Cost Efficiency and varied armour marks

bluntpencil

So, I've put in an order to Anvil Industries for some sniper rifles with which to represent Stalker Bolters.

I plan on having a Terminator unit at some point, and they come with tons of Deathwatch shoulder pads...

Should I buy a Space Marine Tactical Squad to wear the spare pads from the Terminator box, instead of spending twice as much on a 10 man Kill-Team?

if you're going to get DW Terminators eventually, then I recommend buying them soon. Most of the DW boxes are being discontinued and will only be available until existing stocks last.

For the regular Veterans, it'll depend on what look and loadout you want. DW Veteran models are different from SM Tacticals, and the box comes with different weapons.

DW box (5 models): 1xCombi,1xIHB, 1xFC, 2x shotguns, Power Swords and Mauls

SM box (10 models): 1x Plasma/Melta/Grav gun, 1x Combi. very few melee bits

SM box (10 models): 1x Plasma/Melta/Grav gun, 1x Combi. very few melee bits

You get 3x PA power sword on upgrade sprues in Termie box though, and swords look like they will be the king now.

I think single Tactical box can be combined with good effect with the DW termies, you get a lot of DW helmets and breastplates inside to spice them up.

I just realised that the Start Collecting box comes with an upgrade set.

Going to buy a Start Collecting, a Tactical Squad, and use them with the sniper rifles I got. They don't need the little scanner things on the arms anyway, what with the awesome scopes the rifles have. :D

I just realised that the Start Collecting box comes with an upgrade set.

Yes, it's for the dreadnought, as it lacks DW bling. See the example one they painted, normal flat panels + 3x DW icons from upgrade sprue.

Also, if you're going to buy tactical squad, it's much more efficient cost-wise to get BA or DA tacticals + Rhino, not only lots of extra bits to spice up DW but Rhino itself is almost free...

Okay, decided on the list I'm going to build:

4 Characters:

Black Shield Captain (Count as Artemis)

Mantis Warrior Ancient (Count as Captain with Jump Pack)

Executioner Chaplain (Count as Captain with Jump Pack)

Lamenter Librarian (Librarian)

For Troops:

1 Veteran Squad with 2 Infernus

1 Veteran Squad with 2 Frags

2 Veteran Squads with 5 Stalkers each

Elites:

1 Vanguard Squad with Hammers (both kinds) and shields

1 Vanguard squad with chainswords and 1 pair of lightning claws

Fast Attack:

2 Bike Squads with 5 bikes and power weapons.

Dedicated Transports: 2 Razorbacks

--

Exactly 40 Marines plus characters. The Sergeants in the Bike Squads and Vanguard Squads will be replaced by Black Shields, counting as Sergeants, so that the Watch Company has only 4 Sergeants, and I'll say they are combat squadded.

Now, if I'm smart, I can save money and get the bits I need...

I get the Start Collecting box, that gets me my Captain and 2 Kill-Team Units. A Tactical Squad gets me 2 more Kill-Teams. Hopefully someone would be happy to trade the Dread for a Razorback (!).

2 Bike boxes, one Vanguard box, a Sevrin Loth set (for the Librarian, the Ancient, as well as 4 more guys.). 2 Sets of Jump Packs.

One Chaplain. One or two Razorbacks, and one more Space Marine, which I can probably trade bits to get.

--

Any suggestions to make this more efficient money-wise?

You can replace one Vanguard box with BA death company, much cheaper jump marines but equally ornate with several pads making good obscure chapters (Chalice for Soul Drinkers for one). You'd need to mix them a bit with tacticals to spread the ornamentation around but that will spice up both boxes.

As for razorback/chaplain/command squad, there is always this:

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/11/2569/large-Space%20Marine%20Reclusiam%20Command%20Squad.jpg

Good shout!

I'm thinking for my 4 characters, to stay truer to Deathwatch, to drop the Ancient, and have two Jump Pack Librarians (they'll use their own Chapter keyword, but it won't matter), and let the Captain and the Chaplain ride in the Razorbacks.

Another option would be a Biker Librarian, but I don't really fancy doing the conversion.

Archived