GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of gold....!

I have been hard at work past couple weeks on a few bits and pieces. Currently WiP on my painting table are:

- Lieutenant

- “veteran” Intercessors

- Ancient

I thought I would share how the ancient is going, there is a long way to go, but I’m enjoying how he is turning out!

wOBPiBz.jpg

As you can see; he’s all gold!

I wanted to do something Sanguinary Guard esque with him. I see the Ancient as the exemplar of the company, not necissarily the brother with the greatest talent for command, or even combat, but the warrior who exemplifies angels virtues and graces, and reaches the greatest feats of heroism. Hence being honored with the golden armour, and the large number of purity seals you see adorning him!

Hope you like him so far!

Cheers

Edited by neonmole

You are too kind guys, thankyou!

More than happy to share the gold recipe!

1. Prime Vallejo German Red Brown (airbrush)

2. Basecost Vallejo Liquid Gold (airbrush)

*there are a couple of caveats to this step

- Liquid Gold is an absolute pain in the ass in many ways, it’s a alcohol based paint so can’t use your normal set of tools/water. Think carefully before committing to using this as part of your colour scheme, as I guarantee it will frustrate you at times. That said, the colour itself is spectacular, and imo unparalleled as far as golds go. It it we’re not I wouldn’t bother with it.

- DO NOT use your primary / only airbrush, this is going to be dedicated to using only this paint once you use it once. I use an old one, that is now dedicated to this colour.

3. Glaze Reikland Flesh (thinned about 50.50)

4. Glaze Druchii Violet (again thinned)

5. Edge highlight Liberator Gold. This should be pretty subtle, the main effect is produced with the glazes (this step isn’t yet applied to the above model)

I hope that is helpful guys! The process is relatively simple, it’s mostly practice in terms of getting the balance of glaze right, and how liberally you apply / wipe is away etc. It’s taken me quite a long time / few tests to get down.

I’m planning on finishing this guy (minus the flag - which is a seperate undertaking) tonight, so I might share that later if I get him done!

As always, cheers!

- Liquid Gold is an absolute pain in the ass in many ways, it’s a alcohol based paint so can’t use your normal set of tools/water. Think carefully before committing to using this as part of your colour scheme, as I guarantee it will frustrate you at times. That said, the colour itself is spectacular, and imo unparalleled as far as golds go. It it we’re not I wouldn’t bother with it.

- DO NOT use your primary / only airbrush, this is going to be dedicated to using only this paint once you use it once. I use an old one, that is now dedicated to this colour.

5. Edge highlight Liberator Gold. This should be pretty subtle, the main effect is produced with the glazes (this step isn’t yet applied to the above model)

I hope that is helpful guys! The process is relatively simple, it’s mostly practice in terms of getting the balance of glaze right, and how liberally you apply / wipe is away etc. It’s taken me quite a long time / few tests to get down.

I’m planning on finishing this guy (minus the flag - which is a seperate undertaking) tonight, so I might share that later if I get him done!

As always, cheers!

I don't have an Airbursh and have Brush Painted on a few Vallejo Paints before with no Issue, recently the Acrylic Metal Color Gunmetal. Would the Liquid Gold be doable?

I guess I'll just stick to my lazy Retributor Armour + Reikland Fleshshade since I don't have an airbrush not to mention two. Yes that's right, I'm too lazy for the highlights as well. :P

As always, cheers!

I don't have an Airbursh and have Brush Painted on a few Vallejo Paints before with no Issue, recently the Acrylic Metal Color Gunmetal. Would the Liquid Gold be doable?

You could brush paint Vallejo Liquid Gold, but it is not at all the same as the other Vallejo paints you reference. It is alcohol based, not water based. This means it cannot come into water (at all) or it completely ruins it. This includes traces on your brushes. That means you need a dedicated brush, use 99% isopropyl as thinner, and that it dries on the palette / model *extremely* fast.

If that sounds like a pain in the ass, it certainly is! You can definitely get fantastic results with it (with or without an airbrush), but you need to know what you are getting into. It is definitely what I would consider an “advanced” product. If that doesn’t deter you give it a shot! The colour is incredible!

I actually paint the glaze over the whole model (at least the gold bits), but I use the gloss version of the shades where possible, and gloss varnish the model first so the glaze doesn’t really settle heavily on the flat bits, but rather just gives a rich hue. That said, I do the wash quite slowly and watch for anywhere it’s settling that I don’t want it so that I can wick away the excess with the brush.

So I managed to finish the (still flag-less) Ancient today, and as I said I would earlier I thought I would share!

I’m really proud of this model, since I started the Primaris project several months ago I have had the idea of golden ancient in my minds eye. It’s really satisfying to see that idea come to fruition!

T1bIpYc.jpg

D99oOwJ.jpg

AYKN94A.jpg

And who can resist a group sho!?... he needs some brothers to inspire right? :)

pex9m7L.jpg

Cheers!

Haha, it’s actually an “11” I intentionally!

As the first of the new, I imagine my Primaris to be the 11th BA company. Figuratively speaking at least, and literally until the lore contradicts me!

Its awesome to hear that some of my posts have helped you! It get so much joy from painting and sharing my stuff here, it’s great to hear others getting something from it too!

Haha, it’s actually an “11” I intentionally!

As the first of the new, I imagine my Primaris to be the 11th BA company. Figuratively speaking at least, and literally until the lore contradicts me!

Its awesome to hear that some of my posts have helped you! It get so much joy from painting and sharing my stuff here, it’s great to hear others getting something from it too!

Whew, I almost didn't say anything and I was hoping it wasn't supposed to be for the IX legion.  Glad I was wrong :biggrin.:

You really tempt me to paint my Ancient in gold as well. It would however clash with my Reiver since I already paint them as pseudo-Sanguinary Guard as well. :D

Just a small nitpick about the small shield on the Ancient. Those shields were traditionally supposed to guard a knights armpit when he rises his arm so it would make more sense for it to hang lower infront of his armpit. ;)

Just a small nitpick about the small shield on the Ancient. Those shields were traditionally supposed to guard a knights armpit when he rises his arm so it would make more sense for it to hang lower infront of his armpit.

Such details are good to know. Thank you for sharing this.

Being that I have both the Vallejo liquid gold and am thinking about upgrading my airbrush soon, I may have to give your gold recipe a try once I get started on 30k Sanguinary Guard. I know there's no rules but cmon, who really thinks this isn't going to be one of the IXth's units?

Being that I have both the Vallejo liquid gold and am thinking about upgrading my airbrush soon, I may have to give your gold recipe a try once I get started on 30k Sanguinary Guard. I know there's no rules but cmon, who really thinks this isn't going to be one of the IXth's units?

If there's such a unit then we'll probably get proper models whenever they finally release all the BA stuff. ^^

You really tempt me to paint my Ancient in gold as well. It would however clash with my Reiver since I already paint them as pseudo-Sanguinary Guard as well. :D

Just a small nitpick about the small shield on the Ancient. Those shields were traditionally supposed to guard a knights armpit when he rises his arm so it would make more sense for it to hang lower infront of his armpit. ;)

Makes sense, thanks for sharing! I didn’t realise they had a protective purpose, I thought it was just a way to display the heraldry.

I didn’t actually have the shield thing on originally, but I added it for some additional detail/visual interest since I knew the model would be 90% one colour. The nice thing about the shield being at that angle tho is that it is visible from able, a “players vantage” if you like, meaning you can see it while playing rather than concealed behind the banner. Rule of cool!