8th Edition & BA

Charlo

See i can't decide if i want to give them boltguns or pistols. If i put them in rhinos and get them straight into combat then its the pistols that would help as i can shoot in combat, but the boltguns give me extra shots at range... what does everyone think?

Edit

Also now that theres no relentless, does that mean if we rapid fire we can't charge?

Edited by DeathcompanyDante

Few things, in no particular order:

Just curious, how are We feeling about the global campaign that is upcoming? in July/August?

I'm hearing September for BA specific codex.

I feel like BA right now have a lot to offer us on the table.

I've never played loads of death company, if for no other reason than from a fluff perspective. I play them in bulk mostly in campaigns/narrative driven games.

I know that DC in bulk were seen on almost all BA tables, and while I disagree with some of their new interactions, I feel they are now comfortably a troop hunting unit.

I feel angelus bolters are great for hit and run tactics, as they have loads of shots. If we are staying in prolonged combat, then other options are better suited for the job.

I still think we have certain units that will still be our tank/monster hunters.

But I'm still cautiously optimistic and excited about picking up my pre-order this weekend.

See i can't decide if i want to give them boltguns or pistols. If i put them in rhinos and get them straight into combat then its the pistols that would help as i can shoot in combat, but the boltguns give me extra shots at range... what does everyone think?

Edit

Also now that theres no relentless, does that mean if we rapid fire we can't charge?

It means you can charge normaly after shooting a rapid fire weapon

Also don't know if anyone else has come across this but i accidently turned Dante into a beast (kind of). Played a fun game with a friend who brought codex marines and i had a librarian near dante and cast unleash rage on him (we weren't sure if this was allowed but he let me do it anyway cause 1) we were only playing for fun and 2) after a brief look couldn't see anything from stopping it.) Also with the extra attack from the warlord trait he was charging with 7/8 attacks himself along with his sanguinary guard squad. The combo was brutal and i was starting to feel a bit bad with all the re rolls due to dante being the warlord. My mate admittedly didn't deal with it well and kept moving units near dante to get shots on him only for them to be charged in turn and his librarian died early on so he wasn't able to deny the powers. 

So if Dante is your warlord its an extra attack on the charge for free...

don't mind if i do:wink:

I'm thinking of doing something similar with the sanguinor as warlord. His aura is +1 attack. Auras explicitly affect the character themselves as well if they meet the keywords (rules, pg 179) and are not specifically excluded, so that bumps him to 6A base, same as Dante for 45 less points. Warlord trait for another +1A. SG within 6" get +1A from aura and hit reroll (plasma pistols & melee) because he's warlord. Stick a JP priest in there for +1S on everybody (including priest). 

If you're feeling particularly nasty, a codex librarian inside 12" can try to cast two powers; veil of time (reroll charge) & might of heroes (+1S, +1T, +1A) on sanguinor or SG. I'd probably be tempted to drop them into cover and plasma pistol them if dropped, as you can only cast veil of time on one of the sanguinor, priest or SG unit which significantly risks splitting up your buffs. Next turn, move up into closer charge range and chop chop city. 

If you got MoH off on say, the sanguinor; including melee weapons and I've done my sums right; sanguinor would be 2+ hit, S8 (so wounding on 2+ against T4), 8A, -4AP, D3 damage. SG with axes would be 3+ hit with reroll, S6, 3A each, -2AP, d3 wounds and finally priest on S5, 5A inc chainsword.  

That'd tickle most things I think.

Alternatively, given how much damage comes from the characters, if you wanted to keep costs down you could just switch to cheaper jump infantry (assault squad or VV depending upon what weapons you want) to act as ablative wounds.

Edited by Arkhanist

At work so can't screenshot but they are

1) Add 1 to your warlords attack characteristics when they charge

2) Friendly Units within 6 add 1 to their leadership

3) Each time your warlord takes a wound on the roll of a six they ignore it

Again like the psychic powers you can either roll a d3 or choose yourself

I'm looking at the indexes in a scattered fashion and I noticed something.

Guard have ridiculous access to good morale... A Commissar means they can only ever lose one model to battle shock. That is INSANELY powerful, oh and he let's them use his Ld9.

We have chaplains with a similar aura and I suppose the "Ancients" are what give us fearless now, but nowhere near as cheaply!

An excuse to use banners though? Now that's cool.

I'm thinking of doing something similar with the sanguinor as warlord. His aura is +1 attack. Auras explicitly affect the character themselves as well if they meet the keywords (rules, pg 179) and are not specifically excluded, so that bumps him to 6A base, same as Dante for 45 less points. Warlord trait for another +1A. SG within 6" get +1A from aura and hit reroll (plasma pistols & melee) because he's warlord. Stick a JP priest in there for +1S on everybody (including priest).

If you're feeling particularly nasty, a codex librarian inside 12" can try to cast two powers; veil of time (reroll charge) & might of heroes (+1S, +1T, +1A) on sanguinor or SG. I'd probably be tempted to drop them into cover and plasma pistol them if dropped, as you can only cast veil of time on one of the sanguinor, priest or SG unit which significantly risks splitting up your buffs. Next turn, move up into closer charge range and chop chop city.

If you got MoH off on say, the sanguinor; including melee weapons and I've done my sums right; sanguinor would be 2+ hit, S8 (so wounding on 2+ against T4), 8A, -4AP, D3 damage. SG with axes would be 3+ hit with reroll, S6, 3A each, -2AP, d3 wounds and finally priest on S5, 5A inc chainsword.

Alternatively, given how much damage comes from the characters, if you wanted to keep costs down you could just switch to cheaper jump infantry (assault squad or VV depending upon what weapons you want) to act as ablative wounds.

Would there actually be any benefit from dropping SG in to cover as their is already 2+ and can't be buffed further, right?

Would there actually be any benefit from dropping SG in to cover as their is already 2+ and can't be buffed further, right?

The benefit is if someone has AP -3 that 2+ save becomes a 5+. If they are in cover that adds +1 it is now a 4+ save instead of 5+. Cover can actually provide benefits in this way, at least as I understand it.

The benefit is if someone has AP -3 that 2+ save becomes a 5+. If they are in cover that adds +1 it is now a 4+ save instead of 5+. Cover can actually provide benefits in this way, at least as I understand it.

Ah ok makes sense. In that case dropping in to cover, overpowering plasma and charging turn 2 sounds like pretty good tactics

Hey guys. Did a search but couldn't find anything but how would one gear up some BA scouts for 8e?

Just the regular guys, no sniper rifles. Yet.

Other than low cost assault units and objective grabbing, not much for normal scouts. Sniper scouts are looking nice if only to force wounds on specific models. 10x snipers are going to force a bunch of wounds.

Ah, thanks.

That said, how about Death Company?

Bought my first DC set and wanna know how best to set em up having never used the crazy guys before lol.

Other than low cost assault units and objective grabbing, not much for normal scouts. Sniper scouts are looking nice if only to force wounds on specific models. 10x snipers are going to force a bunch of wounds.

Ah, thanks.

That said, how about Death Company?

Bought my first DC set and wanna know how best to set em up having never used the crazy guys before lol.

Keep them cheap. Jump Packs, Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, maybe a Thunderhammer and a couple Power Swords. Depends on how many you are running.

I'm going to gripe for a moment.

I just got a glance at Celestine's rules and stats, and again I feel we lost a great chance to make the Sanguinor more than what he is.

I just don't get it.

Okay, rant over: been looking at building a couple foot ASM squads with flamers and a power fist in a rhino I think the squad could be fun. Would also be worth noting to also take combi-weapon and weapon of choice for rule of cool.

I played a game at 1500 and took a bunch elite units that got shot up. A single Vindicaor shot hurts sanguinary guard quite a lot. Without an invulnerable save it still seems they have a hard time getting into combat. This was only one game though. I brought mostly assault units and a standard terminator squad so I didnt have much shooting and had a hard time killing vehicles, even in combat. 

I am going to play another game tomorrow with some foot slogging tacticals and sternguard in a razorback with twin lascannons. Also a baal pred which so far I like. I will update with how it goes tomorrow. 

One thing that I noticed that is kind of annoying though. Unless I am missing something, our psychic ability Unleash Rage is the same range, and warp cost as the standard space marines might of heroes, except that MoH also give +1 T and S along with the +1 attack that we get. Any thoughts?

I played a game at 1500 and took a bunch elite units that got shot up. A single Vindicaor shot hurts sanguinary guard quite a lot. Without an invulnerable save it still seems they have a hard time getting into combat. This was only one game though. I brought mostly assault units and a standard terminator squad so I didnt have much shooting and had a hard time killing vehicles, even in combat.

I am going to play another game tomorrow with some foot slogging tacticals and sternguard in a razorback with twin lascannons. Also a baal pred which so far I like. I will update with how it goes tomorrow.

One thing that I noticed that is kind of annoying though. Unless I am missing something, our psychic ability Unleash Rage is the same range, and warp cost as the standard space marines might of heroes, except that MoH also give +1 T and S along with the +1 attack that we get. Any thoughts?

Re MoH and Unleash rage

I guess it's because they stack?