New Rough Riders

It's a shame we still can't take sniper rifles. I wanted to model some with hunting rifles. They wouldn't be medically effective but they'd look cool. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

I have one squad with melta guns and I was planning to do a second squad with flamers, as in seventh edition they could've ridden to a good spot around the back of an enemy unit and used their flamers to hit characters or heavy weapons but with in eight edition the opponent choosing who gets hit it doesn't matter so much anymore...perhaps a second squad with melta then.

I think Plasma Guns will be the weapon of choice, given their unique deployment the 1 shot at 24"/2 at 12" for only 7 points seems pretty fantastic.

++EDIT++

Withershadow, on 05 Jun 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

It's not all bad, you can mitigate battleshock just by keeping the units at minimum size.  54 points for 5 dudes with a power lance on the Sgt, it's easy to take three units and fulfill the FA requirement for the 9 command point detachment.  You can then also use those command points to further assist them.  With Creed as your Warlord, you're starting with 11 command points, and it's effortless for guard to squeeze in a small vanguard or heavy support detachment for an extra point.

I certainly feel like there are two ways to run Rough Riders right now, MSU units with a Power Weapon on the Sergeant to open up extra detachments as you say, or larger 10-man units with 2 Plasma Guns and a Plasma Pistol to flank and do reasonable amounts of damage - especially since you can fire the Plasma Guns and Charge nowadays, boosting the units damage against MEQ units. In a real pinch you can Overcharge as well, 2-wound T4 infantry and T7/8 vehicles are the choice targets then given how wounding works now.

Archived