Reader's Notes

simison

I have finished Signus. Final thoughts...

• 'A Devil's Contract' box is kinda confusing. It states that a legion losing 10,000 warriors is 'effectively rendered combat ineffective'. What? Even if a legion numbers a mere 5,000, it's certainly not combat ineffective. But then it states that the Blood Angels legion would eventually return to full strength. What? How? When?
  • I'm annoyed that one of the last paragraphs goes on at length at how much effort the Blood Angels spent to hide any details of the Signus campaign, only to have the entire account show up here. Yes, I understand FW is playing the Mechanicum card with Shurol, but it still bugs me. 
  • The fact that some Custodians survive implies they arrive at Guilliman's Secundus empire. Who thought this was a good idea?
  • As usual, I enjoyed the emphasis on troop deployments, battle lines, and the tactical nitty-gritty that adds an entirely new aspect to battle we don't see nearly as well in the Black Library novels, but...
  • Ultimately, I think Blunt has the right of it. FW should have left Signus alone. FW's additions were just as likely as to taint the effort (the Custodians) as they were to add something interesting (the new angel-titles & heroes). And those additions could have been made elsewhere. Honestly, I think the real reason FW chose Signus was to have a plausible way to add a Daemon army without jumping too far ahead in the timeline. So, instead of jumping forward, they jumped backwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts from the Saint arc of Gaunt's Ghosts...

• It appears sufficiently famous/divine people can, in fact, reincarnate. Though, as far as the Imperium is concerned, this seems to be limited to living Saints. 
  • The ending is incredibly bittersweet. Also, human souls can dodge the hellscape of the Warp, for a time at least. There is a ghost, a peaceful ghost, at the end of the arc. 
  • The Imperium, mid-Imperium, has the ability to create a device which can read soul signatures to trigger a super weapon. Or, maybe Sabbat found some Dark Age tech.
  • The living Saint of the series wields green fire when being super-divine. 
  • The Imperial Guard/Army really deserves to share the limelight with the Space Marines instead of being consistently overshadowed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back to Malevolence

• So, FW is now saying that the thunderhawks were introduced in 943.M30. This in spite of it supposed to be introduced 'relatively recently'. I'm going to reject this bit.
  • Friedrich Nietzsche is Fridrek Neetcher in 30k.
  • Canopus is another world that is known for its extensive production facilities 'equivalent to that of a lesser Forge World'. So, the Mechanicum does not have a monopoly on production within the Imperium. It's also the site of a battle between Blood Angels and Sons of Horus. 
  • Saiph is a feral world used as a recruiting ground for the BA
  • The last addition to the books by the author is 087.M31. We can use that as a similar benchmark for our own writings. Also, the Khan has already disappeared by that point. The Brotherhood in question refuse to break down into chapters, retain claims to be a legion, and promptly head out into the unknown to continue to make war.
  • FW seems to now emphasize how the early Legions fought alongside the Thunder Warriors. 

• At one point, artificial moons were made around Neptune. They were occupied by mutants of the formerly human outposts and xeno raiders.

By the point of Neptune, the Ninth Legion was around 12,000 marines. Now, they are explicitly mentioned as one of the largest Legions, but the numbers renew old frustrations with calculations. 

A couple of brief mentions of fighting at the Second Siege of Yarant (early BA & Fists) and Shedim (Malagant Rifles and early BA). 

Sanguinius' conquest of Baal is interesting. On the one hand, he does purge the mutants beyond hope of salvation, but he never actually conquers the normal humans. The latter peacefully flock to his banner. Even more interesting, Sanguinius begs the Emperor not to slaughter the Baalites, who revere Sanguinius as a god. The Emperor relents and the Imperial Truth never comes to Baal. You'd think that would mean the Imperial Cult would be super-charged there.

Compliance of Teghar PentaurusTime: circa 848.M30. Location: Storm-wracked fifth world of the system. Involved abhumans and potential trained dire carnodons. Given the time-difference after Sanguinius is found, it could be anywhere in the galaxy. If we do we keep it near Baal, then the Steel Legion or the Iron Bears would be in the right neighborhood. Relatively-speaking, though the Crimson Lions would be more thematically similar to the Blood Angels. Recommended LegionIron Bears, Steel Legion, or Crimson Lions

A

• Siege of Anaxis XIITime: circa 850.M30. Location: Anaxis XII. Blood Angels and Imperial Fists versus Hrud. The siege lasted a full year. Recommended LegionAny 

• Battles of Cambriole and PrehaltTime: circa 852.M30. Location: Cambriole and Prehalt. Blood Angels versus Eldar Reavers. Lot of dueling and close combat. Recommended LegionAny 

Compliance of Kentaurus Beta coloniesTime: circa 857.M30. Location: Kentaurus Beta. Sanguinius peacefully ensures compliance.  Recommended LegionHalcyon Wardens

I do not agree with the Forsaken at all. At the very least, the claim that Sanguinius only saw visions of doom. That's explicitly the Night Haunter's gig. I'm curious if the Forsaken is FW trying to establish a proto-Death Company. If so, I'm still not sure if they did the execution right. While 40k BA tend to have dark visions, that's to reinforce the utter grimdarkness of 40k as opposed to that being the nature of the visions themselves.

Er, well that completely reverses what BL wrote. Of the two, Horus and Sanguinius, both were widely loved, but Sanguinius was the 'distant' one. Not so much on purpose, but his own ethereal nature made it harder for him to connect as well as Horus did. Instead, Sanguinius tended to awe everyone he came into contact, like the Emperor. What really confuses me is that FW suggests Sanguinius could calm Angron down...not sure how I feel about that one.

Ah, there's the 'Sanguinius should have been Warmaster' that ires Blunt so much. Eh, Horus himself stated as much, and I wonder if the in-universe author is biased toward Sanguinius after what happened at the Siege of Terra. If that is the point, then one point of subtlety toward FW. If not, they lose a point.

Battles of Kum-kartaTime: Unification Wars. Location: Yndonesia. Involved fortresses with sunken vaults. Recommended LegionAny 

I find the three Spheres of the Blood Angels quite amusing and interesting as I was able to recognize some angelic orders from prior studies. The only disappointment is that they didn't follow through on the First Sphere, which are called Immortals. Then again, both Cherubim and Seraphim, the highest orders of Angels, were used for specific Orders within the First Sphere.

Since when is 120k marines considered one of the largest legions?

• The Pentagram of Vesper was an emblem for veterans of the Venus campaigns, apparently the 'worst massacres of the Wars of Unity'. The image can be found on Legionary Scrun, p. 126.

The Blood Angel banners and pauldrons are shiny. I pity the artist who tries to emulate them. I do appreciate the shout-out to Nakir and the 24th company.

• 2 weeks later...

Notes from Bellisarius Cawl: The Great Work

Non-Spoiler:

.Some Xenos races deemed harmless may have been allowed to survive as protectorates during the Great Crusade, though this particular example was harvested to extinction shortly after the Heresy for a highly effected rejuvenat.

.The Astartes are named after Amar Astarte, an individual who worked with the Emperor on the Space Marine project.

.Ezekiel Zedayne was the individual responsible for the Black Carapace part of the project.

.Void Skitarii of the Basilikon Astra are named Navatoi this time, and are equipped with plasma-carbines considered safe to use in shipboard combat.

.Cult-Hierophant is a high rank within the Mymridon Cults.

.Fighting still continues within the lower Hives of Mars, possibly years after the Heresy.

.Pre-Heresy, menials were clone-birthed by the hundred/thousand on Mars.

Spoiler:

.Pharos is a Necron construct, part of a massive commuication/transport network. It is powered by 8 C'Tan Shards, and there may be hundreds of similar locations in the Galaxy.

.There is an implication humans were created by the Old Ones.

.Cawl was one of twelve students of a Biologis hermit tech-priest named Diacomes, who was attempting to find a way to fully transfer his memories and personality to another body. As the last surviving viable student of Diacomes, Zedayne had Cawl brought to him and attempted the procedure in order to survive, intending to overwhelm Cawl's personality in the process. The opposite occurs, and Cawl gains access to his memories.

.Cawl also at some point manages to absorb the memories of a Sarumite tech-priest.

.A C'Tan refers to the God-Emperor as 'a weapon' rather than a God.

Edited by Beren

Compliance of Kiy-buranTime: Early years of the Great Crusade, first pushes outside of Seg. Solar but Dorn has been found. Location: Kiy-buran. Warlord Ek-Lobia of the techno variety, created an empire out of irradiated desert of cannibalistic mutants with some Old Night witch-craft thrown in. It's a brutal campaign that lasts 12 years, and a lot of eating. Not sure who should get this sucky campaign, but it's definitely going to require a legion. Recommended LegionAny 

Burning of AnakhatorTime: post-Sanguinius' discovery. Location: Near Anvillus. Another brutal campaign, this time with more techno. Lost colony survives Old Night by raiding others. The Iron Bulls use every dirty trick in the book to resist (such as herding civilians around military targets) in addition to exo-skeleton war-suits, multi-legged machine-war-mounts, plasma casters and grav-lances, and false flags of truce. They are able to briefly hold Sanguinius and his twelve companies at bay before they are overwhelmed. Another hard target of the Great Crusade. Recommended LegionAny 

• 3 weeks later...

Notes on the Rangdan Xenocides on top of those found here:https: //warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Rangdan_Xenocides

.At Bloch, the Rangdan forces are described as 'a faceless tide of grey abominations'.

.Rangdan ships were able to mimic imperial sensor profiles.

."A Rangdan Warship was all spines and flails and trailing metal tentacles, like an iron jellyfish left adrift in the void.

.One type was referred to as a 'Rangdan Hardship".

.Their ability to interfere with Imperial tactical instruments was never truly counterable.

.The eradication cannon of the Hellion-Minoris Ordinati was devised by the Ordo Reductor expressly for the Rangdan campaigns.

.The Randan Osseivores (relation to Cerebevores?) were within the category that the Ordo Sinister had been created to fight, that of which the only recourse was often exterminatus.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to Malevolence, ...

• The early Fifth offers some ideas on how to treat the Drowned before Morro. Actually, the Pioneer Companies look a little...coincidental compared to our work on the early Drowned.
  • Some additional Unification Wars details for those interested. An Albian Fortress of Dubris and the Kadiru Fortress of the Yndonesic Bloc of Ursh (has catacombs).

• 5 weeks later...

• The Kolarne Circle is a region of space filled with potent enemies across a dozen worlds. Doesn't possess much in the way of strategic value, but this is where Jaghatai tempered the White Scars. We have Orks on Sengr Mar & Vorgheist, but different foes on others. For us, I'm not sure what this region means to us. Could be a Late Crusade campaign, a sign of the Great Crusade's progress showing the Imperium sweeping back into lower priority areas. The Circle cost the White Scars 8,000 marines. Expect a similar price tag.

FW suggests that by the 900s, the Imperium had tentatively reached the edges of the galaxy. This is to emphasize the Imperium's claims as opposed to true borders though, since there would be a great deal of fighting back inward.

FW really does emphasize that there was a shift by the time Horus took command. Yes, there was plenty of campaigns to be fought, but everyone could tell the Great Crusade had peaked. An end, however nebulous, was on the horizon.

The heck? The Vth Legion numbered 70,000 marines when the Khan was found. By the time of the Heresy, they would number 95,000. I guess the Khan was a brutal commander or (more accurately) Chogoris could only offer so many recruits.

Renegade human enclaves on Algeron VII for anyone who wants to fight some 'umies.

Therona Secundus contained a Fra'al stronghold. What were the Fra'al? I believe I've seen that name before.

Nothing in the BL books about the Khan suggests he'd permit the losses that implies. I'm minded to put that down to numerical messiness on FW's part.

Incidentally the first campaign where the Vth fought as the Scars was Hoad, and Gar-Ban-Gar sees them fight Orks for the first time alongside the Luna Wolves and Solar Auxilia.

Edited by bluntblade

• 2 weeks later...

I've found another excuse to make a list. This time it's a list of all the vehicles and units that are mentioned in fluff banners within the Red Books, but have not - too my knowledge - yet been provided with rules by either us or canon. The fluff banners also mention specific worlds, campaigns and minor Mechanicum sects - some of which are fairly interesting - so I may do a list of those next.

Legiones Astartes:

Spartan Hermetika siege command vehicle- A less resource intensive but more durable Spartan equivalent to the Damocles Command Rhino. Entered service during the latter days before the Heresy.

Wrath fighter- Already known of.

Amhut Voyager- A craft that shares STC components with the Xiphon. Not necessarily a combat craft.

Hephaestus- One of the STCs that provided component technologies for the design of the Sicaran tank.

Deathammer- A superheavy tank based upon the same STC as the Baneblade and the Fellblade. Alongside the Baneblade it was a mainstay of of the armoured brigades of the Imperial Army.

Warhawk and Nepheros class Stormbird assault transports - utilised by the Yndonesioan Bloc during the Unification wars and adapted for the early Legions. The Sokar was developed from this.

Mechanicum Taghmata:

Conqueror pattern battle-automata- ancient battle-automata pattern of which the Domitar was a variant. Note; The Arlatax automata was developed independently and prior to the Domitar, and thus offers a good picture of how the different variant thing works.

Martian Skitarii regiments- Hopefully to be covered by Forgeworld in the future.

Castellan type battle-automata- The Castellax was the most common type of this. 'ancient'

Archnakratus and Staraq crawler- More advanced Tarantula equivalents that use autonomous servitor and sub-cortex control.

Crusader pattern battle automata- The ancient and revered DaoT template that can be found on every major Forgeworld, from which the Vorax was developed.

Ordinatus Urkallac: An Ordinatus Minoris

Leviathan tank: Covered in lore.

Minor Mechanicum Sects:

Tempestora Sect-

Aided in the creation of the Sicaran.

Logiseers- Prognosticators for the Titan Legios.

Ur-Nomus faction-

A Mymridon cult lead by Mymridon Destructor Lord Ymiros Cyroville that advocated complete armed secession from both sides in the Anvillus system.

Sollex Mymridon-

Aided in development of the Thanatar Calix, described within the FFG rpgs in the more 'modern' setting of the Calixis Sector.

Omega-Shevar Ordo Reductor covenant-

Aided in the creation of the Thanatar Calix.

Additional notes- The Krios is described as serving in the Skitarius. The Spatan is mentioned as seeing service in the Mechanicum, despite no current rules representing this.

Campaigns:

Ghassulian sub-realms- X

enos with fortified bastion-cities. The Space Wolves made a request that resulted in the creation of the Whirlwind Scorpius to aid the campaign.

Deep Hyades VI-

A 'forbidden sphere' that was visited by Explorators out of the Galatea forgeworld. The Cerberus neutron laser battery was reverse engineered from DAoT battlefield wreckage recovered on this expedition, causing some controversy about the nature of its provenance.

Psiom Reach-

'Formless overlord beings that were so massive they could crush entire armies with their bulk'. Defeated via Falchion Volcano cannon of the Ultramarines.

Thulos Deeps-

A presumably human civilisation that rejected compliance. 'Gravity-defying mountain-fortresses' burnt 'from the skies' by Iron Hand Falchions.

Catachi Diabolum-

An 'apex exo-cthon' that was a 'major thorn' in the Great Crusade's side. The Glaive was created to combat this and was the target of their first deployment., for which 'the need was great'. The word Katachi roughly means 'form' or 'shape' in Japanese, but has a numerical value of 8 in Chaldean and Pythagorean numerology?

Great Mandragoran Incursion(already used)-

An event that left the Forge World of Anetarbraxus 'shattered'. Note; in the Fall of Orpheus Imperial Armour book, it is made clear that there are many regions in the Galaxy referred to as Mandragoran.

The Carnoplasm-

An 'unspeakable' and 'thankfully rare' xeno form that liquefies flesh and drinks it off bodies and at some point attacked Incladion.

• 2 weeks later...

Campaign against the Pale Emperor – 980.M30 – “wild edge” of the Mandragon Sector – Versus a human civilization, small but wielding Dark Age Tech. Heavy plate and mini-walker tanks. Commanded by a petty man.

The Emancipation of Drune, 881.M30 – Planet Drune, spinward of the Morpheus Rift – human civilization under xeno-mind control. Hundreds of thousands of mind-slaves paired with xeno abominations, including a tentacled behemoth which nearly killed Horus and Mortarion. Required 3 Primarchs and Legions to put down.