Third Armageddon War = Dead Yarrick?

DrLoveMonkey

So I've heard that the third war for Armageddon is getting retconned into chaos and orks double assaulting at the same time. I've joked about this being the time Gazghul finally krumps Yarrick, but then I realized oh crap, all guard regiments are mass executed after contact with demons.

Are there any exceptions to this? It would suck if they do a full Armageddon campaign only to gas another AM hero at the end.

The survivors of Cadia (the few that were) didn't seem to under go any of the usual treatments.

Similarly to those who fought alongside the GKs nothing was mentioned of mind wiping etc

Oh right good point, maybe that's something that's been taken down a bit from "Every time and always sterilize them."

Well seeing as the Shadow War: Armageddon has up to date fluff on the Third war, and it mentions neither Chaos nor Yarrick getting the boot, I honestly highly doubt this.

That's what I was wondering too, there isn't anything about it in Shadow War. Then again Shadow War I think takes place during the third war and it's possible that I'm mis-remembering and somebody was talking about a new war that was going to start. Of course it could all just be some conspiracy he thought up from reading a bunch of the novels and reading too much into recent stuff.

The whole thing about Imperial Guard being executed whenever they encounter Chaos is a extremely inconsistent piece of fluff, largely brought about by the hilariously bad lore of the Grey Knights 5th Edition codex in an attempt to make them the Sue-est of the Mary Sues which included the whole super-duper-mysterious nonsense. It's contradicted in far more places than it isn't, most notably by Cadia (or, was before it went kaboom). Even narrowing it down to "it's only when they encounter daemons" we still have a fair few examples of Guardsmen fighting them and going on to fight another day without being blam'ed.

The more likely scenario is that Yarrick suffers a similar fate as Creed, in that he's horribly wounded and put out of action so the Space Marines can look cool, but they don't go so far as killing him and stick him in a coma or something just incase they decide to bring him back.

The whole thing about Imperial Guard being executed whenever they encounter Chaos is a extremely inconsistent piece of fluff, largely brought about by the hilariously bad lore of the Grey Knights 5th Edition codex in an attempt to make them the Sue-est of the Mary Sues which included the whole super-duper-mysterious nonsense. It's contradicted in far more places than it isn't, most notably by Cadia (or, was before it went kaboom). Even narrowing it down to "it's only when they encounter daemons" we still have a fair few examples of Guardsmen fighting them and going on to fight another day without being blam'ed.

The more likely scenario is that Yarrick suffers a similar fate as Creed, in that he's horribly wounded and put out of action so the Space Marines can look cool, but they don't go so far as killing him and stick him in a coma or something just incase they decide to bring him back.

We all know where that goes, 15 years from now an ancient techpriest is going to give him a badass suit and bring him back to life with the help of the Eldar. I can dig it. I'm just hoping if the Warscroll rumours are true that we get to keep him and Creed/Kell for the next edition drop. They did a really good job when they did the same for AoS warscrolls and their heroes.

Indeed the Imperium technically "Won" the third war. But Orks tend to infest planets pretty well so constant patrols are required in underhives in order to burn the threat out. I personally believe that a down and out scenario for Yarrick would seriously hamper him as a character just due to his inhuman type capabilities for a non space marine. I mean his arm was removed from his body and he just slapped on a ork powerclaw and said "Good to go"

Krash

TGS also has stuff about Gazzha being on the move, sighted all over the galaxy in quick succession. I think it'll be 4+ sort of deal. Given the colossal scale of the Third War, it's compelling to consider what they might go ahead with now...!

I mean his arm was removed from his body and he just slapped on a ork powerclaw and said "Good to go"

Krash

Many humans can do the same if blood was stopped and infection prevented. So that's what human can do. Nothing extraordinary here. Some people even believe that we're the 'orks' of our universe. We can lose limbs and survive, we fight wars with each other because of some stupid things, we eat poisons for fun, we like speed, we produce contageous substances on everyday basis, we can breed very quickly, we produce bio-acid to digest food etc. So nothing special about a strong willed guy loosing his arm. 

I was under the impression that the war at Armaggedon was still going strong. Several Ghaz liutenents are still there fighting.

Ghazzy just got bored and left persued by Imperial Forces and then was saved by Gork and Mork (or Mork and Gork)

No no we as humans can not just slap on a Ork powerclaw and survive, Yarrick has been cited as being extraordinary for a non augmented(minus bionics) human. Even by space marine standards. Not many in lore terms Humans go up against Ork War-bosses and survive let alone gain the respect of Orks, even space marines barely can take on a Ork warboss and live to tell.

Krash

Well may be the problem here is that your point of view lacks traditional base. Russian trditional fairy tales are actually not about fairies. They tell of human heroism, sucrifice, honour and death. So fighting beyond standards of human flesh is kinda what we're used to from childhood. And history proves that a human can do more than he/she usually can whem is faced with a great danger. So i still think that Yarrikc is mere human. Good leader, well trained fighter but still human.

Exactly what I'm saying and you are 100% correct he is human. He's a human that has done things that no ordinary man has lived through is all I'm saying. Don't bring your "Earth" references into my 40k please they don't apply here. It's not every day that a Space marine (Black Templars specifically) show respect to a mere human who seems to have a strange way of surviving crazy situations.

Krash

To be honest Helbrecth as more respect for Yarrick than most other space marines.

The eternal crusader by Guy Haley is good evidence of that.

It actually says it.

I'll link that passage when I'm home tonight.

My understanding is that the irks believe Yarrik to be unstoppable, so he is.

That doesn't make him any less hardcore, but helps to account for all the little inconsistencies and oddities that surround him.

The action is at the Armaggedon war council and some Space Marines are contesting Yarrick decision of abandoning Hades hive.

"Helbrecth decided that he had more respect for Kurov and Yarrick than many of his supposed space marine brothers."

The survivors of Cadia (the few that were) didn't seem to under go any of the usual treatments.

Similarly to those who fought alongside the GKs nothing was mentioned of mind wiping etc

The GK could try that with the Templars, but it would not go well for the Brotherhood of Titan. Not well at all.

Archived