Thinking of enlisting.

So some of you have probably seen/talked with me here in the past working on my marines, but frankly I'm bored to death painting them now and I need something different to spice things up in between projects with them. Naturally the Guard seems like a perfect place to jump into for me, but I'm lost when it comes to anything IG (or whatever y'all call it now... ;))

So where would my money be best spent on a small allied force (or more maybe) to get me going? Interests would be a Navy theamed force, probably with mostly vets and geared for close quarters, potentially with some flying transports for them to go with the theme or Steel Legion with mainly basic troops in Chimeras suppoted by Russes (Cadians but with greenstuff since I'm no fan of metal or any aftermarket options I've seen). It doesn't have to be competitive at all really since my group is pretty laid back, but something that's not going to fall over to a squirrel sneezing would be nice too.

Thanks guys.

I would look at maybe an armored CAV style list with grenadier vets in Chimeras with melta/plas. 4+ saves and a tank to cart them around. Pretty cost effective as well.

Bullgryn are really cool but expensive, best combat troops outside of alpha strike rough riders.

Sentinels are great, and look neat!

TANKS TANKS AND TANKS! All the Russ variants are fantastic and add something to your allied force.

I would look at:

HQ options you can take a Commisar, model up a nifty command squad (not the most useful unless you wanna go 4 melta in a tank) or a tank commander, pask in a punisher is fun.

30 Infantry to make into 3 10 man vet squads with melta/plas, with 3 chimeras.

Some sentinels.

Heavy weapon teams are decent, Wyverns are amazing, Hydra for AA is ok, I love the deathstrike for no reason other than it's silly.

just my thoughts.

Elysian drop troops

Flying dedicated transports. Flying heavy support. 

Veterans can do imperial ton of damage when dropped in propper place mostly with close range weapons. they do not even need transports to be deepstriked. they can take 3 special weapons AND heavy flamer AND breacher charge (kinda 'meh' but sometimes this shahid's belt works brilliant) per squad.

And models look awesome.

Take them if you feel ok using Forge world's minies

They re released the cadian battle group box. That's a good place to start.

Anvil industries seem to have some nice bits for troops conversions too if you want some flare. :)

So when do you start? ;)

Take them if you feel ok using Forge world's minies

Just rephrasing this

Take them if you feel ok using Forge world rules

You can use whatever minis you like

Well, using costy minies without juicy rules is kind of pointless, isn't it? Thought that was clear after mentioining those rules.

I play mechanised Guard, and have to agree the Vets with special weapons zooming round in a Chimera is quite a cost efficient and viable way of playing. I can't speak for flyers, as I've only tried a handful of times and the style didn't really suit me. I agree with what the others have said. 

I go with Pask in a Punisher supported by an Executioner, both with Heavy Bolters all round to maximise volume of fire and take advantage of his warlord trait. Depending on points levels, 2-3 mech vet squads with 2x melta shooting out of the fire points. Wyverns are my 'must take' unit in the codex, and I've found they work best in twos or threes. In general, I favour the standard Leman Russ Battle Tank as S8 AP3 is rather effective against the sea of MEQ that is my (and most people's) meta. As for Plasma... I use allied Militarum Tempestus to take advantage of the 'preferred enemy' style order and max out four plasma guns in a deep striking command squad. I just don't like risking Vets getting hot and rendering themselves useless. An alternative would be to run some Armoured Sentinels with Plasma Cannons, but then the price starts to increase considerably.

Forgeworld does some hazardous environment alternative Cadian heads with breathing masks. It might be a bit pricey for a whole army, but there's an option that are guaranteed to fit. Something else to keep in mind is that you'll need to pick up extra meltas and plasmas from somewhere. GW doe packs of six of each, I believe. 

I bought the Cadian box over a year ago and I'm yet to put together the CCS or the HWTs as I've always opted to go mech heavy. I will be using the CCS to be part of the Emperor's Wrath Artillery formation soon. Until then, I don't have any tactical advice there...

Aside from the awkward single handed plasma gun that comes with the Scions and the one in the Cadian CCS box, I've used Marine plasma and melta - they fit fine with a little cutting. I just asked around as a lot of Marine players will have them spare.

Archived