Changes to Space Marine Chapter Organisation

Robbienw

The upgrades will come later, probably after chapter specific models are released.

So you are of the opinion that we will have Primaris Grey Hunters Packs once the models are released? Or Primaris Death Company since there will ultimately be Primaris Blood Angels that eventually succumb to the visions?

I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I would like you to invest in.

The upgrades will come later, probably after chapter specific models are released.

So you are of the opinion that we will have Primaris Grey Hunters Packs once the models are released? Or Primaris Death Company since there will ultimately be Primaris Blood Angels that eventually succumb to the visions?

Uh, why wouldnt they? This is a model line reboot first and foremost (I hope!) the fluff is just placeholder for now.

Man already saw some as grey hunters they looked so plain . keyword for that is <YUCK>

I would think most Chapters would send off volunteers for Primaris upgrade and then use them as squad leaders for their Brand new PSMs. They then teach Chapter doctrine and rules to the newbies while keeping an eye on them. Getting around the SW cultural upbringing will be a bit harder, but nothing a good author couldn't work out.

Exactly what Brother Antipodes said.

And I don't think that a Primaris chapter will only consist of 5 man squads of these new types. We will still have Devastor, Tactical, Assault squads and so on. Just as Primaris marines.

Everything else doesn't make any sense at all.

everyone's fully aware that's what's coming, so ... 

pray, tell, do you think differently?

Do you think normalstartes are going to be still created? 

Do you have a guarantee on that, or are you just too emotionally invested in normalstartes to discount the idea that our toys are being removed from active service?

Go talk to your local store, your local sales rep, hell go to WHW in nottingham, get an interview for a pod cast with the designers, if you get, from any of them, a sentence that objectively cannot be construed as double-speak guaranteeing that normalstartes will remain on the shelves and wont be replaced, you can have a "like".

Good luck, Frater. 

everyone's fully aware that's what's coming, so ...

pray, tell, do you think differently?

Do you think normalstartes are going to be still created?

Do you have a guarantee on that, or are you just too emotionally invested in normalstartes to discount the idea that our toys are being removed from active service?

Go talk to your local store, your local sales rep, hell go to WHW in nottingham, get an interview for a pod cast with the designers, if you get, from any of them, a sentence that objectively cannot be construed as double-speak guaranteeing that normalstartes will remain on the shelves and wont be replaced, you can have a "like".

Good luck, Frater.

You seem to be misled by your own snark.

I would have much preferred that GW had just replaced the entire SM line with Primaris sized models right now and not interject this idiotic Ultima Founding crap in the first place.

I have no emotional attachment to my extensive standard size SW army and if any kits are put out by GW or a third party company that has Primaris sized CCW, special weapons, and heavy weapons I would "Primarisized" my entire SW army and just play them with the SW army rules of 8th, but with Primaris size only.

My point is you WON'T see Primaris Grey Hunters or Death Company. The Primaris stat line and gear options are offset by their smaller unit sizes and limited roles. But you think that GH, who many consider one of the best Troop options in the game, are going to get the Primaris stat line and gear options, but with none of the balancing issues that Primaris have?

Ocean front. Arizona. Give me your money.

Which basically means we have Intercessor Squads painted grey.

If SW retain Counterattack for example and a Primaris Intercessor Squad has keyword SW, what exactly did that add to a unit completely unsuited for assault? I mean even Long Fangs could get in there and mix it up in Assault with Counterattack but GW said that Primaris would need dedicated assault units to support them.

But I digress, there won't be GH or BC Primaris models because their specific rules combined with the Primaris stats and gear options would make them far overpowered and more than likely overpriced.

This was in one of the pages of the Dark Angels rules from the recent leaks.

"Eager not to draw attention, the Dark Angels follow the guidelines of the Codex Astartes, and yet they have petitioned to maintain their two unique fighting companies – the highly mobile 2nd Company (known as the Ravenwing) and the terminator armoured squads of the 1st Company (known as the Deathwing). Given the desperate circumstances of the torn and benighted galaxy, as well as the aforementioned companies’ service records of excellence, the returned Primarch Roboute Guilliman granted such rights even as the Dark Angels and their successor Chapters began reorganizing themselves to fit the dictates of the Ultima Founding"

I wonder what this means for Chapter organisation in the fluff in the new edition in the post-gathering storm era.

Obviously part of it will be adding in the Primaris Marines. But I wonder if it will affect other aspects of Chapter organisation? Such as the mix of squad types and number of Marines per company, and number per Chapter.

Very interesting!

Old Roboute would have been aware of the original 1st legion organization and the Hexagrammaton (the six wings of the old legion) So he was willing to make concessions to the Dark Angels and Successor chapters.

Which basically means we have Intercessor Squads painted grey.

If SW retain Counterattack for example and a Primaris Intercessor Squad has keyword SW, what exactly did that add to a unit completely unsuited for assault? I mean even Long Fangs could get in there and mix it up in Assault with Counterattack but GW said that Primaris would need dedicated assault units to support them.

But I digress, there won't be GH or BC Primaris models because their specific rules combined with the Primaris stats and gear options would make them far overpowered and more than likely overpriced.

As long as we get a SW kit I'll be a happy man and just use them as normal marines in a better scale.

An essential part of the Wolves is the Fenrisian culture in which they are recruited. Russ adopted full recruitment from Fenris and Fenris alone once united with his Legion of Terran born Wolves and essentially let attrition ultimately reduce the Terran SW to zero.

Note that this has nothing to do with the supposed genetic compatibility of Russ' geneseed with Fenrisians, JUST the cultural aspect.

So we have Primaris "Wolves" that have never experienced life as a mortal on the deathworld of Fenris and RG is expecting the Wolves to just up and accept them. Yes it happened with the Terran Wolves during the Heresy but that was under the tutelage of Russ AND the Terran Wolves adopted the fighting style of the Russ had established with his Fenrisian kin. They didn't come in and force and the introduction of Primaris organization or Tactica.

Even if we look at the supposed "upgrade" of existing Wolves to Primaris, then we are expecting veteran Wolves who have fought like Russ intended for their entire lifetime as a SW to just suddenly embrace being a Primaris Marine in a 5 man squad, with only a bolt rifle and bolt pistol?

So the future of all non-codex compliant chapters will now have generic Primaris "codex" compliant units in them. The only difference will be what individual chapter keyword rules the Primaris will have. RG basically gets the last laugh in pushing his new codex Primaris Marines on all chapters in the exact Squad size, equipment, and tactics they will employ by his design.

I could be wrong  but in Scars they mentioned a space wolves legionary that was recruited from Midgardia, So I guess russ was not that picky. Especially after the scale of losses suffered during the Great Crusade.

Archived