a few of these things for quite some time, and after looking at them in the box wondered if there was any hidden use cases for them that might be worth considering.

At least in my own case I have been finding some success running lascannon variants with Raven Guard in both decapitation strike and recon company Rite of War to provide some extra anti-tank punch. I have a Heavy Flamer 3rd party version that has seen use in zone mortalis fights but has never actually been encountered in any of them, so I can't speak to its efficacy there.

the problem is the targeting priority. You really want it firing at X unit but it shoots at Y unit as closer. I get that they are cheap and go in a slot not many times gets filled up, but when you compare to las rapier teams, the tarantula falls short. The only real use I can see is with hyperios missiles for Anti-air, but most people will take a deredo which again, does the same job but better. I love the models, but they are are a 'just for fun' unit.

Mechanicum Tarantulas are the best, as long as you have a Battlesmith nearby (Anima Override allows them to ignore the Firing Modes special rule). Take 3 with quad guns and your anti-air is covered.

Otherwise, I would leave them at home.

Mechanicum Tarantulas are the best, as long as you have a Battlesmith nearby (Anima Override allows them to ignore the Firing Modes special rule). Take 3 with quad guns and your anti-air is covered.

Otherwise, I would leave them at home.

Anima Override ignores only the "firing modes", not the "targeting priority", so they still shoot at the closest target.

But i still love the tarantulas, especially with the photon thrusters, cheap AP2 that is effective against infantry and vehicles and can blind their targets :D

Even in Mechanicum though, they're awkward. I have no idea why they are in Fast Attack, they're competing with a lot of strong choices.

Should be an Elites choice, like Legion Quad Mortars :^) 

I think they're fine for scenarios where an enemy is trying to break through a defensive line, or invade a Mechanicum facility. But as a firepower base they're a bit underwhelming. 

Archived