I was inspired by  and their story Primaris and how the new Astartes might mesh so well with established Chapters. Where they chose the path of an aggressive, even hostile, takeover in the name of improvement of the Chapter I've gone the opposite way. I hope it's half as interesting as Caius' story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vokun Rah Primaris

Angels of Shadow Primaris

+++988.999.M41+++

+++Battle Barge Eclipse Drake, Angels of Shadow Chapter Taskforce Inkriid "Master Slayers"++

Astartes slowly filed out of the Chapel, the morning prayer having finished. High-Redemptionist Nosveratus stood at the ornate lectern, watching the members of the three Companies exit the cavernous space. Scattered throughout the crowd of armoured warriors were those who stood taller still than their brothers. They were those who had undergone the transformation into warriors classified as Primaris. A genetic improvement of Astartes, but if they were truly an improvement as brothers remained to be seen.

One of the Primaris brethren remained, his distinctively crested helm marking him out as one of the Lieutenants. The Fourth Company emblem displayed proudly upon his right kneepad. The sight of the lost Company of Orias still stung the hearts of Nosveratus.

When the two marines were all that remained Nosveratus beckoned the young Lieutenant to approach.

'Welcome Brother Tadakiel. To what do I owe the pleasure?' Nosveratus said with open arms.

'High-Redemptionist-' Tadakiel began but was quickly cut off.

'Are you here to receive punishment?' the Chaplain snapped.

'N-no High-' Tadakiel stammered, caught off guard.

'Then I am Brother Nosveratus to you,' he corrected, adopting a more soothing tone. 'Tell me what pains you, and remove your helm. Let us speak face to face.' Nosveratus nearly had to stifle a grin at his own choice of words with Tadakiel standing quite taller than the Chaplain.

Tadakiel did as he was asked, removing his helm and securing it to his belt. Instantly another difference was noticable, but one that Nosveratus was already well accustomed to. Where the Chaplain was ghostly pale, black haired and with piercing grey eyes as with all of this Chapter, the Primaris Lieutenant had a healthy colour to his flesh and blonde hair with gleaming green eyes. His appearance had not been affected by the quirks of the Angels of Shadow gene-stock but rather he had been created from pure...modified Dark Angels gene-seed.

'Brother-Nosveratus, I don't belong here.'

'Here? Was the Fourth Company not assigned to this taskforce? Did you get lost within the battle barge and end up in the Chapel by accident when morning prayer was scheduled? Speak plainly Brother. I am not here to judge, I am here to heal.'

'The Chapter. The Angels of Shadow. I don't belong here.'

Nosveratus tilted his head, his brow furrowed in puzzlement. 'Pray tell, how do you believe that?'

'Your Chapter is old. You've been fighting for The Emperor's realm since the Eleventh Founding. I am born of the Ultima Founding, the twenty-seventh such event. Whole Chapters have been formed of my kind. Here, standing beside brothers who have fought and bled for centuries I am a junior and yet I hold rank above many because the Lord Commander commanded it.

You have traditions. You have preferences. You have your own honour. All of which is as alien to me as your homeworld's language. It's...well to speak plainly it is all so unprofessional. We are tools of war and nothing more. We are soldiers. To see soldiers praying that a dragon...a beast...to protect them on the field of battle is just so wrong to me.'

'It was the folly of the Lord Commander to force any of the Primaris to hold positions of rank within established Chapters,' Nosveratus stated, with just a hint of annoyance. 'You hold an authority you did not earn over those who you deem different. Allow me to lay upon you the truth. YOU. ARE. MY. BROTHER!' the Chaplain boomed. 'YOU ARE AN ANGEL OF SHADOW!'

Tadkiel simply blinked, again caught by surprise in the Chaplain's change in demeanour. His eyes darted around the chapel, as if looking for the words he had so evidently lost.

'Tadakiel. Your folly is in thinking that the name Primaris makes you different. You are still an Astartes of this Chapter. Yes, you were created differently. I assure you that our first Chapter Master, Dardariel of the Angels of Absolution, when he was given command of our Chapter. By the order of another he too held rank over those who were similar and yet unlike himself. Still he commanded withthout doubt. If he had failed we would not be having this conversation.'

'Brother-Chaplain, I have studied your-'

'Our,' Nosveratus corrected.

'Our history,' Tadakiel said with a nod. 'I know the names of every Chapter Master from Dardariel to Nephlyre Phantomkin. I know their victories and their defeats. I know that Draconis Umbra ordered the culture of Invalice to be assimilated into the Chapter. I know that in the closing centuries of the thirty-fifth millennium that the Dark Masters restructured the Companies to better reflect the evolving style of the Angels of Shadow. I know where the Chapter came from, where it is and how it got there. What I am unable to understand is...how could I possibly fit in?'

Nosveratus smiled at his brother warmly. 'Ah Tadakiel, on that I will be no help. All I can say is this. You are Lieutenant Tadakiel of the Angels of Shadow, Fourth Company under Captain Sabrael. What that means can only be decided by yourself. Will you remain Primaris, forever separated from your brethren, or will you be Battle Brother?'

Nosveratus placed a gauntleted hand upon Tadakiel's breatsplate, right over his primary heart. 'Sometimes we need to go against the Codex and listen to our hearts rather than our head.' With that the High-Redemptionist left the Lieutenant alone in the Chapel.

Tadakiel looked upwards to the massive painting adorning the roof. A great golden eagle dominated the mural, symbolic of The Emperor. Upon the centre of the eagle was a emerald Lion, the roaring namesake of their Primarch. Within the Lion's fanged maw was a black dragon with silver wings, symbolising Draconis Umbra. Finally, as if carved into the flesh of the winged beast, shone the ivory skull over a single obsidian wing of the Angels of Absolution. The entire history of the Angels of Shadow stared down at the Lieutenant.

Thousands of years of culture, traditions and rituals, secrets and honour. Most of it went against the simplicity of war that he had been taught since his creation. By all accounts such things should have crippled a fighting force, but the Angels thrived.

Rage suddenly overcame Tadakiel, bringing the Lieutenant to his knees beneath the visages of his forefathers. If the Lord Commander could see his emotional outburst, what would he say? What would he think?

Damn the Lord Commander for making him different! He thought. He was not beholden to the Lord Commander's opinions. The blood of the Lion coursed through his veins as it did his brothers! He was an Angel of Shadow.

Tadkiel looked up at those who had created and shaped the Chapter. His Chapter. He was foolish to doubt his place. He was a Brother-Lieutenant Tadakiel of the Fourth Company. Placing his right hand over his primary heart, Tadakiel stood, looking each of the legends in the eye.

'Vaat Zahkrii haali,' he whispered, reciting the oath of the Angels of Shadow in the tongue of Invalice.

By the Sword in my hand!

Archived