The new Dark Imperium novel

DogWelder

The novel was pretty fantastic and I'm looking forward to the next one :-)

Some really great moments in the book, the final chapters were thrilling.

I found the way Marneus Calgar felt to be unusual - He seems to have developed little guy syndrome. Guilliman has not insulted or belittled him - he even recognises his abilities and contributions to Ultramar.

Calgar is comparing himself to the Primarch in his mind and it's making his past accomplishments seem lesser.

It's taking away from his character significantly in my eyes. To me he was someone who ruled out of duty and honour, but he appears more human and petty now :-(

I think the devil's in the details when looking at this. Guilliman basically said "Ultramar is crumbling. So I will shore up its defenses raise it up higher than it has ever been in the last 10k years"

Considering that Calgar is the most recent Lord of Maccrage, in his mind he is responsible for Ultramar crumbling. He is responsible for the fact that the Black Legion managed to get to the very foot of Guilliman's shrine, he is responsible for the forces of Nurgle slowly winning the Plague Wars (before Guilliman came).  

Calgar told himself he was doing his best holding off the traitors but if Guilliman regained the initiative for the Ultramarines and already started coming up with concrete plans for a counter-attack that would turn the war on its head...then does that mean Calgar wasn't really doing his best? Does that mean he could have clearly done better?

If Guilliman can raise Ultramar up to be higher than it ever was, then does that mean Calgar was keeping it in a sub-standard state before his primarch returned?

I found the way Marneus Calgar felt to be unusual - He seems to have developed little guy syndrome. Guilliman has not insulted or belittled him - he even recognises his abilities and contributions to Ultramar.

Calgar is comparing himself to the Primarch in his mind and it's making his past accomplishments seem lesser.

It's taking away from his character significantly in my eyes. To me he was someone who ruled out of duty and honour, but he appears more human and petty now :-(

I think the devil's in the details when looking at this. Guilliman basically said "Ultramar is crumbling. So I will shore up its defenses raise it up higher than it has ever been in the last 10k years"

Considering that Calgar is the most recent Lord of Maccrage, in his mind he is responsible for Ultramar crumbling. He is responsible for the fact that the Black Legion managed to get to the very foot of Guilliman's shrine, he is responsible for the forces of Nurgle slowly winning the Plague Wars (before Guilliman came).  

Calgar told himself he was doing his best holding off the traitors but if Guilliman regained the initiative for the Ultramarines and already started coming up with concrete plans for a counter-attack that would turn the war on its head...then does that mean Calgar wasn't really doing his best? Does that mean he could have clearly done better?

If Guilliman can raise Ultramar up to be higher than it ever was, then does that mean Calgar was keeping it in a sub-standard state before his primarch returned?

But any rational man would realise that he's comparing himself to a demigod. He can't be expected to be on the same level as Guilliman. Calgar has done pretty damn well with 1,000 ultramarines, especially in light of recent threats such as the Tyranids, Necrons, and the Tau emerging ON TOP of the "old" threats of Chaos, Eldar and Orks. The Ultramarines have been running themselves ragged holding the Imperium together as it is ever more under threat, and have been the targets of repeated targeted assaults because of their prominent position.

M'kar had a personal vendetta, and Abaddon attacked specifically to stop Guilliman being revived.

Calgar is keeping Ultramar going as well as a Chapter Master can. Guilliman will obviously be operating at a whole new level - the same as the rest of the Imperium is openly acknowledged to have been in decline since the Heresy, so for Calgar to do as well as he has is still pretty damn impressive - but also Ultramar had a higher "starting point" to decline from. Also: Guilliman had a whole legion (the LARGEST legion at that) pre-Heresy to ensure the smooth running of Ultramar. Calgar has less than a twentieth of that number of Marines. Ultimately, Calgar just needs to remember that he's not a Primarch, so holding himself to that standard is utterly unworkable.

But any rational man would realise that he's comparing himself to a demigod. He can't be expected to be on the same level as Guilliman. Calgar has done pretty damn well with 1,000 ultramarines, especially in light of recent threats such as the Tyranids, Necrons, and the Tau emerging ON TOP of the "old" threats of Chaos, Eldar and Orks. The Ultramarines have been running themselves ragged holding the Imperium together as it is ever more under threat, and have been the targets of repeated targeted assaults because of their prominent position.

M'kar had a personal vendetta, and Abaddon attacked specifically to stop Guilliman being revived.

Calgar is keeping Ultramar going as well as a Chapter Master can. Guilliman will obviously be operating at a whole new level - the same as the rest of the Imperium is openly acknowledged to have been in decline since the Heresy, so for Calgar to do as well as he has is still pretty damn impressive - but also Ultramar had a higher "starting point" to decline from. Also: Guilliman had a whole legion (the LARGEST legion at that) pre-Heresy to ensure the smooth running of Ultramar. Calgar has less than a twentieth of that number of Marines. Ultimately, Calgar just needs to remember that he's not a Primarch, so holding himself to that standard is utterly unworkable.

That is sorta the point though.  Calgar is used to being the big dog in the Ultramarine field.  But now he has something to look up too.  He strives to be as good has his primarch (arrogant, perhaps).  Even when Guilliman tells Calgar that he is not a primarch, Calgar still feels like he let his primarch down. 

Calgar hasn't found his stride as the Lord Defender yet. It is my hope that more time with the Primarch will refine Calgar to have the wisdom of Gage.

• 3 weeks later...

I see now why people where people were upset at the declaration of Guilliman's Indomnitus Crusade ending.... but I think it's because they didn't understand what the Indomnitus Crusade meant. It didn't mean "the Imperium wins" and all is good in the universe... it's simply a phase in a larger plan. I think people jumping all over that statement has been a bit premature.

Primaris:

Also something interesting I learned about Primaris that I think either a lot of people don't realize, or just skipped on is the age of some of these guys. The experiment started a loooong time ago. Some people seem to believe this idea of Primaris started the moment Guilliman was revived which is pretty misguided.

There is clear references to Primaris that have lived, and known the Imperium as entirely faithful! Some of these captains do have experience, and a fair amount of it. I'm surprised Captain Felix did not make it to the Codex, but perhaps in the future.

It is pretty interesting to read how Guilliman and Felix interact.... almost a sense of nostalgia hits Roboute and it is reflected in his interactions with Felix.

The Primaris in general are now forming companies, or joining other chapters and some of them are quite a mixed breed. You have BA, SW, UM, etc... all mingling to interesting effect. I think it was interesting seeing the experiment.

On the war:

I don't think Chaos is treated lightly here. There is a feeling that Mortarion is baiting Guilliman, and Guilliman knows it. In order to do this though it means Mortarion has extended himself, and his forces deep into the heart of one of the most protected systems in the Imperium. There is no way it's going to result in a huge defeat of Ultramar. Yet the Death Guard do a heck of a job threatening surrounding systems and putting quite a gash deep into Ultramar. I don't think that is to be looked on likely.

Cawl and Guillman:

Another very cool interaction and Cawl is definitely pushing an agenda.The 'Cawl Inferior" is quite an interesting device that leaves some story lines in the making quite possible. (Is Cawl expendable?) The relationship between Cawl and Guilliman is quite interesting and feels somewhat unpredictable. The story mechanism of the Cawl Inferior was a pretty interesting invention.

I find as I near the end of the book I kind of don't want it to end. It's been a lot of fun exploring this particular timeline and seeing 'angry Guilliman' develop over time. :)