My alternate canon fix for Primaris Marines

In my head cannon, primaris are just the real adeptus astartes of old, unimpaired by 10,000 years of genetic decadence (since I don't think the Emperor planned on keeping them for long after the great crusade), and reforged through the knowledge and blood of a living Primarch and a pseudo heretic archmagos who was cast away after attempting the same feat during the cursed founding.

That's how I've solved all the lore inconsistency in my head.

They're not new, they're what astartes should have always been, both in size and rules, but was forgotten through the ripples of 10,000 years of war.

Oh, and I'm also considering making Cawl be in my head cannon in reality Arkhan Land, forced to augment himself to survive until his duty was fulfilled and changing his name to be able to work under the radar when he found the first traces of accelerated astartes geneseed deterioration. Dalia Cythera from Mechanicum would be a good choice too.

Edited by Grieux

In my head cannon, primaris are just the real adeptus astartes of old, unimpaired by 10,000 years of genetic decadence (since I don't think the Emperor planned on keeping them for long after the great crusade), and reforged through the knowledge and blood of a living Primarch and a pseudo heretic archmagos who was cast away after attempting the same feat during the cursed founding.

They're not new, they're what astartes should have always been, both in size and rules, but was forgotten through the ripples of 10,000 years of war.

Oh, and I'm also considering making Cawl be in my head cannon in reality Arkhan Land, forced to augment himself to survive until his duty was fulfilled and changing his name to be able to work under the radar when he found the first traces of accelerated astartes geneseed deterioration. Dalia Cythera from Mechanicum would be a good choice too.

Interesting.  However, Dalia is guarding the Dragon of Mars, whatever it turns out to be, at least the last time I read anything about her.

Fun thought about Arkhan Land though.  Going from finding the STCs for Speeders and Raiders to tinkering with Geneseed and building legions of hidden Astartes.  I'm guessing he got the Primarch blood before they all disappeared/died?

Tying Cawl into the Cursed Founding is a great idea...  Though, I am wondering how that would have worked if he already had a legion or so's worth of Primaris already in his basement.  Didn't the fluff say he had been building numbers for 10,000 years?  I'm guessing the first ones would have been kept in stasis along with any others that followed until Guilliman turned up and let them out of the basement.

----------------------

Personally, I'm kind of thinking that they are just rescaled models, and I might possibly just use Primaris stats for my normal marines.  I'm having a real hard time trying to fit the Primaris into the existing lore set in the 40K setting.  Moving the clock forwards to M42 might possibly have been a better option.

I really like those ideas, some great thinking there. :tu:

I especially like the Land idea, that's a nice twist.

Personally, I'm kind of thinking that they are just rescaled models, and I might possibly just use Primaris stats for my normal marines.  I'm having a real hard time trying to fit the Primaris into the existing lore set in the 40K setting.  Moving the clock forwards to M42 might possibly have been a better option.

That's a great idea mate. It's something I was thinking of as well, use the new stuff for a better representation of the standard marines. :tu:

Thanks mate. I really think there is space and time to rectify the poor quality fluff that's been delivered thus far (read all the gathering storm books and all the new nuggets, so I know as much that there's to be known for the moment, which may be not much), but they really need to hand this over to a professional writer to create the fluff that's going to be with us for the next ten years. It is a tall order to advance the fluff written by that wonderful 80s team and converted in myth by our prepubescent minds in the early 90s and taken as dogma in our early thirties, so I would definitely ask someone of the height of A-D-B, John French or Dan Abnett to take it from here and deliver a good fluff base for us to play on it as a sandbox once more.

At the moment the writing quality in the Gathering Storm trilogy is underwhelming, bland, superficial and full of tropes, and the rumors coming out from the primaris marine lore are lackluster too in terms of how unimaginative, deus ex machina and generally against the grimdark setting they are. For me and many, Grimdark is the exemplification of a 10,000 years protracted fight with humanity at it's loosing end since Horus turned Rogue and with a big clock ticking slowly and steadily towards the hour in which humanity will finally yield and become archaeology for a new species to discover millions of years into the future. Guilliman waking up, teaming up with a magos that has no ties (right now) into our beloved lore and delivering all these advances with no struggle on the span of a year is completely anti-Grimdark.

So please, A-D-B, take it from here and hit us hard with such an amazing lore interlinked to all the fantasies that have haunted us for the last 30 years that we'll have no further option than going to the stores like an army of drones to buy buckets of Primaris Marines.

Please, A-D-B, you're our only hope.

Edited by Grieux

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, close to my own head canon in fact, they are what the Emperor planned to be the SM's but had to change to the current SM's out of the need to make a lot of them quickly.

Cawl hasn't been improving on the Emperors work instead spending 10K+ (since we know it might be M41 or M42 that we've been playing in) years trying to decipher the plans and set up the infrastructure to make them such as Geneseed farming for 5K years to get the numbers needed.