Dark Imperium

Izlude

No wonder the 13th Black Crusade failed. Abaddon, Chief Lord of Unreality, Master of the End Times, Despoiler of Worlds waited ten thousand years to ritually unleash his forces on the Imperium, only to do so a century too early because of some rounding errors in Imperial records. That is why Guilliman was able to awaken and halt his plans. 

Question about how Guilliman's impression of the Emperor's view:

Could it be possible that this view is what the Emperor wanted Guilliman to see, rather than an accurate view?

The reason i ask is because each of the beings that communicated with the Emperor in Master of Mankind heard the message in the format that best met their perspective.

So maybe here the Emperor wants Guilliman pissed and angry at the state of the Imperium, because that will allow Guilliman to enact the changes that are so needed?

If the Emperor thought Guilliman would be best motivated with daddy's love, Guilliman would have left the encounter feeling loved.

From my perspective, how the Emperor actually feels is still a mystery.

Question about how Guilliman's impression of the Emperor's view:

Could it be possible that this view is what the Emperor wanted Guilliman to see, rather than an accurate view?

The reason i ask is because each of the beings that communicated with the Emperor in Master of Mankind heard the message in the format that best met their perspective.

So maybe here the Emperor wants Guilliman pissed and angry at the state of the Imperium, because that will allow Guilliman to enact the changes that are so needed?

If the Emperor thought Guilliman would be best motivated with daddy's love, Guilliman would have left the encounter feeling loved.

From my perspective, how the Emperor actually feels is still a mystery.

More to the point, maybe The Emperor is so direly injured and withered that he's incapable of any kind of real subtlety or personal communication anymore? I don't see The Emperor as some kind of active God, but now so haggard and near dead that he's essentially acting on auto-pilot with what he does: providing the Astronomicon being chief among them. Essentially nothing more than a bio-machine with prodigious psychic powers shackled to a life support chair.

Bought it, and so far, not regretting it. Fulgrim is awesome, and I like Haley's Guilliman as well. It definitely has an edge of 'I'll explain X a little more because we want new people to get into it,' but it's quality writing from Haley as usual.

For the AoS followers, some maggoths appear in the hordes too.

This pleases me immensely. I'll have to pick one or two up to field alongside my Death Guard in the future.

Ok so plenty has been covered so far, but I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Lost Legion material.

Not only do we have Cawl having already made some Primarii from the traitor/lost legion geneseed, but do we have a character from that Legion at the end?

The final battle is against the daemon who calls himself, "Qaramar of the Lost Second." Now, that could certainly be read as another title having to do with time (all the clocks and other Nurgle symbolism), but it could also be that this is a guy who was taken from the one of the Lost Legions.

Could someone clarify it, please?

As I've understood it (via various posts) does Cawl want to use traitor and lost geneseed but RG forbade it. Is that correct or do we really have traitor and / or lost Primaris already?

Why not read the book?

This is how 40K wiki and other ridiculous urban legends get started.  It seems only 5% of the fanbase actually reads the background, the rest just throw together rough summaries from the internet, and then defend their half-formed assumptions to the death.

I thought that mentality only applied to the rules. ;)

As I've understood it (via various posts) does Cawl want to use traitor and lost geneseed but RG forbade it. Is that correct or do we really have traitor and / or lost Primaris already?

Cawl has certainly experimented with the implantation of geneseed from the lost and traitor Legions and is confident enough in his results to request on numerous occasions that Guilliman allow him to put Primaris lines based on their stock into full production. He's definitely produced something resembling viable Primaris Marines from their stock as he comments on the absence of "...unwelcome tendencies within the recipients."

Guilliman has refused him at every asking and seems unlikely to change his mind.

Would love to read the book but amazon doesn't provide it. Or at least I can't find it. ^^

Just wanted to be clear in order to negate such false allegations like you've mentioned, Withershadow. :)

Thanks, DC.

But it's currently only available as a paperback pre purchase. Most likely will they upload the e-book format in the next days.

Guilliman does not come across as a Mary Sue in this...at all

Blinded by rage or righteous indignation or whatnot, Guilliman (at the head of his UM + successor fleet) chases Fulgrim into an ambush.

After realising his mistake, instead of cutting his losses and executing a fighting withdrawal, he compounds his mistake by ignoring his captains' counsel and attempting a desperate boarding action with the goal of slaying Fulgrim.

This ends in catastrophe and Guilliman is placed in a stasis field (after Daemon snake-thing Fulgrim utterly dominates him in a lop-sided duel).

Guilliman's memories just prior to stasis are of bitter, utter failure.

Seems Haley is breaking Guilliman down to build him back up.

Guilliman does not come across as a Mary Sue in this...at all

Blinded by rage or righteous indignation or whatnot, Guilliman (at the head of his UM + successor fleet) chases Fulgrim into an ambush.

After realising his mistake, instead of cutting his losses and executing a fighting withdrawal, he compounds his mistake by ignoring his captains' counsel and attempting a desperate boarding action with the goal of slaying Fulgrim.

This ends in catastrophe and Guilliman is placed in a stasis field (after Daemon snake-thing Fulgrim utterly dominates him in a lop-sided duel).

Guilliman's memories just prior to stasis are of bitter, utter failure.

Seems Haley is breaking Guilliman down to build him back up.

Hopefully he can rescue his character after Annandale playing to the boring sterotype. I never wanted to read Gulliman again after the primarchs book.

I'm honestly surprised at the whole stereotypical-Guilliman-in-Primarchs thing. Wasn't that pretty much the point? Showing the Primarchs in their early days, showing how they used to be or what made them what they are? Where, if not there, is it perfectly reasonable to see a Primarch in his "stereotypical" incarnation?

The series was never going to give you earthshattering revelations that would make the characters do a 180° turn. They were supposed to capture their essence and some of their conflicts.

Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar did that. He is a bureaucrat caught between being a pragmatic warleader and an idealistic warrior. It showcases how his idealistic streak sometimes stands clear in the way of what he, pragmatically, needs to do to achieve victory. It showcases some of his inherent hypocrisy, too, telling his sons that one day they'll need to get by without him while at the same time arguing that he alone can do what needs to be done. It even shows him chafing at the way the Emperor ordered him and the XIII to humble Lorgar and co.

Yes, it is still wrapped in a battle-heavy action novel, but Guilliman is far better depicted than people give Annandale credit for.

Calgar will be pushing what? 8-900 years old now that this is a hundred years after the 13th Black Crusade

golly gee!

I'm honestly surprised at the whole stereotypical-Guilliman-in-Primarchs thing. Wasn't that pretty much the point? Showing the Primarchs in their early days, showing how they used to be or what made them what they are? Where, if not there, is it perfectly reasonable to see a Primarch in his "stereotypical" incarnation?

The series was never going to give you earthshattering revelations that would make the characters do a 180° turn. They were supposed to capture their essence and some of their conflicts.

Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar did that. He is a bureaucrat caught between being a pragmatic warleader and an idealistic warrior. It showcases how his idealistic streak sometimes stands clear in the way of what he, pragmatically, needs to do to achieve victory. It showcases some of his inherent hypocrisy, too, telling his sons that one day they'll need to get by without him while at the same time arguing that he alone can do what needs to be done. It even shows him chafing at the way the Emperor ordered him and the XIII to humble Lorgar and co.

Yes, it is still wrapped in a battle-heavy action novel, but Guilliman is far better depicted than people give Annandale credit for.

wow huh.png I agree with every word DC said yes.gif

Archived