Orks in 40k Fiction

Sirrus

I have a couple of questions relating to Orks in 40k fiction.

1) The Overfiend books in omnibus form written by David Annandale is on sale this week on the Black Library audio app, and I was wondering what people thought of it. I'm mostly familiar with ADB, Abnett and McNeil so I'm less sure about other BL writers. Would it be a good audiobook to pick up? I realize it's more about different chapters responding to the Orks rather than about the Orks themselves.

2) What do people think of the Guy Haley's books written from the Ork perspective? I'm talking about his "-of Mork" series and others that he's done. I think it's cool that he's written the books from the POV of xenos, but I've also read that the books are challenging to read precisely because they're written, well, Orky.

• 6 months later...

That would be something new and enjoyable.

Following an simple Ork from Nob to Boss would be great. Maybe against someone else than Imperium...Necrons maybe?

"Pah! Da Nekronz be no match for da Orks! Oy! Dat one looks like a shiny new throne for ma ship!"

That would be something new and enjoyable.

Following an simple Ork from Nob to Boss would be great. Maybe against someone else than Imperium...Necrons maybe?

"Pah! Da Nekronz be no match for da Orks! Oy! Dat one looks like a shiny new throne for ma ship!"

or some other races we might not really know about like they do with the space marines.

Haley has continually portrayed the Orks well. They were the main antagonist in Baneblade, and they portrayed as dangerous, scary foes. This continues in the Gorkanaut shorts, and although heretical to say here, his portrayal of life in that other greenskin race from the Old World was excellent in Skarsnik. 

There's a novel that shows Ork Mekboys speaking in highly technical language. Which proves their knowledge is genetic.

This is one reason why I'd like to see a novel that (only briefly) covers the transformation of intelligence levels in Orks when their war and goes from small to much larger.

Deff Skwadron is the best 40k comic ever made and it is entirely from the orks' perspective. There aren't even any non-orks in it. It's like a cross between Hanna-Barbera cartoon and some of the stuff from 2000AD.

Haley's Skarsnik was good but never thought to look at his 40k ork books, will have to check them out. Just had a listen to the extract of Klaw of Mork, not bad at all. I was dreading the thought of Toby Longworth doing his best cockney accent for the greenskins so thank Mork they didn't go down that route.

Deff Skwadron is the best 40k comic ever made and it is entirely from the orks' perspective. There aren't even any non-orks in it. It's like a cross between Hanna-Barbera cartoon and some of the stuff from 2000AD.

Haley's Skarsnik was good but never thought to look at his 40k ork books, will have to check them out. Just had a listen to the extract of Klaw of Mork, not bad at all. I was dreading the thought of Toby Longworth doing his best cockney accent for the greenskins so thank Mork they didn't go down that route.

So i decided to dust off this little Gem and give it a listen earlier on... it's so much fun! I wish that BL had commissioned more by way of this kind of storytelling & Audio. The two main Orks are such a laugh, they're not bad Xenos, they just enjoy a good scrap and wanna bash a few skulls... and one of em (I'm not even going to attempt to write their names!) has a particularly touching moment looking up at the nights sky dreaming of blowin stuff up here and there.

Toby Longworth is nowhere in sight but Jonathan Keeble's serious yet friendly narration add's so much comedy to this at times, descriptions of humies legging it back to their mates etc... decided to order the SMB Sanctus Reach paperback so i can understand this in the context of the wider story and get the other Ork perspective story.

Seen through the eyes of an Ork, WH40k is quite the jolly place to be :happy.:

Toby Longworth is nowhere in sight but Jonathan Keeble's serious yet friendly narration add's so much comedy to this at times, descriptions of humies legging it back to their mates etc... decided to order the SMB Sanctus Reach paperback so i can understand this in the context of the wider story and get the other Ork perspective story.

Seen through the eyes of an Ork, WH40k is quite the jolly place to be :happy.:

. Annoyingly, the Sanctus Reach anthology doesn't include the origin story for Big Mek Uggrim's awesome little gang. Engine of Mork is a separate standalone story that was written alongside the release of the current stompa mini. Edited by Jareddm

I like how Siege of Castellax handled them

This. There was even a fragment where

One of human soldiers encounters an orc for the first time and he's turbo shocked that "veteran tales" of orks being big, clumsy clowns are totally made up cause ork in front of him looked like "death incarnate".