Index Astartes: The Impalers

Dredmour

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

It's been a while since I have made progress with this homebrew. I was generally happy with the article I had written and the color scheme I'd chosen. Over a year of reflection and experimenting later I realized I was painting very inefficiently in terms of being able to produce an army. I was conflicted on which colors to use and what conventions to represent on the models. I have finally made all of those choices and through experimentation have found a thorough and simple way of maximizing my time but also the paintjob of the individual model. The example model I had posted previously took me hours more than it should have to make and did not get the desired effects I was going for. I believe my new approach is much more efficient and closer to my original intentions.

4hrkLyx.jpg

I apologize for the sheer size of the images, I am unsure how to change them on the B&C without editing the files which I don't wish to do for quality reasons. I would appreciate feedback on perhaps how I could improve my technique but overall I think I am happy to proceed with painting the chapter in this style. I have also realized there are sections of my lore I would like to alter of course and plan on streamlining the article for the Impalers in the near future. I also plan to update the chapter badge and display image seeing as I now have both custom shoulderpads and primaris models represented.

exQEjFJ.jpg

eDVxf48.jpg

I plan to use this scheme on standard units and marines. For characters I want use a mix of my previous technique with my new color palette and conventions. My main goal was to make things uniformed in a way I liked that produced contrast and complimentary colors. I simply did not want an army covered in purity seals that blend into their armor, or bases they don't stand out on. I think I've found the best way to proceed but I am always open to feedback. This is only a sample as I am new to glazing but I think doing my characters up like this will help them stand out enough but blend a bit by using the same range of reds. I've yet to test it in full but I think a character in the following style alongside units in the style above would look well together while emphasizing my command units. Any critiques or words of advice are appreciated as always.

te0rD7X.jpg

Ytbv45l.jpg

-Dredmour

I was worried about the same thing, I am just unsure of a good way of doing a darker red without toning down the contrast of the model. Alternatively I have played around with different color combinations for panels to no avail. I am wondering if perhaps I should play around further with the conventions of the models to show a bit more Imperial Fist lineage like making their aquilas and/or trim white to compliment the text on their arms. Or maybe even yellow bolter casing? 

I don't plan on using their shoulder trim for company. The logos on their off shoulder are merely for modeling purposes as I intend to streamline their denotation in a way I think would be fitting and interesting. I plan on, in lore at least, having them wear no company colors and no unit markings to make them adhere more to a system akin to that of the US Marine Corp. I additionally have had the idea to use the striping patterns and colors of real USMC medals on their helmets to represent lieutenant, captain, and other officer ranks but this may not translate into models well.

Perhaps using a blue tone for recess shading instead can help darken down their scheme overall but I am ultimately trying to find a transition from rich maroon to blood red.

I would not worry about the Blood Angels comparison, honestly there are a dozen well know Red Chapters out there and they are all in a similar shade. I think you scripture on the armor and distinctive ICON are more than enough to separate them. 

I'm with the High Marshal on this. Even the Ultramarines have primogenitor chapters clad in red armor. The script and icon and general paint scheme make your chapter quite distinctive. IMHO you shouldn't change a thing. It looks great the way it is:yes: 

Looks good :tu:

If you want to play around with the colour scheme, you could also consider a more unusual partition, like a heraldic pile - it'd definitely be unique and shouldn't be all that much more complicated to paint :)

Still, I also agree with Bohemond and Lunkhead - you don't really need to worry about it - the colour scheme looks good and the chapter symbol is different enough from others :tu:

• 6 months later...

I have not named him yet. Mircea actually sounds quite fitting, just unsure of a last name. Perhaps I should give him a title rather than a full name? Not really sure on the details yet, just had an absolute blast painting the model!

Archived