Alaaxes Timeline Question (Spoilers)

Hrolleif

I just finished Path of Heaven last night and I haven't felt loss like that regarding a character in a few books now. Definitely an amazing story. Anyways, I've been trying to read the books in publication order as best as I am able and feel like I missed something. I picked up Wolf King and read it last month but, in Path of Heaven, Russ has already moved past that part of the story arc and moved closer to Terra. What did I miss? Where can I find it? C'mon guys, I need my fix......

Tymell has the SW order as:

LEMAN RUSS: THE GREAT WOLF
Wolf at the Door
PROSPERO BURNS
The Thirteenth Wolf
Howl of the Hearthworld
Hunter’s Moon
Wolf’s Claw
WOLF KING
The Watcher
Raptor
Bjorn: Lone Wolf
Other appearances: A Thousand Sons, Scars, Battle for the Abyss, Betrayer, Fear to Tread, Vengeful Spirit, The Unremembered Empire, Angels of Caliban, The Path of Heaven, Weregeld

Black Librarium produced this timeline image as well.

Yeah, alas there's not really much between the end of Wolf King and Russ in Path of Heaven. "The Watcher", "Raptor" and "Bjorn: Lone Wolf" don't tie into Russ directly (Bjorn is set post-Heresy, and Watcher and Raptor are both about watch-packs, separate from the main body of the legion). The only real appearance between Wolf King and Path of Heaven is in Vengeful Spirit, when we briefly see Russ on Terra.

EDIT: For the record in terms of timeline, Alaxxes ends near the end of 31,007, and Molech (seen in Vengeful Spirit) is at the end of 31,009. Path of Heaven seems to take place in 31,011. So it appears to take Russ and the Wolves about 2 years to get back to Terra (I don't think it's specified in Vengeful Spirit exactly how long they've been there, but Russ is discussing repairs with Malcador, so it would seem not that long), and then the Scars get back there around another year and a half later. Since the Wolf Cull takes place in 31,012, Russ presumably departs Terra not too long after this.

Yeah, alas there's not really much between the end of Wolf King and Russ in Path of Heaven. "The Watcher", "Raptor" and "Bjorn: Lone Wolf" don't tie into Russ directly (Bjorn is set post-Heresy, and Watcher and Raptor are both about watch-packs, separate from the main body of the legion). The only real appearance between Wolf King and Path of Heaven is in Vengeful Spirit, when we briefly see Russ on Terra.

EDIT: For the record in terms of timeline, Alaxxes ends near the end of 31,007, and Molech (seen in Vengeful Spirit) is at the end of 31,009. Path of Heaven seems to take place in 31,011. So it appears to take Russ and the Wolves about 2 years to get back to Terra (I don't think it's specified in Vengeful Spirit exactly how long they've been there, but Russ is discussing repairs with Malcador, so it would seem not that long), and then the Scars get back there around another year and a half later. Since the Wolf Cull takes place in 31,012, Russ presumably departs Terra not too long after this.

Very good information, thanks. I think what I'm most interested in after the end of Wolf King is the outcome of running into that band of Dark Angels. I haven't seen nor heard anything regarding the final disposition of that small bit.

I'm still confused about the complete lack of mentions of the Wolves and Scars in Praetorian of Dorn. Either the Scars haven't arrived yet, which means the Wolves are still in the Sol system, or the Scars have arrived and the Wolves departed, or they're both still there just somehow completely overlooked by Dorn and the plot.

I'm still confused about the complete lack of mentions of the Wolves and Scars in Praetorian of Dorn. Either the Scars haven't arrived yet, which means the Wolves are still in the Sol system, or the Scars have arrived and the Wolves departed, or they're both still there just somehow completely overlooked by Dorn and the plot.

Wasn't there a mention right at the end of the Khan arriving?

It's basically

1. Scars (WS abandon SW)

2. Wolf King (SW barely survive the AL)

3. Path of Heaven (SW have licked their wounds on Terra and are ready to strike out at SoH)

As mentioned, Vengeful Spirit shows Russ on Terra...so that's between Wolf King and PoH

After PoH, there's Weregeld...i.e. showing the aftermath of Russ' failed offensive against Horus

You might be right, yeah. This whole thing is blending together already.

But that would still only solve one issue, because by the time the Khan arrives, the Wolves are still in-system to "greet" them, and have been around for a long while.

No issue here. The Khan does not meet Russ at Terra - they are simply *somewhere* in Segmentum Solar, on their way to engage the traitors, and have been for some weeks/months. The two fleets pass like... ahem... ships in the night.

No issue here. The Khan does not meet Russ at Terra - they are simply *somewhere* in Segmentum Solar, on their way to engage the traitors, and have been for some weeks/months. The two fleets pass like... ahem... ships in the night.

I think we're wondering why Dorn and Russ don't interact more in PoD

Is it because Russ is mostly on patrol?

I assumed the Wolves were already done & dusted on Terra and out of the Sol System when PoD takes place. The timefame of PoD is relativly short as well and we see more of Silonious / Alpha Legion & Archamus than we do of Dorn and his internal processing / attempt to control the events as they unfold.

Thinking about it the full scale Sol System alarm dopesn't sound until the closing stages of the book as well so even if the Wolves were close enough to pick up the alarm they would of been too late to actually help.

• 2 weeks later...

It's basically

1. Scars (WS abandon SW)

2. Wolf King (SW barely survive the AL)

3. Path of Heaven (SW have licked their wounds on Terra and are ready to strike out at SoH)

As mentioned, Vengeful Spirit shows Russ on Terra...so that's between Wolf King and PoH

After PoH, there's Weregeld...i.e. showing the aftermath of Russ' failed offensive against Horus

Yeap - Wolf Cull goes between PoH and Weregeld.

Well, MoM's afterword indicated that AD-B wants to include "those fine furry gentleman" in a Siege story

The ones that hasn't been killed yet and the ones which goes with the arrived Legions.

Archived