Index Astartes: Star Wardens (WIP)

InAction

I want to paint a Star Warden Gunslinger now. This is all well written in my eyes and I would gladly give reference to their existence. Keep it up, this is really good.

Also, any ideas for character/hero units (i.e. The Magnificent 7, Blonde, etc.)

I want to paint a Star Warden Gunslinger now. This is all well written in my eyes and I would gladly give reference to their existence. Keep it up, this is really good.

Also, any ideas for character/hero units (i.e. The Magnificent 7, Blonde, etc.)

Thank you - it is very encouraging to know that others have grown to like this project so much. Though I've had plenty of help compiling writings and stuffs, and it is still a work in progress. I've also wanted to go back and maybe adjust the color scheme a bit, tone down the base silver to more a grey or something - that's closer to the cowboy grit image, right? Still I've only gotten started though!

As you've no doubt seen, I kind of have been bouncing ideas around for character concepts, legendary campaigns, etc. I'll probably do something like the Magnificent Seven inspired band of brothers thing, but at the moment I want to try and finalize some details so I can get started actually painting some minis. For now I'm just kind of throwing names together, see what sticks, see if I can't attach a rank to 'em and then will work out backstory later. Speaking of, here are a few:

Charron - Master of the Force, The Widowmaker (Filling the role out of the taciturn daddy-techmarine. I thought "Widowmaker" was appropriate for the weapons smith, and could imply something further in his personal history.)

Absolon - Chief Librarian (Struggling on a title for this one - I was thinking something like 'the Storm' or 'the Cyclone', something weather-related.)

??? - 5th Company Captain

That last one I left open-ended because I've got a couple different names I each like but can't really decide between.

- Armand Lamar

- Alderic Lyon

- Edgard Winters

If the use of French names seems off, I went with it after taking some advice from Conn Emeron in the Liber Surgery thread.

Also had some ideas about unique weapons while I was ruminating on my Widowmaker.

The Peacemaker - A master-crafted bolt pistol

The Dead Man's Hand - Relic power fist

Edited by InAction

Again, you should issue revolvers chambered for heavy bolter shells. Points value for 7th Edition: 3 (1/3 that of a heavy bolter). Profile for 7th Edition:

Range 18, S 5, AP 4. Pistol.

"Buntline Pattern bolt revolver" should work as a name (see the long barrel Colt Single Action Army revolvers Ned Buntline gifted to Wyatt Earp).

Another option for a master-crafted bolt pistol's name, is "Bisley". The English city once held shooting matches; Colt named a Single Action Army variant with a "bird's head grip" after that city, to advertise how accurate the guns were. (In-universe, just say "Bisley" and "Buntline" are the names of the Tech-priests and/or Techmarines who made these weapons.)

Again, you should issue revolvers chambered for heavy bolter shells. Points value for 7th Edition: 3 (1/3 that of a heavy bolter). Profile for 7th Edition:

Range 18, S 5, AP 4. Pistol.

"Buntline Pattern bolt revolver" should work as a name (see the long barrel Colt Single Action Army revolvers Ned Buntline gifted to Wyatt Earp).

I'll admit, you put it like that, I can see liking the idea, (I'm picturing Hellboy's Good Samaritan as reference). I'm just not sure how plausible it would be, within universe if not on the tabletop. I was under the impression that heavy bolter rounds were designed to dish out more damage as well as take a faster, constant rate of fire, so bigger and longer than the standard bolt. And I'm not sure in what circumstance a marine would limit themselves to a sidearm that fired only about six rounds before they need to reload when a bolt pistol magazine has like about twenty to thirty rounds in it. I'm not saying I dislike it, just I'm having trouble justifying it.

Unrelated note, 'nother character name I got via random generator.

Gaetan Archambault - Chapter Master

'Cause that sounds like a Chapter Master name to me.

Why would a Marine choose a six-shot revolver over a semiautomatic pistol with a 30-round magazine? For the same reasons a real-world person would.

1) "Stopping power." A hit from a heavy bolter shell is more likely to pierce armor and inflict a fatal wound.

2) "For the challenge." See Revolver Ocelot from 'Metal Gear Solid', who feels a Makarov pistol's greater magazine capacity and rate-of-fire are worthy sacrifices for the Single Action Army's greater accuracy and stopping power.

3) "It's more reliable." At least that was an argument used against the adoption of semiautomatic pistols into the 1980s.

4) "It looks cool." Again, see Revolver Ocelot.

Alright, you talked me into it. I was hesitant at first 'cause I couldn't figure how to quite justify it, but I think I have something.

Ingram Pattern Bolter
At some point in M38 Warden Techmarine Ingram happened upon an ancient STC file while investigating fragments of the ruined Space Hulk that had crashed to Delamar during the "Skyfall" event. With it he quickly passed the data over into the possession of the Mechanicus of a neighboring Forge-World. The result was a unique pattern of bolt pistol with single chambers, modified to hold heavy bolter rounds. In gratitude for their continued partnership, the Adepts granted the weapon, now designated as the "Ingram-Pattern", to the Star Wardens chapter. They continue to produce these pistols to the present era, although in smaller quantities as the necessary resources required are of a high manufacturing cost. The Ingram's design provides the wielder with higher stopping-power as well as reliable speed, but because they are in rather short supply the more common bolt pistol remains standard issue. Still, the Wardens share an affinity with the Ingram, adopting it as a symbol of their homeworld - it is considered a great honor and a recognition of one's ballistic skill to be granted one.

Alright, you talked me into it. I was hesitant at first 'cause I couldn't figure how to quite justify it, but I think I have something.

Ingram Pattern Bolter
At some point in M38 Warden Techmarine Ingram happened upon an ancient STC file while investigating fragments of the ruined Space Hulk that had crashed to Delamar during the "Skyfall" event. With it he quickly passed the data over into the possession of the Mechanicus of a neighboring Forge-World. The result was a unique pattern of bolt pistol with single chambers, modified to hold heavy bolter rounds. In gratitude for their continued partnership, the Adepts granted the weapon, now designated as the "Ingram-Pattern", to the Star Wardens chapter. They continue to produce these pistols to the present era, although in smaller quantities as the necessary resources required are of a high manufacturing cost. The Ingram's design provides the wielder with higher stopping-power as well as reliable speed, but because they are in rather short supply the more common bolt pistol remains standard issue. Still, the Wardens share an affinity with the Ingram, adopting it as a symbol of their homeworld - it is considered a great honor and a recognition of one's ballistic skill to be granted one.

Looks good

So I know that people were suggesting maybe messing with the color scheme a bit to reflect more of a grit "cowboy" feel.

These two schemes I think I like more, taking the light silver I'd been working with before and making it duller into more a gray or steel color. Also making it more predominant on their armor - they keep the shoulder with their chapter livery blue to show their reverence for their heritage with the Eagle Warriors, and by extension the Ultramarines. Trim along the pauldrons indicates company color.

http://i.imgur.com/mKYv8tB.png

http://i.imgur.com/UoUo27Y.png

Gray may be better, reflecting the uniforms of West Point cadets (or Confederate soldiers, as others have advocated). Alternately, a bright white that's dulled with dust and other weathering, reflecting what really happens to once bright clothing in the harsh environment of the frontier. (I can already hear an Ultramarines officer berating the Wardens to "Wear your colors with pride!" only for the latter to interrupt him with "We work for a living! You stupid city slickers spend more time polishing your armor than fighting in them." Cue honor duel.)

Think I'm'a go with the gray then. Works better that way. (Kind of took the initial idea off the Astral Claws, don't want to ape them entirely.)

Also came up with a little index title card image - I've already placed it at the top of the entry.

http://i.imgur.com/VPJdCf8.jpg

The additional artwork is well-chosen. I especially like the Lone Ranger.

Question: Do the Star Wardens have squads of "Rangers," as opposed to Lone Rangers? If so, what roles do they serve on the battlefield? As Scout Veterans (comparable to Space Wolves Wolf Scouts)? As Honor Guards (comparable to Space Wolves Wolf Guard or Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, which many Lone Wolves become if they both succeed in claiming vengeance and survive the experience)?

The additional artwork is well-chosen. I especially like the Lone Ranger.

Question: Do the Star Wardens have squads of "Rangers," as opposed to Lone Rangers? If so, what roles do they serve on the battlefield? As Scout Veterans (comparable to Space Wolves Wolf Scouts)? As Honor Guards (comparable to Space Wolves Wolf Guard or Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, which many Lone Wolves become if they both succeed in claiming vengeance and survive the experience)?

Heh. I'll admit I couldn't resist. Chances are though that the current image will be a placeholder until I get a 'proper' picture of a Lone Ranger.

And no, I didn't really have anything for an actual "Ranger" squad. Early on I had wanted to use the word as a unique term for my Scouts, but most of those ideas I've kind of dropped already.

You might as well have the Chapter planet's natives tell legends of "The Lone Ranger" who wandered the deserts after the Skyfall, bringing the Emperor's justice to Chaos cultists and all evildoers, to explain why certain Star Wardens refer to themselves as "Lone Rangers."

Sorry about the double-post, just been find myself hitting the creative wall a bit. Not sure what bit of the fluff to work on next or expand, and I'd like to try and keep the momentum I had on this going 'til it feels a bit more complete.

What does everyone recommend I should focus on? What would people like to see next?

History, i.e., battles in which the Wardens' "cowboy" tactics (including seemingly reckless charges and a trigger-happy attitude) allow your Chapter to win; and famous Lone Rangers whose courage either immortalized their sacrifices, or acclaimed their qualities and won them honored positions in the Honor Guard.

Well, I had a few ideas kicking around for major events and the like. Just need some fleshing out.

One I had was for like an armed rebellion on an Imperial world that the Chapter is called in to put down, and leading the charge was Gaetan Archambault and that his service during the event would be what would lead him to becoming the current Chapter Master. Not sure whether to make the revolt homegrown or something engineered by like a Chaos cult infiltrating for some reason.

Other was something of an original thought I had started out when I began all this - at some point in most recent history an errant rok happened to crash on Delamar and an Ork Waaagh! attempted an invasion of the planet. This is at a time when most of the chapter's forces are off-world fulfilling other obligations, so what's left basically are some of the reserve and most of the scout companies. Essentially it ends with this sergeant character I'm in the process of writing up on organizing their ground forces to just keep harassing the Orks so that they end up leading them through the desert wastes and into the Great Divide so that when they reach the Defiance garrison, the trap gets sprung and the greentide gets decimated by the gun emplacements along the canyon edge and wall, with mounted infantry rolling in to cut off and finish most of the horde while they try to escape. The few remaining Orks go feral and are hunted down by marine and militia alike, and the sergeant is promoted to a Captain.

There is one more idea I had, albeit a bit more... heretical?

Basically, a demi-company of Wardens is fighting a protracted war with some Tau on a world that they were trying to bring into their territory. Both sides are for the most part even, though they have taken some significant hits when THEY awaken. Yeah, turns out the planet is a Necron tomb world and the skeleys decimate the already weakened armies. Basically I want to set this up for this image I've had playing out in my head of a scenario similar to the trailer for TF2 Mann vs Machine where the few surviving Marines and Tau Fire Warriors, who'd previously been fighting tooth and nail before, spend their last moments to unite and take on the approaching horde, Butch and Sundance style.

All good ideas. As for the rebellion, rebels may have legitimate reasons to rebel (see Herman von Strab, former governor of Armageddon, whose incompetence almost cost Imperial forces the planet itself), but Chaos cults will certainly take advantage of the... well... chaos a rebellion brings. Even if no Chaos cults are involved, Imperial propaganda will certainly portray the rebels as such, to deny the rebels allies and discourage others from joining the rebellion.

This I wanted to get out of the way first 'cause it was the one primarily on my mind at the moment.

The Crossroads Massacre (ca. 978.M41) – On the Frontier World of Crossroads, elements of the Star Wardens' 7th and scout companies deployed to oversee its development found themselves soon staring down an invasion of Tau forces looking to claim the planet as part of their empire. Word was quickly sent to Chapter Command, and in response a compliment of squads from the 3rd and 7th companies were deployed to support their brethren. The ensuing conflict carried on with neither Astartes or Tau gaining significant ground – though Fire Warrior teams certainly were capable of out-gunning them from a far distance, the Wardens' mounted infantry and use of hit-and-run tactics proved effective in tearing open pockets within the defensive buffer made up by the Tau auxiliaries. Though equally matched, both sides began to suffer from gradual damage and losses, which left none prepared for when they awoke.

From beneath the arid plains, a horde of Necron warriors broke to the surface and began to wade heavily into the already weakened units of the assembled Marine companies and Tau Cadre. The survivors of both factions from the initial attack were forced into retreat among now abandoned building settlements, communications with their respective forces cut-off by sudden atmospheric interference engineered by the Necrons. With the encroaching army of mechanical revenants slowly drawing near, the remaining squads of Astartes and Fire Warrior teams approached one another with a mutual desire for cooperation. In their final moments, the members of the Star Wardens re-armed and bolstered themselves to fight alongside the Tau in a last, defiant charge against the deathless horrors that would claim them all. By the time that ships of the chapter fleet arrived to investigate the sudden silence from their battle-brothers, they found only death waiting for them. An ensuing campaign followed to exterminate the remaining Necron presence on Crossroads before their tomb network could fully reactivate itself, and in the aftermath of which those battle companies that had touched down were left accept the cold reality that none of their brothers had seemed to survive. After collecting what little gene-seed could be salvaged from the fallen, the Star Wardens returned to the Watchtower on Augusta to commemorate and record the names of each brother lost in the House of the Risen Sun.

How's this look?

Edited by InAction

Hey, got another entry for the history books - this time early history.

Waaagh! Hellwakkah (ca. 099.M38) – Early into the chapter's history, an Ork Waaagh! invaded an Imperial Mining World known as Huron III. Accompanied by their parent chapter, the Eagle Warriors, as well with support of the Tiger Claws, Theron Hawklight led three companies of the Star Wardens in a campaign against the greenskins. It proved a very taxing conflict, the orks having dug into the planet's mining facilities as bunkers and proliferation of Imperial heavy vehicles made for a surprisingly effective makeshift defense. Soon however it became clear what the true nature of this attack was as armored columns of xenos war machines soon began to march onto the battlefields. Warboss Hellwakkah was organizing his teams of Mekaniaks to convert Huron III into a massive manufactorum from which to stage an even greater Waaagh! Determined to put an end to the mad tyrant's plans of conquest, Theron formulated a plan of attack with his fellow commanders. With their mounted infantry dogging their encampments and operational centers, the Wardens drew the orks from out of hiding and into the waiting forces of their brother Astartes. Meanwhile, Theron and his honor guard took to infiltrating the head manufacturing facility to cripple its operations from within. It was then that they discovered Hellwakkah not out on the battlefield, but awaiting their arrival.

The Ork warboss was a true menace, overpowering even the chapter's best with seeming ease. With precious little time left to them, Theron ordered his remaining brothers to finish their assigned task while he kept their daunting foe busy. In truth the battle was more a chase, as the Warden Chapter Master led the enraged Hellwakkah deeper and deeper into the complex's inner-workings, while his men within the honor guard prepared the explosives that would detonate the plant's promethium refineries. Their labor done, the guard vacated the compound and grimly, as they were ordered, activated the charges. Upon hearing the explosions, Hellwakkah paused realizing too late he'd been misled, while the battered and bloodied body of Theron Hawklight charged at the beast in a grapple, teetering the ork along a rusted gantry and sending both plummeting into the boiling pool below them. In the end, the loss of both the facility and their overlord was enough to render the ork forces into chaotic shambles, leaving them easily routed and vanquished under the combined might of all three chapters. Though it was a major victory for the Star Wardens, it was marked by a most heavy cost.

Edited by InAction