8th Edition & The HH

Charlo

Have faith, it will be like other swap overs, in fact certain changes may make units that are not cost effective suddenly be great and broken underpointed units not auto choices.

I do think the 3 ways of playing will slide in perfectly to 30k, too many pople go down the RoW filth fest and think its fluffy but in fact its just tedious to play against.

their will be losers and winners, and re may need to rearm and remodel some dudes but thats always been the way.

I do think the 3 ways of playing will slide in perfectly to 30k, too many pople go down the RoW filth fest and think its fluffy but in fact its just tedious to play against.

Erm what? 

The only RoW specifically that could be described as 'filthy' to my knowledge would be The Ironfire. And that's mostly because the legion artillery options are so gosh darn good to begin with. Other examples would be appreciated though. :)

I think I'll worry/cheer when an official publication is present and in my hands. Then I'll carry on and make it work because I love heresy.

Failing that I'll enjoy flying dwarf boats.

Best friiieeend.

So what's the speculation on do we think forgeworld will issue new points costs know everything. Or is the belief the general points would be similar and we get like a movement value and general rules update?

As in is it safe to bus an army now that would probbably only be finished up to playing standards by end of June.

Personally I would hold off. Just get stuff you think would be fun and you will use no matter what. There is close to zero chance FW is going to revisit everything with updated costs. How they are going to handle this transition is a huge open question.

The early rumours that predicted aos style rules and the 3 ways of playing said 30k was staying 7th ed rules with only minor tweaks.

Bingo. :)
So the bet would be a list built from the ground up now would be perfectly useable.

Like I was about to click the purchase button and then we get the adpeticon stuff and I haven't placed my order cause I'm not sure. Especially since I'd only be able to work on it starting next next month and the rumour is 8th in June if I recall correctly.

Still sitting in my cart currently if it was a small order id place it but it's litterally a 3k mech list so im a bit on the edge.

Sorry I don't follow you .

I'll try to clarify. I had come up either an army list I liked and was about to place the full order just before we got adpeticon 8th ed news. So I've been on the edge on whether or not if I built that list would it still be mostly valid in 8th or would I be better off waiting in case there are major changes to the horus heresey rules and points costs.

You do what you want, but getting a new army around the time of an edition drop usually isn't a good idea. If you don't care if you never use a model, then obviously go ahead, but you can expect your list will chance after the new edition drops.

Pardon for taking a dump on your dinner party here, but why are we taking this seriously? This whole thing is literally Duncan & Co. Put aside the collective sugar rush on bols.com or heresy online:

1) We are clearly told these are merely the proposed changes being thought over by now; ya'll remember the leaked 7th edition rules, rules that were much better, and rules that we occasionally still play by, but were eventually scrapped for a more streamlined approach?

2) persistent momentum of the rumour mill has been pointing towards a STREAMLINING of the rules, not turning 40k so many editions back that we'll be playing square bases.

3) any move contrary to a streamlining process will be butchered by the Board; narrative play encouraging troop heavy (read model heavy) models may find support, but any proposal throwing more maths onto a game trying to lose a decade on its average customer age smells like bull:cuss to me.

However, the literary and editorial butchery of the latest blackbook may point to a considerable portion of resources being sent back a few steps, in an effort to bring the previous legions up to date once 8th drops. 8th is definitely coming, but it will be a commercial bastardisation of what you're discussing here.

Thing is i recall someone owning up to those 7th ed rules being faked, these ones have come from the official promotional mouthpiece of GW. Now obviously they havent given us the full rules but id be surprised if these hints arent in 8th.

Also, if its planned for a Jun/Jul release those books are already written and being printed etc, we know WD has a 3 month lead time i can only imagine a rulebook is at least that long, probably a while longer as test copies etc are more important.

Looks like we are getting a bastardisation of 2nd ed and AoS, both of which strike me as steps back :/ Though some streamlining would be good! But then im just a grumpy old grognard :D  

Thing is i recall someone owning up to those 7th ed rules being faked, these ones have come from the official promotional mouthpiece of GW. Now obviously they havent given us the full rules but id be surprised if these hints arent in 8th.

Also, if its planned for a Jun/Jul release those books are already written and being printed etc, we know WD has a 3 month lead time i can only imagine a rulebook is at least that long, probably a while longer as test copies etc are more important.

Looks like we are getting a bastardisation of 2nd ed and AoS, both of which strike me as steps back :/ Though some streamlining would be good! But then im just a grumpy old grognard :D

If they'd like to go back to 5th that was nice probably my favourite edition at least for the first year or two. 6th had me uninterested so did a lot of the non horus hersey 7th.

Oh dear lord I don't even care about the edition change but the "30k is for older people" needs to stop.

I'm 26. I started 30k when I was 18, buying my first FW resin when I was in college. Of my current group, there are 2 people older than 30. 

The Horus Heresy is for everyone. If you think someone's going to power game, then talk to them. There is this myth that with 30k being easier to get into, the oh-so fearsome Taudar players are going to come in and ruin it for you. And yet, has it ever occurred to you that maybe, they're coming over because they like the balance too? 

I've said my piece, and will now be doing my best to ignore this thread.

Oh dear lord I don't even care about the edition change but the "30k is for older people" needs to stop.

I'm 26. I started 30k when I was 18, buying my first FW resin when I was in college. Of my current group, there are 2 people older than 30.

The Horus Heresy is for everyone. If you think someone's going to power game, then talk to them. There is this myth that with 30k being easier to get into, the oh-so fearsome Taudar players are going to come in and ruin it for you. And yet, has it ever occurred to you that maybe, they're coming over because they like the balance too?

I've said my piece, and will now be doing my best to ignore this thread.

The age old chuck a rock and run away tactic eh?

Not really efficient for generation discussion or changing minds.

Who said 30k is for older people? 

Anyway, on topic: I think there could be good changes. 7th has been a rough edition from the get go. 6th was a really good edition (Probably the best), and 5th was good too. While 4th, 3rd and 2nd, sequentially seemed to improve, they all left a lot to be desired for varying reasons. The rules that come out of Nottingham aren't always the best. However we always seem to make them work as a community. They don't want 40k to end up like Fantasy did. Who would. However the only way to prevent that is to try to keep it fresh. They have to do something. Nobody is going to roll back to sixth, or 5th and 7th is just not working. Look at the response to Death from the Skies. The community rebelled. If they want to keep it going, they have to either release supplements or revamp the ruleset. More supplements will make the game totally unwieldy. It is already pretty clunky as is. 

That said, I abhor the idea of a movement stat. I can deal with a lot of changes, but removing the movement stat was very good thing. When it was used before, armies were much smaller. There were fewer rules to worry about. Now you need to know the movement of everything. You need to understand how fast every unit you face is in order to make sound tactical decisions. There is a reason games like Chess or Go have lasted for hundreds of years. It has a lot to do with removing special knowledge from the equation. Now if they make a free datasheet available for every unit this can help, but the game will be more accessible if it is made more easy to follow.

On a final note, the powers that be have already said the 30k ruleset is a supplement to the 40k ruleset and will remain so. What this means for our community is yet to be determined but I'd bet my paycheck it won't disperse us. 

Horus Heresy is the premiere game and grosses the most profit. They are wise enough not to risk the golden cash cow. Playing the what-if scenario is a completely meaningless endeavor devoid of any fruitful output.

Horus heresy is a drop of water in a bucket compared to the profit GW makes on 40k. 30k is undoubtedly profitable, but only a tiny TINY sliver of GW's overall profit.

Further, when Alan Bligh was asked about how 8th edition would effect 30k at this past weekender, his response was direct and crystal, clear. He said that 30k will always be an expansion of the core 40k rules, whatever those rules might look like. He said if 40k goes in the direction AoS, then 30k will use those same core rules. The 30k rules writers might choose to carry over some aspects of 7th in their expansion set, but by and large, 30k will make the transition to whatever core rules 8th introduces. His response was unambiguous. 

Oh god, new edition means FAQ by FW and we all know how bloody useless FW are when it comes to FAQs , some of these new changes sound interesting especially charging units go first, horde armies may come back in force (especially with a daemons Heresy army list coming in Angelus) since they will be going first and with enough attacks wipe out smaller squads before they can even react especially with a rend mechanic

Unless, the reason we haven't gotten an FAQ in quite some time is because its a doozy and one that deals with porting stuff over to 8th edition.

I mean, for all we know, 8th is already done and has been sent off to the printers already and they're just waiting to build up a good stock before putting it up for sale.

And since the FW and GW teams work in literally the same building, FW would have a VERY good heads up on anything coming down the GW pipeline that may affect 30k, the rumored Plastic Thunderhawk in Inferno being a pretty good example.

Archived