Your biggest hobby chore is...

old git

I have two...

First is getting all the hobby stuff out and set up so that I can actually build/paint. I don't have the luxury of a dedicated hobby space, so I have to set up and pack up frequently.

Second is painting in general. I LOVE building models, creating cool miniatures in epic poses that tell a story. But god damn painting is a chore, especially as I have decided I hate myself so my Astra Militarum army is going to be wearing camo gear instead of flat colours. Yay for painting 40+ infantry models in camo.

Staying organized.

I currently have about 25 models in various stages of completion.

And since my painting station is a TV tray I'm forced to work in about 8 square inches of space while the rest of my stuff clutters it up and mocks me.

I have two...

First is getting all the hobby stuff out and set up so that I can actually build/paint. I don't have the luxury of a dedicated hobby space, so I have to set up and pack up frequently.

Second is painting in general. I LOVE building models, creating cool miniatures in epic poses that tell a story. But god damn painting is a chore, especially as I have decided I hate myself so my Astra Militarum army is going to be wearing camo gear instead of flat colours. Yay for painting 40+ infantry models in camo.

I made a similar decision when I decided to paint Blood Axe Orks. I painted a full mob of 30 Orks in one go. It was excruciating. So far my Admech is more interesting to paint so I'm getting more of my army painted.

I sympathise with painting camo. That said...

[...]

my Astra Militarum army is going to be wearing camo gear instead of flat colours. Yay for painting 40+ infantry models in camo.

Well, it's a good and bad, not just bad:

Good

- You don't want to paint real camo (or it works and your model becomes hard to see), so you only need something suitably suggestive of camo (thus easier to paint).

- You don't normally shade and highlight camo because it makes the models too busy. Either apply the camo and then shade the whole model (applying highlights selectively), or add plain-coloured patterns to shaded and highlighted base layers.

- Camo can be used to hide any rough or less well painted parts of the models.

BAD

- More colours which need to work together on the model.

- Depending on camo scheme chosen, it can be hard to get looking right; this includes having camo that's not too effective so that your models look nice on the table, and are not just muddy little blobs that blend into the terrain.

- Depending on the scheme chosen, the camo can be considerably more work to paint neatly. Anything like MARPAT, Ambush, or Flecktarn is a lot of work in and of itself!

Mine is a bit odd. It's getting 90% of the way through a model and thinking 'This looks awful', because either the highlights aren't done, or bits haven't been painted, or it hasn't quite come together yet. Getting through that feeling and seeing the completed model is always a bit of a challenge, and one I haven't quite cracked yet, but I always manage to come through because otherwise I wouldn't paint anything.

Also, painting silver. Ugh.

Unlike most of the rest of you, cleaning mold lines is relaxing for me; a form of Zen meditation if you will. My biggest chore, by far, is washing the models in preparation for undercoating. Soak, toothbrush, soak, toothbrush, soak, rinse, dry... Argh, still shiny with release agent! I don't tolerate frustration well. :facepalm:

But like many of my challenges these days, I looked for a solution. I'm now the proud owner of 2.6 quart ultrasonic cleaner. And by the Emperor, it works!

Currently it is painting my bases, I am using a tile textured plasticard for them and the process of painting and highlighting each tile without going in the gaps is quite tedious. The only positive is that it doesn't need great lighting to see what I'm doing so I can do them in normal living room lighting while watching TV..

Finding time is rough..

Space is a mess presently and I really want to do to much.. I would say then that keeping my ambition in check such that my time and ability can keep up...

And honestly I only REALLY like the end result... putting 2 well painted armies on a nicely done table and playing a good game, with no whine and cheese... everything else is a chore.

Maintaining organization.

No matter how organized it starts, or how I try to keep things in order, at some point it always breaks down. This is an overall issue I have with most hobby tasks and work areas in general, but when I'm converting and/or scratch-building it's all but inevitable; practically without even noticing it's happening, I'll hit a point where the encroaching disorganization can only be dealt with quickly by crudely pushing everything back from a spot on my workbench to create a small clear zone to continue working in.

Few other daunting tasks can be undone like organizing a space, and that's why I hate it so much. Painting, building a challenging model, mould lines, and all of those types of challenges can ebb-and-flow with me; some come easier in general (like building), and others I struggle with sometimes to be motivated (like painting), but the beauty of completing all of those things is that once they're done you can be satisfied in the results and they can't be undone! Once I've taken the effort to really try to tidy and organize a space I can feel very satisfied with the results, but it can so easily be undone, and therefor require another session of tidying up.

However, I have begun to formulate a strait forward plan that will accompany my studio setup; I'm going to add shelves, drawers, and storage, everywhere in my studio space, and give most objects a proper home within the space. If you have to move something just so you can put another something away, it's counter-intuitive and reduces the motivation to do it in the first place. I may not be totally successful, but I've got to try something going forward, because my space is about to become home to a lot more stuff very soon.

Mould lines as often mentioned but one big thing for me is when batch painting models and you spot a stage you missed on one or two models... it always ends up like some kind of OCD dance where I keep hooking out a model from the factory line then the paint to do one little thing, then put the model back and take out another for for yet another paint to do once more one tiny thing I forgot... drives me mad as it seems to be never ending :P

I always try and be systematic and organised when batch painting but somehow it keeps happening!

When it comes to batch painting I've taken to only doing it for the basecoat and then highlighting and detailing each model individually from then on. The advantage I find from doing this is you get a quick snapshot of how things will look when they are done, coupled with a real sense of achievement as each model is finished along the way. It also avoids the tedium of doing the same thing over and over because you keep moving forward.

Biggest chore for me is easily painting any sort of trim, particularly on models like chaos space marines that have so much of it. Any other sort of painting is no problem at all, but when I get to an excessive amount of trim it just takes me forever to get motivated to finish it. 

My biggest chore is definitely painting. I've had thousands of points of stuff before built needing paint, and then sold it all because I just couldn't bring myself to painting it. I'm slowly getting there, but I think part of it is I don't want to ruin expensive models with a poor paint job and so I put off painting them entirely.

I've been collecting 40K for nearly 16 years and I've never had a fully finished and painted army.

My biggest chore is definitely painting. I've had thousands of points of stuff before built needing paint, and then sold it all because I just couldn't bring myself to painting it. I'm slowly getting there, but I think part of it is I don't want to ruin expensive models with a poor paint job and so I put off painting them entirely.

I've been collecting 40K for nearly 16 years and I've never had a fully finished and painted army.

I have a doppelganger?

I have a doppelganger?

I wish. I can only dream of having your modelling skills mate!

Archived