Slaughter at Giant's Coffin

kamedake88

I'm not one to post often on these forums or review books I've read for that matter so I am a little lost as to where to begin. Having put the book down about an hour previous to writing this I still have a sour taste in my mouth. The novel was bad with a capital B and bland to the point of almost being insulting especially for being a $15 buy. The story is a by the numbers "Last Stand" cliche with pages full of blocks of wood with hard to pronounce names standing in for actual characters. Clocking in at just over 300 pages on my Ipad the story felt really rushed with little room for any character to actually develop. I could go on but we are all familiar with failings of other D grade works put out by Black Library.It's a shame really because I enjoy Goulding's other works.

I'll sum it up with this: The gamespot review for the game Destiny had a line about you exploring a world where all the interesting stories had already happened and the same goes for this book. The Scythes deserved better.

To each their own, naturally. I have been interested in the Scythes of the Emperor since 2nd edition, when I read about the Last Stand on Miral, and read Orphans of the Kraken in one of the Space Marines omnibusii. If it is a poorly written as you claim it to be, that would be a pity.

Would you be inclined to write a more indepth review of the novel?

I'd be very interested in hearing more about it. I haven't read a lot of Goulding's work (I think this is his first full length novel for BL), but the Scythes have always interested me, and Space Marines making a tragic last stand sounds like a nice change of pace from their usual role as near-invincible heroes.

I, personally, enjoyed it very much - Enough that I immediately purchased all the other Scythes shorts available.

My only complaint is that there's a mystery that goes unanswered, to leave it vague.

Interesting. According to Lexicanum (by way of Amazon) BL is putting out an anthology (omnibus?) that bundles together a number of the Scythes' short stories with Slaughter at Giant's Coffin in August. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for it.

To each their own, naturally. I have been interested in the Scythes of the Emperor since 2nd edition, when I read about the Last Stand on Miral, and read Orphans of the Kraken in one of the Space Marines omnibusii. If it is a poorly written as you claim it to be, that would be a pity.

He is almost write - totally agree with 'I'll sum it up with this: The gamespot review for the game Destiny had a line about you exploring a world where all the interesting stories had already happened and the same goes for this book. The Scythes deserved better.'

Plus I will add - SM are different from humans, especially with emotions range. So don't get me wrong - then I will say that 'these' SM are the most HUMAN SM ever written. Fething Space Marine afraid of a land shark? WHAT? Veteran of dozens campaigns crying out loud?

golly gee I JUST READ. teehee.gif

He is almost write - totally agree with 'I'll sum it up with this: The gamespot review for the game Destiny had a line about you exploring a world where all the interesting stories had already happened and the same goes for this book. The Scythes deserved better.'

Plus I will add - SM are different from humans, especially with emotions range. So don't get me wrong - then I will say that 'these' SM are the most HUMAN SM ever written. Fething Space Marine afraid of a land shark? WHAT? Veteran of dozens campaigns crying out loud?

censored.gif I JUST READ. teehee.gif

So you are saying we should pass picking up?unsure.png

med_gallery_70257_8406_325691.jpg

LOL.

Apparently it's awful.

Well sometimes it is truly hard not to roll eyes with 'aaaaa golly gee I just read' 1) Space marines captain (long listed captain with dozens of years of experience in any warzone available behind him) raging in his room. Crying, screaming , beating the servitors - waaaaaaaahhaaatttt? huh.png 2) Space Marine Chapter Master totally absent logic in any of his actions???? down.gif 3) WE fought tyranids before - but never knew they have submerged and burrowing creatures? ermm.gif 4) Space Marines who after months in one place (SCOUT REGIMENT WHO WAS IN BASTION FOR YEARS - HAVEN'T CHECKED THE CAVES UNDER THE KEEP?) - does not made the reconnaissance? wacko.png 5) Space marines fleet who doesn't know the chances against big detachment of HIVE ships? 6) Battlebarge planning to charge headon into 4 Hive ships? WHAT? huh.png

I have nothing against Laurie - but these? censored.gif

God damn even Straken killed a land shark with his teeth!

And he didn't bitch about losing one arm because he had a spare second one.

As a SM bitched about losing legs lol. As I told before - Scythes here is not SM - but like astra militarum guardsmen, lol

LOL.

Apparently it's awful.

Well sometimes it is truly hard not to roll eyes with 'aaaaa censored.gif I just read' 1) Space marines captain (long listed captain with dozens of years of experience in any warzone available behind him) raging in his room. Crying, screaming , beating the servitors - waaaaaaaahhaaatttt? huh.png 2) Space Marine Chapter Master totally absent logic in any of his actions???? down.gif 3) WE fought tyranids before - but never knew they have submerged and burrowing creatures? ermm.gif 4) Space Marines who after months in one place (SCOUT REGIMENT WHO WAS IN BASTION FOR YEARS - HAVEN'T CHECKED THE CAVES UNDER THE KEEP?) - does not made the reconnaissance? wacko.png 5) Space marines fleet who doesn't know the chances against big detachment of HIVE ships? 6) Battlebarge planning to charge headon into 4 Hive ships? WHAT? huh.png

I have nothing against Laurie - but these? censored.gif

God damn even Straken killed a land shark with his teeth!

And he didn't bitch about losing one arm because he had a spare second one.

As a SM bitched about losing legs lol. As I told before - Scythes here is not SM - but like astra militarum guardsmen, lol

is it possible that there's some narrative context for why those things you list happen other than just "bad writing"? anyone else read this yet?

I'm quite interested in it as well, but I'll likely wait til the Scythes of the Emperor paperback releases later in the year. Getting all the stories in one volume is just too good value to pass up on it or jump the gun.

I fully expect there to be good reasons for the Marines acting the way they do. Seeing how discussions like these quickly fall to hyperbole and a stubborn disregard for context, I'll be happy to read it myself. Judging solely by Laurie's other stories, this simply cannot be as dreadful as it is made out to be here, and certainly not the worst in BL's catalogue. That's just silly talk.

Track of Words has a brief but insightful and positive review of this up and very much indicates that you will get more from this having digested all of the accompanying short stories... I enjoy Gouldings work, especially the audio Mortarion's Heart and with a new 75 min audio drama about the Scythes on it's way which may also tie into this I'm looking forward to getting the paperback later this year!

On a separate note this is a SM Chapter i have no real background info on, other than they get smashed hard in 40k... i just finished up my second listen through of HH 34: Pharos yesterday and couldn't help but notice a moment right at the end where RG is honoring the fallen and placing a mark of honour onto the armor of all those warriors who will set forth from Sotha forever more. The mark was that of a Scyth intigrated with the Ultima. Is this the beginnings of what will become the Chapter of the Scythes of the Emperor?

^^"

It waa recently released.

It was about a company of the UM which was stationed on Sotha abd about what happened to them during the Scouring.

Title was just a simple name...I believe.

Check this subforum. The appropiate thread is not that old.

I'm quite interested in it as well, but I'll likely wait til the Scythes of the Emperor paperback releases later in the year. Getting all the stories in one volume is just too good value to pass up on it or jump the gun.

I fully expect there to be good reasons for the Marines acting the way they do. Seeing how discussions like these quickly fall to hyperbole and a stubborn disregard for context, I'll be happy to read it myself. Judging solely by Laurie's other stories, this simply cannot be as dreadful as it is made out to be here, and certainly not the worst in BL's catalogue. That's just silly talk.

Absolutely preposterous - cause you want to find some good qualities where there are none. You fully expect there to be good reasons for the marines acting the way they do - sureeeeee.... I already see you trying to find them and failing after all the 252 pages teehee.gif

I live the Scythes to much to ignore it. But I'm going to wait for the collection. I'm sure a lot of the criticism is knee-jerk hyperbole. Anyone care to give a in depth review?

In case of this book - nope.

In general the main problem is not with the 'narrative' as it is (through it's a poor attempt of last stand with spies shenangians - which absolutely does not make sense) but with the Space Marines behavior - they cry like small kids, they do absolutely unlogical and rush decisions. They failed to understand people of Sotha - WHAT? Chapter that lived 10000 ON SOTHA? etc. etc. It's go on and on.

The short fiction you are looking for is "The Aegidan Oath" JH79 :)

I've listed a lot of the Sothan fiction and mentions in 40k rules, with individual notes afterward (so, spoilers beyond the initial listing)

http://the-scythes.com/the-scythes-essential-reading/

I just finished the novel myself, I'll take a couple of days to digest it. A few cited issues above come to mind, particularly a sub-plot that left me scratching my head as to where it was coming from.

Suffice to say I think Forge Master Sebastion was the true hero of the novel and my opinion is totally unbiased. ( ;) cheers Laurie!)

Interestingly a few events leave some nice hooks for me to tie in my fan fiction for my own small band of Scythes trying to reunite with those at Miral (Unaware of the tragedy)

The short fiction you are looking for is "The Aegidan Oath" JH79 smile.png

I've listed a lot of the Sothan fiction and mentions in 40k rules, with individual notes afterward (so, spoilers beyond the initial listing)

http://the-scythes.com/the-scythes-essential-reading/

I just finished the novel myself, I'll take a couple of days to digest it. A few cited issues above come to mind, particularly a sub-plot that left me scratching my head as to where it was coming from.

Suffice to say I think Forge Master Sebastion was the true hero of the novel and my opinion is totally unbiased. ( msn-wink.gif cheers Laurie!)

Interestingly a few events leave some nice hooks for me to tie in my fan fiction for my own small band of Scythes trying to reunite with those at Miral (Unaware of the tragedy)

Awesome! biggrin.png

Thank you so much for the info and link to your page, i had a quick flick through (love the old art!) and deffo want to spend some time digesting all of this when I've got the upcoming Paperback and audio in my hands! I really like the idea of Sotha being revisited down the millenia... and that short features none other than Oberdeii who must be almost 1000 years old! The mind boggles at such vast periods of time!

Archived