[Iron Gauntlet] - Index Astartes: Imperial Sons

Kelborn

The lightsaber should be an S User, AP 1 weapon with the Armourbane and Fleshbane special rules, a D6 chance of bypassing Invulnerable saves as well as inflicting Instant Death, and the option of using it as a ranged weapon (see Arjac Rockfist's Foehammer in 'Codex: Space Wolves', as well as what Vader himself does with his saber).

First of all: Thank you for your input.

@NightrawenII: I'd like to apologize for my behaviour. Had a rough day and I misunderstood your intention behind your posts. You just showed me the weak points in both, my fluff and my argumentation (because of my fluff). I appreciate it and be assured that I'll keep them in mind while working on the rest of my chapter. Those notes below every category (first post) all belong to my initial concepts and ideas. These will be revised in time, so don't see them as fixed. Finished parts might differ from them.

Luckily, LySiMachus did post the following:

I think if you can keep the Chapter itself to a 'normal' size (within reason) and make it clear that they've reset these worlds up in their image but then left them to get on with putting it into pratice you wouldn't get into any trouble for empire building? So it would be like they're part of a larger collective that is friendly/loyal to the Chapter, but not technically under their direct control.

Of course, that might be more interesting in that you might potentially get representatives of the Ecclesiarchy, etc turning up after the Chapter has moved on and declaring the planet heretical and trying to undo all their work!

Thank you very much! You just described what I had in mind for them in a better way than I did!

Though I'd like to stick with the oversized chapter but I agree with the rest.

An example:

World Z is assaulted by Orks. The Imperial Sons appear and annihilate the xenos threat. Afterwards, they analize the entire situation, leading to the assumption that the world was not prepared / willing/ able / you know what I mean enough to defend itself, condemning them of being weak and unworthy. Thus, the chapter reset World Z in their image and move on, when finished. These reset worlds are loosely tied together because of their shared history and the same, renewed society, etc. 

Because of that, they are loyal to the chapter but are not slaves to the Imperial Sons.

I'm considering to give them a handful of worlds which are more closely connected to them like sub-sector Aurelia is to the Blood Ravens or Ultramar is to the Ultramarines. Not exactly an own empire but rather a bunch of worlds which see themselves as brothers.

The Imperial Sons never wanted to rule. They want to reshape those worlds which were not able to defend themselves into a Great Crusade like state, when mankind was on its ascendence.

Does that make sense to you, now? Hope that I found the right terms.

I like this.

Suggestions:

1) As Darth Vader is obviously a psyker (by the Imperium's standards), just give the Imperial Sons a Librarium that's closely monitored despite its diminutive size- say two Librarians per Battalion, all of whom have guards constantly accompanying them, with Chaplains authorizing the guards' use of lethal force against the Librarians if the guards sense even the slightest hint of Daemonic possession (no need to vox the Chaplain for permission before pulling the trigger)- instead of eliminating the Librarium altogether.

2) Widespread use of laser fangs (a Stormhawk interceptor's main weapon- a lascannon with its Range halved to double its rate-of-fire) as infantry weapons.

3) Modiify AT-AT or AT-ACT models by replacing their blasters with twin-linked lascannons, and mounting heavy bolters on the side doors (see Astral Militarum Valkyrie assault carriers for comparison). The resulting vehicles may then replace the Land Raider as an assault vehicle.

Thank you, Bjorn. Great thoughts!

1) hm...that is a really good alternative. It would be reminiscent to the SIth / Empire relation. Will think about it.

2) Yes! Sounds really cool! Will have a look on those weapons! To be honest, I did struggle with that point until now.

3) Oh yeah, you know what I like. :D Good thing is that AT-AT like walkers already existed during the Great Crusade. They are covered in the exemplary battle of the Iron Hands, featured in Forge Worlds Massacre. Maybe I can find a way of implementing this pattern into the Imperial Sons armory. Need to reread that battle again.

Regarding your suggestion about Lightsabers. Sounds good but to be honest, I don't play or collect minis. Although I have several codices (and recently Inferno), I did bought them out of fluff reasons. ^^ So I nearly don't have any clue what you're talking about. ;)

The Codex Astartes does have loopholes allowing Chapters to be oversized in anticipation of heavy casualties. The Exorcists have two extra Scout Companies because their recruitment practices kill many Scouts before those Scouts become full Marines.

They intentionally make Daemons possess their own Marines, expecting the recruits to expel the Daemons through sheer force of will, becoming immune to Daemonic influence afterwards. Unsurprisingly, many die instead.

And only the Emperor and the High Marshal know if there are 1000 Black Templars, or 6000.

As for a Chapter's total number of Marines, the figure "1000" likely excludes Techmarines and vehicle crews (each Rhino needs a driver and a tank commander; each Razorback needs a gunner in addition to those two crewmen), to say nothing of the Chapter serfs and servitors serving as maintenance and support personnel.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Exactly.

Having this in mind, the chapter would be numbering even more members. ^^

Today's update: color schemes

Tried to arrange them next to eacht other (at least two in onw line) but it didn't work. Will have a look on it, when I'm back home.

Adding color schemes in spoiler tags:

Trooper
Captain
Black Hand
Crimson Guard
Sovereign Protector
Commander
Edited by Kelborn

Do Sovereign Protector get chrome-plated armor, like Capt. Phasma in 'The Force Awakens'? (The film is flawed, but the armor still looks cool.) Will there be Mandalorian counterparts- maybe Assault Marines with Cyclone missile launchers mounted on their jump packs?

What do the colors mean? White for the purity of their purpose, red for the sacrifices they will make to accomplish their goals, black for mourning (the reason the Black Templars are, well, black) or to identify the Imperial Sons as the Primarch's executioners?

Good thoughts and questions.

Haven't thought about chrome but that might work here as well. For now, I haven't considered Mandalorian being part of this. Though this could be a cool gimmick, imho one can only do justice to the Mandalorians by giving them their own chapter. Rich culture, their own way of waging war, etc. Everything one might need to create a DIY chapter. :)

The colors are basing upon the Stormtroopers. I played a bit with white, red and black as these are the main colors of both Galactic Empire and First Order.

I kept the typical white / black armor of the Stormtroopers for my basic infantry. Like their counterparts, Sergeants and captains have a colored shoulder inlet, indicating their rank. Green = Sergeant, yellow = lieutenant red = captain

Black Hand (Veterans) are basing upon Death Troopers, Dark Troopers, Shadow Troopers

Crimson Guards are basically the Royal Guard of Palpatine

Sovereign Protector is a variation which wasn't covered until now

Commander = Darth Vader / overall Sith Lords

But I do like your suggestions. It fits their character. If it is ok, I'd like to use that as a fluffy explanation. :)

According to the books, the chrome on Capt. Phasma's armor was salvaged from a Naboo yacht belonging to Emperor Palpatine; the armor reminds the First Order (Imperial remnants) of the glory the Empire had at its height.

A similar explanation may be found for the Imperial Sons' Sovereign Protector. "The chrome of my armor once coated the blades of the Primarch's Honour Guards- blades that broke in their final battles, as the Honour Guards gave their lives for our father. As the wearer of the chrome armor, I must serve as a living memorial to their sacrifice, and an example to my brothers in the Crimson Guards."

Lovin' it! :D

I got the books as well, so I'll have a look on them again. Fun fact: Rogue One's Death Troopers are rumored to be gene enhanced warriors. Does that sound familiar? ^^

Had an idea regarding armor, which I forgot in the last posts:

Usually every Marine gets his armor, which he wears his entire life. Why not making the armor some kind of a status symbol? Whenever a Trooper ascends, he gets a new armor, representing his rank and affiliation.

Trooper = MK V and & or MK VII (MK V for being easy to service and being spread wide during the HH & MK VII as the usual armor to go with and both share some features)

Black Hand = MK IV & VI (most advanced & sneaky armor types)

Crimson Guard = Indomitus Terminator & Centurion armor (reserved for the elites)

Sovereign Protector & Commander = heavily customized Terminator armor (either Indomitus or Tartaros)

Guys, I've done something.

May I introduce you to the Diadectes class transport? An amphibious vehicle for both, the BotL project and the Imperial Sons.

Basing on the 30K Mastodon and some Star Wars vehicles, I came up with that idea.

Some basic infos:

I gave it a flexible structure for better crossing of difficult terrain. It is able to drive at land, as well as swiming in deep seas (though with some restrictions regarding depths).

Like its kinsman, the Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport, the Diadectes All Terrain Transport is able to transport about 40 Astartes or 20 Terminators.

Its thick hull enables it to dive into certain depths, making it a formidable weapon of choice in aquatic warfare.

Its armament consists of the following:

- a pair of twin-linked heavy lascannons

- a set of multimeters

- four torpedo / missile tubes

- two missile launchers (Dreadnaught size)

- additional 4 lascannons which can be exchanged for heavy Bolters, assault cannons or similar sized weaponry

DIY - Diadectes close up

DIY - Diadectes class transport

Would love to hear your thoughts. :smile.:

Edited by Kelborn

Is the Diadectes amphibious, meaning it floats? Or is it merely watertight, meaning it crawls along the bottom of the sea? A submarine that can crawl on land will be a toothless giant- the pumps, air and water tanks a submarine needs will occupy space for lascannon generators or assault canon ammunition stowage- meaning it'll be more trouble than it's worth to have the Diadectes do both.

And are the Titan-class missiles vertically launched, like those of contemporary submarines?

Amphibious.

As I've read about Land Raider being used in underwater missions, I thought that an amphibious transport could be a good addition to a chapter, which specializes in multi vector operations.

The missile launchers are basing on the Juggernauth from Star Wars.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-canon/images/f/f8/Juggernaut-Front.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160120221832

The Dreadnought's missile launcher is the only one I found which is might fit in size, etc.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101014_SpaceMarineDreadnoughtNEW01.jpg

I suggested vertically launched missiles because those can be larger, giving the Diadectes missiles with larger fuel supplies (greater Range) and/or warheads (greater Strength). It will likely have a minimum range (meaning the weapon can't be used if the enemy gets too close), but a superheavy vehicle will be a priority target; a long-range weapon will help reduce the threats it faces.

As for modeling, a vertical launching system looks like rooftop hatches until the missile is launched (or being loaded into the launch tube). That should be relatively easy to do.

Either this or a TIE-Striker / Stormhawk mix.

Tbh I haven't thought that much about modified vehicles as I wanted to avoid mary-sue / snowflake territory.

Edited by Kelborn

Adding some appearance stuff.

APPEARANCE

“The chrome of my armor once coated the blades of the Primarch'sHonour Guards- blades that broke in their final battles, as the Honour Guards gave their lives for our father. As the wearer of the chrome armor, I must serve as a living memorial to their sacrifice, and an example to my brothers in the Crimson Guards."

Vow of the Sovereign Protector

The Imperial Sons heavily derive from their Ultramarine predecessors. They choose the colors of white, blac and red for them to bear. Each color has a distinctive meaning for them and in order to resemble their various ranks, the follow a strict code.

The color of white resembled the purity of their purpose, the unification of mankind and the propagation of the Imperial Truth. Red stood for the sacrifices they were willing to make in order to accomplish their goals. If those sacrifices were of their own losses or civil casualties did not matter. The loss of the Emperor and their beloved father was of such impact that the Imperial Sons still bear the color black as a symbol of their mourning. Furthermore, it also represents their self-proclaimed role as the executors of the Emperors’ grand vision.

As they loosely follow the tenets of the Codex Astartes, they implemented their own ranking system. The distinctive colors stood for certain ranks. They wore these colors on their right shoulder:

-          Troopers, white shoulder inlet; white armor with black trim

-          Sergeants, green shoulder inlet; white armor with black trim

-          Lieutenant, yellow shoulder inlet, white armor with black trim

-          Captain, red shoulder inlet, white armor with black trim

-          Black Hand, white& green shoulder inlet; black armor with white trim

-          Crimson Guard, white & green shoulder inlet; red armor with black trim

-          Sovereign Protector, black shoulder inlet; chrome armor with red trim

-          Commander, black shoulder inlet; black armor with red trim

Furthermore, the Imperial Sons honor their armor in a different way than most other chapters. Instead of wearing their armor from their initiation until their death, each Imperial Sons obtains his armor with a certain rank. Acting as both, status symbol and recognition of their deeds, the variety of armor patterns are restricted as rewards.

Besides very few and rare occasions, the different armor patterns were used as such:

-          Trooper: MK V & VII, most widespread and common mark within the Imperial Sons’ ranks

-          Black Hand: MK IV & VI, the most advanced patterns in terms of stealth abilities and combat proofness

-          Crimson Guard: Indomitus Terminator armor, though relics as such, the Indomitus pattern is still the most commonly used by all chapters

-          Sovereign Protector & Commander: heavily customized Terminator armor, basing upon the Tartaros pattern

Edited by Kelborn

I always thought that MK VI was designed to be the sneaky pattern, including your mentioned modifications. oO

If not, then yeah, they would modify their suits like this as the Black Hands are the guys for the really dirty, ignoble jobs.

One have to undergo every aspect of war in order to master it. War is not shiny and clean. War means to annihilate your foe, to punish the unworthy, to give everything for the greater goals of the Emperor. That's the philosophy of the Black Hands.

The Troopers act as "normal" infantry, undertaking the typical codex units like Tactical, Assault and Devastor squads.

The Black Hands act as the reconnaissance (some might even call them Destroyer) jobs, etc.

If one mastered these philosophies and techniques, he will ascend to become a member of the Crimson Guard, the epitome of the chapter.

As "Bastion" isn't the Chapter planet's original name, I have to wonder if it was originally that of a Traitor Legion, which the Imperial Sons conquered during the Great Scouring and then built their fortress-monastery on to deny its use to the Traitor Legion, monitor the planet and its populace for signs of Chaos, and taunt the Traitors. (I'm assuming Bastion isn't just Corusca with a new name.) Maybe Chemos- the Emperor's Children's home world- which was heavily industrialized and, despite the depletion of its natural resources, still potentially useful?

Are there Chaos Space Marines swearing vengeance against the Imperial Sons for "stealing their birthright"? (For comparison, see how the Night Lords reacted when they learned Tsagualsa was re-colonized in 'Void Stalker', Aaron Dembski-Bowden's third Night Lords novel.) Even if my hypothesis is incorrect, I can see a radical Inquisitor claiming so, and using this to justify conducting Exterminatus on Bastion.

Great idea! :tu:

But isn't it an unspoken taboo to make use of canon worlds, especially one like Chemos?

But I'll consider it nevertheless. Doesn't have to be a canon world. Can also be a DIY world of another Liber warband or something like this. Could be a good start for creating a long lasting feud.

And yes, Bastion is indeed not Corusca. Corusca was their biggest success during the Great Crusade. Their masterpiece of a compliant world, if you want. And still it fell beneath the forces of Horus and got corrupted by his foul allies.

So I'm currently thinking about their history and origin.

After rereading the Scouring of Nostramo, I came up with the idea of using the 10th chapter of the Ultramarines. Led by Arceas Odinathus, the 10th chapter was tasked with chasing after the retreating Word Bearers and World Eaters. They fought within the Dominion of Storms (which btw is a side project of mine in order to flesh it out) against both of them. They reconquered Honourum and fought in the Nostraman sector against the Night Lords.

As they had a lot to do back then, I thought, why not spreading their forces?

The Imperial Sons could be a large detachment of the 10th chapter, led by Galen Diomes. While Odinathus was heading northbound, Diomes could have stayed within the Dominions, trying to eradicate the last traitorous remnants. Their main antagonist could be a brotherhood of both, Word Bearers and World Eaters, calling themselves the Brotherhood of Kain.

Dealing with these Brotherhood, the Sons could be trapped within the Dominion alongside their enemies. Years later, they are able to return to the wider Imperium. It is assumed that the Brotherhood was eradicated. But rumors are recently arising, heralding their return.

In the meantime, the Second Founding was already done and the Third is getting closer. I'm not quite sure if RG was already enthroned when the Third occurred. Depending on this, the Imperial Sons are either proclaimed by him or the current UM chapter master as a new successor chapter, alongside their brothers of the Scythes of the Emperor.

They return to the northeastern realm of the Dominion of Storms, reclaiming their former battlegrounds and reforming them in the name of the Imperial Truth. The center of this loosely connected alliance is renamed as Bastion, redeeming its hideous history as the Brotherhoods base of operations.

This alliance is situated in the northeastern corner of the Dominion. If you have a look on the pictures below, it is next to the warp anomaly known as the Dreadstars and the Yurai Nebula. I'm intending to let one Battalion staying there, discovering and securing the still unknown reaches of the Dominion, while the other Battailon fight across the Imperium.

Dominion Galaxy map

Dominion 40k

(an 8th edition map will be done in the next couple of days)

While fighting at the borders of the Imperium, they discovered another force of Astartes, the Warbeasts. In the so called Colonial Wars, both chapters fight alongside each other against a unknown, renegade force of yet another Astartes, calling themselves the Star Lords. These Star Lords led a vast trade empire within the unknown regions, proclaiming themselves as the true sons of the Forgotten Son.

Another important event of the Imperial Sons history will be a civil war within the chapter itself. When their chief librarian and the Commander were corrupted by ancient lore, originating from the vile and returning Brotherhood of Kain, they see themselves as the one, true embodiment of the Emperors grand vision. This betrayal leads to a showdown between the Commander and the Sovereing Protector, resulting in the defeat of the Commander, the death of his followers and the nearly disbanding of the Librarius, limiting their numbers down to two per Battalion. This will be basing upon the superb Crimson Empire story.

What do you think?

Edited by Kelborn

A Chapter war is an interesting development, which (with good writing) will justify many of your ideas, e.g., a diminished Librarium.

I'd like more details on the "Warbeasts" and the "Star Lords," however. Why support the former against the latter? How did the Imperial Sons know the Warbeasts weren't Chaos-tainted renegades who should be purged alongside the Star Lords?

Indeed. A chapter war was one of few solutions to justify certain key points. And it fits to the general Galactic Empire theme, which shattered and fought itself without a strong leader.

I could write a couple of hours about the Warbeasts and the Star Lords but I'll keep it rather short.

The Star Lords are a Lost Legion idea of Lord Thorn. He created them, when we were looking for a new Legion for our Brotherhood of the Lost project. It's about a british empire themed Legion, which established the imperial trade network, etc. He allowed me to use them for my future projects, like the Iron Gauntlet. If you're interested to get to know more about them, I've summarized all of his ideas, which I can send to you.

The Warbeasts are basing on an old concept of mine. You can call it an attempt of introducing my own Lost Legion, the Predators, into canon. The Warbeasts are the last descendants of said Legion. Their theme consists of African culture, mixed with some Haiiti Voodoo, some influences of Warcrafts Ork clans (most notably the Warsong and the Frostwolf) and the aspect of having animal companions for their elite squads. Not like the 40K Wolves for sure. ^^

The basic idea of the Colonial Wars is as followed:

Both, the Star Lords and the Predators fought along their brothers of the Dark Angels and Space Wolves against the Rangdan Xenocides. Inferno mentions that the casualties were so high that even entire force of [Redacted] Legions were extinguished.

My idea is that the Star Lords are corrupted by the Rangdan and retreated into the unknown realms. Their Primarch fell in the last battle against Russ and the Predators + Wolves. The Predators were chasing the Star Lords, leaving the Imperium and having never returned. Even when their Primarch was discovered (long after the Rangdan Xenocide war), he headed towards the void. Noone ever saw him or his sons again. Entire scout fleets were sent but all failed. Thus, the XIth Legion was eradicated from all records, annihilating any hints of the Imperiums tragic loss and the Predators + Primarch became known as the Lost Legion.

The same happened to the Star Lords but because of their betrayal, they were known as the Forgotten Legion, unworthy of ever being mentioned again.

Centuries later, the Star Lords and the remnants of the Predators still fight against each other. Both had established a loose realm of their own, enabling them to continue their feud. It is unknown what exactly happened with the XIth Primarch.

This is the backstory of the Colonial War. Why exactly the Imperial Sons help the Warbeasts has yet to be decided. I'll work on this while writing down the first sections of their history. Be assured that I want to avoid snowflake territory and I'm not intending to create something contrary to canon.

4chan members interpreted some lines in Aaron Dembski-Bowden's 'The First Heretic' to mean the Ultramarines Legion assimilated surviving members of the "Missing Legions" after they were purged. To avoid controversy and maintain plausibility, it's best for the Warbeasts to claim they're yet another Ultramarines successor, and not mention their identity as "XI Legion" outside of the Warbeasts' own page.